The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
limegreenc
shed door curio

Laryngitis

I'm getting Laryngitis again. Had it last November and missed 2 weeks of unpaid work. Have to hit a clinic and get me some good drugs, to fend it off. My hubby doesn't seem to mind...makes comments like 'it's so quiet in the house'. Only thing about going to clinics is people there are always worse off than you are, so I pick something else up along the way. Oh Joy
limegreenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Yuck. Hope you feel better soon!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
limegreenc
shed door curio

According to Dr Shar I do not have laryngitis, but sinusitis. I purchased a product called HydraSense, which is a do it yourself nasal spray. It really works for $18. What a relief!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's silly. The suffix -itis just means "inflamed." Is your voice hoarse? You by definition have laryngitis. This says nothing about what's causing it--bacteria, virus, fungus, mucous drainage from your concurrent sinusitis, or good ol' physical trauma--it just states the condition of the tissue or organ.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
limegreenc
shed door curio

According to the Doc if you only have a sore throat and fever you've got laryngitis. The larynx must have white pus on it. My voice was hoarse and my sinus'/ears/left side of my face were extremely sore, but no white stuff
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

*shrug* WebMD, PubMed, and plenty of other places agree that your doc is wrong. Pus is not at all required for a basic diagnosis of laryngitis. Pus indicates infection, which is one cause of laryngitis, along with many other things.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
limegreenc
shed door curio

Yes you are correct, he did explain other symptoms to having laryngitis... Half the time people who go to clinics are looking for a prescription. My experience has been that doctors go towards the use of inhalers and/or no-prescription cures. 1/2 the time you make a return trip a week later sicker than you were.
Last year when I missed 2 weeks work for vertigo, the doctor told me that Gravol should do the trick-it didn't. I ended up in Emerg the following Saturday with a bag lunch, as 10 hour wait times are the norm. The er doctor said why didn't I come to them sooner...Duh.
Today I feel good. The Hydrasense is doing it's job. Lucky for me-I doubt I'll miss any work this week.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
limegreenc
shed door curio

back to the clinic today

Yeah, so I DO have laryngitis. Saw a REAL doctor (not an intern)who diagnosed me right away. Ironically because I have an autoimmune disease (skin thing), 2 weeks ago I'd acquired a case of hives that the doc says is my body's way of telling me I've got an infection.
So I'm off for the next 2 days/without pay you ASSHOLE because I'm contagious now.
be Grateful I've got insurance for my meds, be grateful I didn't have to pay for a doctors note, be grateful I've got a beautiful weekend off (5 1/2 days). be grateful it was Fuckhead's day off at the clinic
Old 09-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I first got laryngitis at a music festival.
It was diagnosed in the medical tent but they were basic first aiders (the next year one steri-stripped a cut which my GP later told me really should have been stitched)

By the time I got home I was in a frenzy of illness and was told off by the Dr for leaving it so long without treatment. I've done worse to myself since.
Even I could see the damage in the mirror if I compressed my tongue (so supressing the gag reflex does have other uses!) I literally had buboes.

Anyway it seems to have gone on my medical records as for the next few years I suffered from throat infections and while Doctors generally hate self-diagnoosis, they took one look, shook their collective heads and said knowingly, "Well you do have a history."

Anyway Green you have my deepest and sorest sympathy.
I know that pain very well.

Last edited by Sundae; 09-26-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote