The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #2656
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Currently trying to read "I Hunt Killers", by Barry Lyga.

Quote:
Jazz is a likable teenager. A charmer, some might say.

But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, "Take Your Son to Work Day" was year-round.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #2657
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I always forget about this thread - I think because it seems to move fast, but also a lot of my reading doesn't seem to fit in (from what I remember when I posted a couple times).

I saw some others using goodreads, so I wanted to invite you to come friend me on there I am blbst36 on there. I have a goal of 52 books to read this year and I have finished 26 so far.

I also just looked and realized I don't know where one of the books I am reading is actually at and I want to read it - lol
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #2658
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Now on A Clash of Kings.

Which I shouldn't be, as I still have four library books to read. But I missed Daenerys so much I had to start it. I'll find out what I've been reading recently and post it soon; some of them were really quite good.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #2659
limegreenc
shed door curio

From Survival to Recovery
Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #2660
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure what genre Discworld has transformed into. It's not really comedy anymore; sort of satire blended with historical fiction set in a fantasy world. Which, since the definition of "historical fiction" is a fictional stories set in the real world, is hard to do.

Pratchett hasn't lost his touch yet, but a preemptive Fuck Alzheimers. Any book could be his last.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #2661
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"The Normans: From Raiders To Kings" by Lars Brownworth

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #2662
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Head To Head" by Linda Ladd

Old 07-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #2663
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Been delving into the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz...currently on the 2nd book. Also read Food Rules by Michael Pollan and OITNB. I tried reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, but it pissed me off.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #2664
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Love Odd Thomas.

Checked out the movie yet? "Odd Thomas" is currently on Netflix, I believe.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #2665
Griff
still says videotape

Finally finished American Gods. I can't wait for the tv series! Now focused mainly on Lawrence In Arabia. Side reading on bees and disabilities.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #2666
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Love Odd Thomas.

Checked out the movie yet? "Odd Thomas" is currently on Netflix, I believe.
I've seen some of it, which pushed me to read the books. I'm now on book 3, Brother Odd.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #2667
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Far From the Madding Crowd

What a gem:

Quote:
When Farmer Oak smiled, the corners of his mouth spread till they were within an unimportant distance of his ears, his eyes were reduced to chinks, and diverging wrinkles appeared round them, extending upon his countenance like the rays in a rudimentary sketch of the rising sun.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #2668
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Beautiful.

Recent reads:

Goddamn Scary Monsters, by Rick Gualtieri - the fifth book in the Tome of Bill series. Hilarious and still very much on form. I love Bill the Vampire. A real antidote to the Twiglet vamps.

usually I get the audiobooks because the narrator is kickass. But, I couldn't afford it this time so got the kindle edition - loved it - and the narrator's voice was clear enough in my mind that i could basically hear him telling me the story

Mort (The Fearlanders), by Joseph Duncan

A zombie apocalypse take with a difference. Great book - funny and tragic by turn. Also:

Cattle set in the same Fearlanders world but around ten years later - possibly one of the darkest books I have read in a very long time. Genuinely disturbing in a way that most zombie fiction really isn't. Ten years after the outbreak and some of the zombies have regained their minds and memories - but not their emotions. They have won the war - humans are few and far between. The new clever zombies have taken to farming humans for meat.

It's beautifully written and doesn't pull its punches. I haven't finished it yet - needed to take a break from the tension. I highly recommend this book.

Wilt, by Tom Sharpe - I've read this book several times over the years but it's probably over a decade since I last revisited Henry Wilt. I still love him. it's a brilliant book. The cat and mouse game between Wilt and the Inspector (who is convinced he has killed his wife) still makes me laugh out loud and cheer him on. The man with the jackrabbit mind indeed.

There have been a bunch of others that I can't be arsed listing (some zombie apocalypse, natch, also some space exploration type stuff) might come back to at some point.

Currently reading:

Last Night, by Stephen Leather - the fifth book in the Jack Nightingale series. As with the Tome of Bill, I'd previously listened to these on audio but went with a kindle edition this time - and again, I can clearly hear the narrator which is great.

Nightingale is a great character - and the books are a nice mix of crime fiction and supernatural shenanigans. None of them quite hit like the first - which was spooky as hell and really got under my skin, but they're still good fun and well written.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #2669
elSicomoro

Let's see how many books I can juggle at one time...working on Book 3 of Odd Thomas, already have Book 4. Started Fast Food Nation last night. Also been reading Ron Burgundy's "autobiography" off and on for about a month. And I want some Jim Hightower books now.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #2670
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Finished the English Patient, also A Most Wanted Man by Le Carre

Good stuff.

Tags
books