The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Cloud

Should I complain about this dog?

A neighbor a few doors down from me allows his/her dog out without a leash. It comes onto my patio and barks at my cats.

I know it's nice, because it also came around when my granddaughters were out on the patio and they petted it. But just the fact that it's allowed to roam free like that bugs the shit out of me. What if it wasn't a nice dog? I know the owner knows that the dog gets out, because I hear it being called.

I'm not sure exactly who, but I'm thinking of knocking on some doors and politely requesting that the keep the dog confined unless it's on a leash. I'm sure it's against the apartment rules. I'd rather not cause a scene, or complain to my apts. though, unless absolutely necessary. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Dogs just wanna have fun.

Seriously that's a tough one. I don't think I'd be concerned if he wants to bark at your cats, the cats are probably laughing at the dog...but a dog you don't know well with your grandchildren might worry me.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You should talk to your neighbour Cloud. The dog might seem nice, but you just never know. You don't want it to get into the habit of hanging out at your place.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Yes.
Okay, I decided before I even read the post

But seriously - dog allowed to roam free? Bad idea.
The nicest dog in the world can turn, given the right trigger - my opinion, YMMV - and even apart from that there are other hazards. Tearing at garbage bags/ knocking over bins, chasing cats (natural but unfair on cats) crapping all over the pavement and/or where children play, running into the road causing an accident etc etc.

Letting dogs out alone here is also not the norm and where they are found to be, they are picked up for rehoming (or the owner is contacted for a word if the dog can be identified). That's not because we are killjoys, it's for good reason.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Cloud

to be honest, little yappy dogs kinda scare me. When I do my walking (which is in the main part of the apts, not the back) occasionally there will be a done running free. It's the little ones that totally freak me out and have me scuttling back to my hovel in double time.

Kinda like my old place, where there was a family of skunks living nearby.

or was it porcupines?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Casually ask your neighbor if they ever watch Judge Judy (or any of the other TV Judge shows), and mention how sad it is to see pet owning neighbors having to deal with the injury, often unintended, to pets or people. If they don't get that you mean their pet, you might need to get more direct at that point. But it's a good entre' into the topic.

Since the health of both your neighbor's and your pets are at stake, I think you have to say something.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Cloud

that's a good idea, Wolf, but . . . pretty hard to be casual like that, after I knock on people's doors and say, hey, do you own this dog? uh . . . ever watch Judge Judy?

I'm not that suave.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Shawnee123

lol!

Judge Mathis is pretty cool.

Yeah, but, you have to say something.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
that's a good idea, Wolf, but . . . pretty hard to be casual like that, after I knock on people's doors and say, hey, do you own this dog? uh . . . ever watch Judge Judy? Your dog just ate my champion cat!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If you don't already know the neighbor, I think there's no way that conversation can go well. Just alert the apartment complex, let them deal with it. And either way, yes, I would definitely do something about it. Dogs roaming the neighborhood is not okay.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Cloud

but see, I would have a personal aversion to anyone complaining to the mgmt. about me . . . without at least trying to work it out first. I don't think that's right.

also, if I complained to the mgmt., I could do so anonymously.

but I'd feel like a coward for taking the easy way out.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Aliantha

Just have a talk to the neighbour Cloud. Or pop a note into their mailbox. Chances are they don't realise that their dog is being a bother and will do something about it. There are always going to be arseholes though, and if your neighbours happen to be that way inclined, then you have every right to complain to the management.

Is there a pet policy for the complex?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Cloud

pets are allowed per the discretion of the mgmt; dogs up to a certain number of pounds, but on leashes.

One neighbor I had, had a yappy, barky, dog--barked all the time, and to be honest, that was worse.

But I don't like him barking at my cats! And yeah, they didn't seem to scared, so they were probably laughing at him.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Aliantha

Well, if it doesn't bother you then don't worry about saying anything, but you do have a right to speak up if you think the dog situation is out of line. You pay rent too.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Shawnee123

I never mind the interaction of dogs and cats, if it seems to be not dangerous.

Still, I would not want to be responsible for an unknown doggie running over and being an ass whenever it got out. And the barking? No way. People will say they don't even hear their own dog barking. Yet it can wake up the whole neighborhood? I find that to be pet owner laziness.