The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What show are you buzzing on at the moment?

At any one time I may be into several shows, but there's usually one that gets right under my skin. Sometimes it's a deep hourly episode drama, other times a light 20 minute comedy, but there's usually one show that I find edging my thoughts during the day, and can't wait to get back to come nighttime. This is especially true of shows with a back catalogue...

So, right now the show I'm really buzzing on is: Community.

Wow. What a stunning little sit-com. Clever and affectionate and witty. Everyone in it is awesome. Love it.

The first series was great. But I'm now a couple of eps into series 2 and it's even better. The format is just so open and free for them to play with almost any theme or story.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-27-2013 at 04:43 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
wanderer
Master of the Domain

"American Horror Story"....purchased it on Amazon couple of days back. Wanted some good creepy stuff and damn, I was in for treat.

Its sad that cinematography and direction are messed up for most of the 'horror' flicks these days. And don't get me even started on the production values. AHS does quite a decent job overcoming these fundamental flaws. Not extra-ordinarily special, but yes, extremely watchable and bang for buck.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

"Call the Midwife" on PBS is the best series I've been hooked on
in a very long time... even better than "The Onedin Line"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Its sad that cinematography and direction are messed up for most of the 'horror' flicks these days.
(I think I managed to avoid spoilers, unless you haven't seen 30 year old movies and were just waiting for the right time.)

What about writing?

Watching Star Trek: Into Darkness sparked my wife and I on to rewatching Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and The Voyage Home. The writing in those was so. much. better.

Dialogue was great. Emotional, witty and fun. Stories were lush, with some chains of causation paying off only after 3 movies (Kirk's journey from Admiral back to Captain, where we all know he belongs).

The new series is very enjoyable, but doesn't have the depth. Lots of echos to the original movies and that's about it. Into Darkness did pretty well echoing Khan at a pre-Khan canon-relative time.

To me, if the bulk of your foreshadowing pays off in 45 minutes you are cheating the story. Cheesy little back-references do not make a deep story.

I noticed similar issues with Fast & Furious 6, but the prior art in the franchise doesn't lead to high expectations. Full of "we repeated a line that was funny/meaningful in a previous movie, aren't we clever?" One instance of which was accompanied by a wink almost directly into the fourth wall. Which in itself can be fine, but either have the confidence to camp it up or don't.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
(I think I managed to avoid spoilers, unless you haven't seen 30 year old movies and were just waiting for the right time.)
You did avoid them. Cause primarily that was the stuff I was comparing these new entries against. I mean I can still go back to those Evil Dead movies and get a genuine creep show (and they recently did a re-make which is a pathetic gore fest. Period)

Quote:
What about writing?
Well I will say I missed out on raving about writing
Louder noises, costlier sets and expensive artists with a group of money holders don't need writing either. It doesn't sell anymore. No more quality, people.

And I even didn't try to watch to new Star-Trek. It might be watchable but I know it will end up ruining the value I had for the series. Naah, no more sci-fi with actual depth or story. More bang-bang there. (What a cynical being I am!)
Did Watch "Fast & Furious 6". And my only reaction was what!? Its mean to be entertaining with all that make-believe action. But come on, there is a limit! I better go back to that Chuck Norris stuff. At least it was hilarious enough.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
DanaC

ha! Looking for Community clips (at 01:30 ....ffs...what is wrong with me??) and stumbled onto this fun little analysis of Community as a postmodern masterpiece :P

Old 06-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
DanaC

Ohhhh man. Season 3 is totes amazeballs! Some of the best comedy I've seen in the last ten years.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Just this weekend, I finished watching it on Hulu. Big fan.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Norm Macdonald Live! Live Mondays on YouTube.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Samurai Jack!
Got all four seasons from a friend. Beat that
Old 04-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
DanaC

Right now, I am buzzing on waaaay too many shows.

Like, I had today off - no thesis revisions to do, no telesales, no nothin' - I can just veg out to the tv/stream and catch up on my current shows. It took me an hour just to decide what to watch. Too many awesome shows.

Trouble is, I end up totally obsessing over a show - especially if I find one with a big back catalogue ("no, you don't say, Dana. Really, we hadn't noticed"). So, I end up watching episodes back to back during whatever time I have available for tv at night - and all the other, current shows fall away for a bit.

Today I decided to come up for air, from my current tv obsession (Lost). But, like I say there are just too many shows: there's Person of Interest, Arrow, Elementary, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Banished, Last Week Tonight. I'm buzzing on all of them.

So, I went with Arrow. I kind of felt a little down on Arrow a few eps back - wasn't feeling the love for our ragtag little gang of masked crusaders. But, it's really kicked back into gear. I love the music and the fight scenes.

I'm glad Felicity is getting the chance to be brilliant, funny and geeky again - the weepy stuff was getting tired.

[eta] oh, yeah, and Walking Dead - I fell off it about 2 weeks from the end - really want to catch that up too.

But the island is calling to me...

Last edited by DanaC; 04-17-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Backstrom"

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ya know what Dani? It's not just the three lagers talking, but I really love you. You are so funny with your enthusiasm for your shows. I just want to give you a big squeeze.

I definitely didn't do any Es...

Old 04-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Vikings
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

HunterXHunter now

just finished Kill la Kill.

Hunter has a bit of a build up, say, the first three or more episodes. Kill, on the other hand, "builds up" about as much as the travel needed for the trigger finger to get things off to a bang!