The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #256
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe because half marathons are usually run on less rural turf and runners are spaced closer they're more likely to pick up a loose dog without drawing much attention except for the runners.

I got the impression the Alabama dog didn't stay with the same runners for the whole race, but spent more time at the water stations. Probably they wouldn't hand he a cup and had to scrounge what the runners discarded.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #257
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Meanwhile in London...

Blimp of London mayor flies above UK capital

A giant blimp of London Mayor Sadiq Khan hovered Saturday above Westminster in a crowdfunded protest against his record on tackling violent crime in the UK capital.

Name:  Heads.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  40.4 KB

A small crowd of supporters and members of the media gathered to see the giant balloon -- which depicts the mayor reclining in a small yellow bikini -- as it was flown for two hours, the Press Association news agency reported. …

Name:  Tails.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  22.9 KB

… Protest organizer Yanny Bruere, who describes himself as a British free speech advocate, said he had set up the crowdfunding campaign in response to London authorities' decision to allow a "Trump Baby" blimp to be flown during a visit to Britain in July by President Donald Trump.

He said the Parliament Square event would mark "the fightback for free speech in our country." ...

… The blimp's swimwear is a reference to a controversial weight-loss advertisement banned from the Transport for London network by Khan in 2016 that depicted a woman in a yellow bikini with the slogan "Are you beach body ready?" ...

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #258
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Girl wearing bikini is banned. But topless girls every day in each newstand is not? What and why is the reasoning?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #259
sexobon

He did it so his teenaged girls wouldn't be body shamed on public transportation. It had nothing to do with pandering to voters.

Name:  Heavenly body.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #260
sexobon

Meanwhile in Texas...

Stop, hey, what's that sound. Everybody look what's going down...

Were Alamo defenders ‘heroic’? Committee suggests removing the word from Texas curriculum.

Texas State Board of Education votes to erase Hillary Clinton [and Hellen Keller] from history curriculum

Clod? Clod? Anyone? Clod?
Old 09-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #261
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Good. Now get rid of all the remaining TEKS requirements, too, and teach the kids how to use critical thinking and expression to make their own arguments about whether a historical figure was heroic or made a worthy impact.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #262
sexobon

It looks like that Texas State Board of Education vote to erase Hillary Clinton from its history curriculum was a good call. Hillary requested that the State Department revoke her security clearance; so, they did. Ha! People knew she wasn't trustworthy and now it's official ('bout time she came clean).
Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #263
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Meanwhile in communications...
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #264
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This infographic is now very old.

Google, Apple now media giants

Comcast is now at the top of one of those heaps

CBS and Viacom are owned by one single holding company whose owner also owns Netflix

Disney hasn't owned Miramax since 2010 and Miramax is sorta hosed anyway

With a few exceptions, the newspapers are no longer powerful

Radio stations, where are the resuscitation paddles

For Millenials half of traditional TV viewing has moved to other platforms
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #265
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think iHeartRadio owns every staion on the fucking spectrum. Cant stand 'em.

Interrupt the fuckiHeartRadioing song to promo the staiHeartRadiotion (& iHeartRadio) I'm already listeiHeartRadioning to!? Yeah, fuck you iHeartiHeartRadioRadio.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #266
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

iHeartRadio filed for bankruptcy about 8 months ago. No reason to post profanity at them. Court will be more insulting.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #267
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Then they need to disappear.

Fuck 'em.

They're run by business school graduates, you know...and I'm sure they prolly use ViseGrips.

As a hand tool.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #268
sexobon

Meanwhile in Mississippi ...

Quote:
This 101-year-old woman brought down two deer with a single shot during hunting outing

Talk about getting bang for your buck.

A 101-year-old Mississippi woman managed to strike down two deer with one bullet during a recent hunting outing, the Clarion Ledger reported.

Bertha Vickers says she initially let one doe pass in hopes of a bigger deer showing up. When one did, she didn’t miss her shot.

"Then I saw two deer on the ground,” Vickers told the newspaper. “It shot plum through both of them. They both dropped right there. They didn't take another step. I knew it was back there, but I didn't realize it was that close to her where it could get shot." …

… She told the newspaper that she’s going to continue hunting for “as long as I can.”

Vickers, who lives in Morgantown, said she celebrated her triumph by helping to clean the deer and gave much of the meat to her grandchildren, aside from keeping a few steaks for herself.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 AM   #269
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder if she really comprehended the penetrating power of her ammo?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #270
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I wonder if her grandchildren threw all that meat in the trash because they'd rather just go to Subway?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote