The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What music did you listen to when you were younger?

OK...I was going to make this a What was the first record you bought as a kid, but decided instead to broaden it out.

Thinking about when you were just starting to get into stuffs, what were you into?

Here's one of my first muscal obsessions. I think I was about 9, and though wasn't my first record ever, was my first album:

Last edited by DanaC; 02-24-2013 at 09:10 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Hmm ... the Stones; Led Zeppelin; CCW; Steppenwolf; ELP; Deep Purple; Van Morrison; Alice Cooper (!); Gordon Lightfoot (I am Canadian, after all); Leonard Cohen (ditto); Chicago; Fleetwood Mac; those are off the top of my head, there are more. The Beatles - never, I detested most of their music.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
DanaC

Oh I listened to all sorts of stuff. I used to listen to Mum's and Dad's records: everything from Cat Stevens to Wait a Minute Mister Postman...and of course everything my big brother got into I also got into *grins* he introduced me to all sorts of cool music. The Smiths, The Cure, Bob Dylan. He still does atcually. Most of my new music discoveries come via Martin:p

But Adam and the Ants was my first proper musical thing...that was mine, that I brought into the house (oh i am sure they were thrilled lol) and made everyone listen to. Bought the album with my own money (it was lovely, had gorgeous artwork).
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pop bought me a Webcor portable(still had to plug it in) radio/phonograph, and two 45rpm records, for my birthday. Rock Around the Clock, by Bill Haley, and Sixteen Tons, by Ernie Ford.
He also bought a bunch of albums(Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, etc), for he and Mom to play on "my" phonograph.

At school I joined a record club, and bought mostly country-western, heavy on Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, etc.
After graduation I bought a stereo and a whole library of music from Readers Digest... quite a broad spectrum from classical to Broadway... Ferde Grofé's Grand Canyon Suite gave me a woodie.

But mostly music was a radio thing and FM was a revelation. I'd work in the garage until the wee hours, mostly to listen to late night FM radio. Got a lot done that watching TV wouldn't allow, but that was a secondary benefit.

Then I discovered sex-drugs-rock-n-roll, and it was all a 1700 album downhill from there.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

The first two tapes I ever bought with my own money were Queen's Greatest Hits and Aerosmith's Nine Lives. That would've been '97/98 -- I was about thirteen.

ETA: I wrote CDs, originally, then remembered they were tapes!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

The first album I bought was AC/DC 'For Those About To Rock'.
But I still listen to the same stuff I listened to when I was young.
I grew up on country (Charlie Daniels, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline...)
But as a teenage knucklehead, I got into the punk scene.
(Nothing like getting chased by NYPD after a show at CBGBs...)
Now, it's southern rock, old school punk, metal, some alternative...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I think I was 6 or 7, and was in love with Olivia Newton John. Particularly the song, 'Have you ever been mellow?' I remember the album cover had a picture of her on the back....she had a halter top that you could just see, and the best collar bones and shoulders ... I still really like that part of a woman.

I also really liked Billy Joel's ' Shes always a woman'

Younger still, I recall singing American Pie.... And Credence's Midnight Special.

The first band I was a 'fan' of was KISS, though. Shudder.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

My very first record was this one. I was in first or second grade at the time. I loved it. I was also loved Peter Paul and Mary's Puff the Magic Dragon.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

The first song I ever remember hearing was "Like a Rolling Stone." But my first *favorite* songs were "Summer Song" by Chad and Jeremy, and "Downtown" by Petula Clark. I still love them.

My parents had a great record collection, that I had free access to starting when I was about 5 or 6. The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour (I thought that's what they really looked like)...Donovan's Sunshine Superman..Peter, Paul and Mary in Concert (Puff the Magic Dragon was on that, of course)...The Association's Insight Out...The Mama's and the Papa's If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears...Kai Winding !!!More!!!...the random 45 of the Peter Gunn theme song...

Then suddenly, I turned 12 and bought a record of my own: The Knack.

Makes sense, I guess.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

OOPS. THIS was my first record...
Name:  1837_DJ1.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  37.3 KB

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Pico and ME; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I was raised in a country house, so I think my first concert was Merle Haggard and one of the country women maybe Ann Murray. So it was a lot of outlaw country at home Willie, Waylon, Charlie Daniels, Kris Kristofferson. My only access to punk was a college radio show with a really bad signal but it made an impression. I phased through classic rock, blues, and metal during the musical desert eighties. Got into alternative and ska in the early nineties, then edged toward Celtic stuff for a few years. Right now I'm reviewing punk, finding new ska, and listening to everything Dave Grohl.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

My first obsessions

Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I was raised in a country house
I did think Downton Abbey for a second.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
glatt

My first album was probably Ronco's I Love Music, a cheesy disco compilation by various artists. Featuring things like the disco Fifth of Beethoven, Neil Diamond's I Write The Songs, and Rubber Band Man. There was even some early Hall and Oates on there too.

Second album was the Star Wars soundtrack, and third album was a Beach Boys Greatest.

Then I was off to a huge Beatles run that lasted a few years.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I did think Downton Abbey for a second.
Hahahaahahhah me too!