The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Male facial hair - what's your preference...?
I'm a smooth bastard - it's electric for me - I just love the hum and buzz of hair removal 7 26.92%
I'm a wet man - nothing to beat dragging a blunted strip of metal across your face on a daily basis 16 61.54%
None of those ponsy things for me - when my facial hair starts to irritate a pull it out in bunches 0 0%
Let it grow, man, let it grow.... 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beest View Post
So that's options 2 and 4, plus using an electric trimmer once a week so 1 also. :p

Dad started wearing a beard when working for Players and winninga competition to look like the Navy Cut Man.
we can work on option 3 if you like :p

BTW, hadn't realized how much your dad looked like that guy. Your uncle Percy more so, though -and it's not just the sailor's uniform.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 AM   #32
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexmons View Post
i shave my head and my face at the same time, once a week with clippers.
That sounds quite difficult - I'm picturing right hand shaving the face while left hand works on the head. I bet you're a wow at that rub-your-tum-and-pat-your-head-at-the-same-time game - well, at least, I hope you are....
Old 06-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #33
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Anyone else ever use a straight razor? I had the interesting experience, yesterday, of getting a haircut and having one used on my sideburns and neck. I didn't expect it, but once I realized what was being dragged across my face, I quickly stopped talking and remained as motionless as possible. Wow, do those things look dangerous!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When I was a kid, they used a straight razor around the ears and around the back, every time. Over the years they seem to have gotten away from that but the young lady that cut my hair last week, used a straight razor around the back of my neck.
Gave me flashbacks... 50 year flashbacks..... made me feel 12 again.

I gave her a $10 tip on a $15 haircut.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #35
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

We get the straight razors (or cutthroats as they are more appropriately named here) at most barbers/gents hairdressers. They have the reputation of making the hair return more slowly where they are used, so sideburns, behind the ears and back of the neck are the usual areas to get treatment. I've only ever ventured once as far as a cutthroat shave - there was a reason - the obvious one!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #36
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

When I saw the thread title I thought "Ribs!" Then I realized this wasn't the food thread.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #37
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
I sure as hell don't -- I hate shaving and I detest Gillette's marketing campaign just as much as I despise every one of their wacky new products that attempts to make the chore of removing facial hair require $10 blades that vibrate, ooze, rotate, or glide on springs. Shaving with a blade does not require an AAA battery.
This is at least partially walmart's fault. As a supplier to them gillette needs to either lower there price on an existing product or bring out a new value add to an existing product every year. Guess which lets them make more money. It's the same reason for the ridiculous profusion of toothbrushes now available.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #38
perth
Strong Silent Type

I have a love/hate relationship with shaving. I try to do it as rarely as possible, but always enjoy the experience. I use a mugcake for the lather, and I get the water as hot as possible. I've been known to add boiling water to the sink if it's not hot enough out of the tap.

I currently use the Mach3 Turbo. It's not too bad. I think the "science" behind the vibration is that it causes the blade to saw through the hair. I'm not sure I buy it. I'd like to get a nice single-blade safety razor. However, I haven't drawn any significant blood in years and I suspect my first few times using one would start my day a bit more crimson than I like.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 AM   #39
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Wink Wet or Dry

Still use a twin blade razor with an old fashioned barbers brush and shaving soap in the shower. Electric razors are annoying and irritating.
Nothing like a good hot shave.
JuancoRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #40
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth View Post
I think the "science" behind the vibration is that it causes the blade to saw through the hair. I'm not sure I buy it.
You shouldn't. Notice how you don't see those commercials describing the mechanism, anymore?

Quote:
Hall's ruling on Wednesday said the depiction in Gillette advertising was "greatly exaggerated" and "literally false."

"We firmly believe that since the day the M3Power was launched a year ago, Gillette has deceived consumers about the performance of this product," Lynch said.

But Szynal said the computer-generated image of the razor lifting hair away from the skin was never meant to be taken literally.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

But "sawing through" and "lifting up and away" are different mechanisms?

I had heard that straight blade razor barbers have learned how to slightly move the blade sideways to gain the best effect
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #42
Gaelic Ninja
Geek

They are, a bit. Up and away is like pulling thread tight so that you can cut it easier.

Me? I'm more a fan of not shaving except when it's important.
Gaelic Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #43
monster
I hear them call the tide

You need to add another option to the poll: fatlah
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #44
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

I use old school Trac IIs when I'm after the last word in "nice and clean." If it's a bit more of a hurry I'm in, the Remington electric gives me a buzzjob, but that just isn't as close, no matter what.

I've used a straight razor a few times -- trickier to get the edge angle right than with a handled razor. It's a far slower shave than with doubled blades, which I am not convinced shave any closer or "below the grade" but which does complete the job faster, so the multiblade head is really a plus.

In boot camp, even with the Trac II I never could pass the ultimate test of a close clean shave: the edge of a military ID card scraped along the jawline, listening for the scratchy sound of the merest stubble. My beard was too hefty.

I look very vaguely like that Players guy -- after he retires from the service. The mustache gets about that big if a little leaner drawn, and now the beard is going steadily more gray.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 06-25-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote