The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)

You don't die of SIDS. SIDS is a high fallutin' way of saying "uh, i dunno why the kid died"

I had a friend whos wife was pregnant at the same time that jinx was carrying my oldest. we went to the same lemas classes. his kid died at 4 months while his wife napped with him on her chest. The DR's said it was sids. this was 5 years ago and I had all but forgotten about it as I have not seen Rod for years, but last night, jinx was reviewing some vaccination records compared with infant death reports. It was disgusting. one after another, the kids died 2 or 3 days after having multiple vaccines administered, and one after another, the autopsy showed cause of death to be SIDS. In some cases, they died IN THE DR's OFFICE!....still...cause of death: SIDS.

Back then, I didn't know much about vaccines or SIDS. Just that the kid should sleep on his side or back, blah blah blah. I didn;t know then that, at 4 months old, Rod's child had probably just undergone a series of vaccines. I don't know if Parker had just visited the DR, but I suspect that he had.

I am suspicious of Doctors to begin with because of their consistently superior attitude, ridiculous work schedules when they train, and because of the back door incentives that play such a big role in their day to day. My gut says there must be something going on with money here. Why are doctors and coroners adverse to admitting that vaccines can kill you? Jinx was trying to talk to me about it last night, but after about 5 minutes, I have to admit that I wanted to escape from it. I did not want to know about it. I'ts too depressing. I was happier researching the damaging effects of microwave cooking. It's been bugging me today though. What a fucked up system we have for health care. how elementally wrong.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The good news is, if you want to avoid having immunizations, it's not too hard to do. My mother believed they were harmful, and to this day I don't know which ones I actually got and which ones she forged on my record.

The only ones I know for sure I got were a Tetanus booster when I cut my foot, and the Measles-Mumps-Rubella booster you get as an adolescent, because I was old enough to remember getting them.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it's not actually all that easy anymore, clod. In PA, you have to have attest to a strong religious like opposition to them. This means that you can;t pick and choose which vaccines you want to give your kids. If you don't want ALL of them, you can;t give them any. Public Schools make life very difficult for those who choose not to vaccinate. It was a big factor in our decision to go the private school route. not the only one, but a big one.

maybe I want to vaccinate my kids against polio, but not chicken pox. too bad.

doctors are on the take from pharmaceutical companies. Some of them even refuse to see patients that decline the vaccines they want to push. They have to maintain a certain ratio of vaccinated patients in order to get some hidden cash from somebody.......

I understand that money makes the world go 'round. I understand that without money, and the potential for monetary gain, our system doesn;t work, but shit like this is counterproductive and potentially dangerous. very potentially.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
Clodfobble

You misunderstood me, I didn't mean legitimately protesting the vaccines (impossible even when I was a kid, there were certain ones they would not let you come to school without.) I just meant good ol' fashioned lying and forgery.

My mother found a custom stamp company, and ordered a stamp to exactly match the one they had at a local clinic, said "Travis Co. Health Department" or something. (She figured if they asked, she'd claim she worked for them and they lost their stamp, but the stamp company didn't give a damn.) Then she just continually stamped my record and signed illegible fake names each time it was time for a new vaccination. No one ever questioned it.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yeah, wow, i totally missed this:
Quote:
to this day I don't know which ones I actually got and which ones she forged on my record.
most people don't have those kind of cajones. I salute your momma. I'd wager that you didn;t die of any of those diseases, either. We actually had a 23-25yr old doctor tell us that she had seen kids die from measels. or mumps or some dumb shit. said it right to our face. I was thinking, "you're MAYBE 25 yrs old......you probably haven't even seen a case measels at all".
Old 06-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

We actually have a perfectly legal exemption for our kids (no need to forge anything jim). PA just combines religious and philosophical into one exemption.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

There is no such thing as a 25 year old doctor.

High school - 12 years
college/premed - 4 years
med school - 4 years
residency - 2 years

unless she was a child genius, she had to have been more like 30.

just nitpicking here

Brian
Old 06-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well, maybe she was a resident. It was a practice called "kids first" in Paoli. I'm pretty good with guessing ages, and this person was no older than her mid twenties. The point was that she lied right to our face. Measels and mumps are both treatable diseases. Once you get it, you get better with minimal medical attention and bed rest. I see no need to give my kids a vaccine(MMR) that has been linked ( arguably) to the rising rates of autism. fuck that.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #9
Clodfobble

Brian, it's reasonably common for kids to skip a grade, and it's also reasonably common for folks (who know their major from the beginning) to finish college in 3 years. That right there puts you at 26 even after your residency.

And "child genius" is a little extreme, but think about it, most people who go to med school ARE of above-average intelligence.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #10
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
Why are doctors and coroners adverse to admitting that vaccines can kill you? Jinx was trying to talk to me about it last night, but after about 5 minutes, I have to admit that I wanted to escape from it. I did not want to know about it. I'ts too depressing. I was happier researching the damaging effects of microwave cooking. It's been bugging me today though. What a fucked up system we have for health care. how elementally wrong.
True indeed. I oughta know: I am involved with doctors on one level or another just about every week now.

However, regarding vaccines: what is the ratio of children who have died from it to those who have not been affected by it?

I think that I got all my shots, but chicken pox I'm not sure of. God...if I didn't, I'm shit outta luck if I have to suppress my immune system for transplant.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
I had a friend whos wife was pregnant at the same time that jinx was carrying my oldest. we went to the same lemas classes. his kid died at 4 months while his wife napped with him on her chest. The DR's said it was sids. this was 5 years ago and I had all but forgotten about it as I have not seen Rod for years, but last night, jinx was reviewing some vaccination records compared with infant death reports. It was disgusting. one after another, the kids died 2 or 3 days after having multiple vaccines administered, and one after another, the autopsy showed cause of death to be SIDS. In some cases, they died IN THE DR's OFFICE!....still...cause of death: SIDS.
Is this information online? I'd like to see it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Re: Re: SIDS(sudden infant death syndrome)

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Is this information online? I'd like to see it.
Yes it is.
The VAERS database can be searched here , or you can follow the link there to download the database by year.
You can visit the CDC Faststats site to look up morbidity/mortality of the various 'vaccine preventable diseases' here . For example you'll find;
Measles

(Data are for U.S. for year in parentheses)
Morbidity

Number of new measles (rubeola) cases: 116 (2001)

Number of new German measles (rubella) cases: 23 (2001)

Source/more data: Health, United States, 2003, table 52

Vaccination

Percent of children ages 19-35 months vaccinated against measles: 91 (2001)

Source/more data: Health, United States, 2003, table 71

Mortality

Number of deaths: 1 (2001)

Source/more data Deaths: Final Data for 2001

to answer Ladysycamores question. However, you can't just search for MMR related injuries on VAERS. Infants/newborns receive 4-5 vaccines at a time these days so it's really impossible to tell which one might have caused a reaction.

Personally, I don't think that MMR is the cause of the autism epidemic, although I wouldn't completely rule it out as factor.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #13
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sampe search limited to Pennsylvania
Old 06-01-2004, 10:11 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I see no need for concern.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:11 PM   #15
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

I remember that SIDS terrified me when Ash was a baby. I thought after a year, she was safe, but I recently heard of "SIDS" cases in children up to three years old....I wonder if the vaccinations have anything to do with that? I mean, I figure if the vaccinations are going to cause an adverse reaction, it'll happen before the child is three...but damn...Ash is only two-and-a-half....

Thanks, LJ, you just gave my paranoid butt one MORE reason to check my child's breathing several times a night....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote