The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Snow Day 2005!

Crap, its starting to sleet. We have some lovely snow right now though.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Totally missed us here in the big city. I'll take snow over anything ice related anyday.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:04 AM   #3
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

yeah.. well tuesday it started with a nice little drizzle then the temperature dropped like a rock.. so although not alot in the way of accumulation.. there is a nice 1/2+ of ice topped with some nice really slick crunchy snow.. I'm glad I had tuesday/wednesday off work... other than the power outages, there was some good eating and good videogame playing, good luck stock up on food and libations!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Here in east central Iowa we got about 12", I ended up staying home Tues and Wed (my 35mi commute wasn't gonna happen) with my 2 yr old and having a good old fashioned snow day(s). It was the most fun I've had in a LONG time. Took her sledding and buried each other...wasn't good packing snow though, so the snow puppy has to wait till next time
Old 01-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

We lost our satellite signal until sometime today due to the ice build up. The skiing is gonna be crap for a while, since the crust is so thick, but we'll try.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
Snow days = fireplaces and hot spiced cider. Keep the door shut and don't let any of that <i>brrrr</i> get in!

*shakes head* burying people in the snow.... that's crazy talk!

Earlier this week it had been frigid, negatives and all that rot. Oh, was I ever the grumpy one. We're looking at mid-fifties for the weekend, though.

I like Colorado.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #7
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

We lost our satellite signal until sometime today due to the ice build up.
Griff this may sound weird but defrost your dish , and spray it with PAM ( spray on nonstick cooking stuff ) , I know it sounds weird but we had the same problem a few years ago , i sprayed the dish down and we have been thru 3-4 ice and snow storms and haven't had the problem since .
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Seriously bro? How did you thaw it out? Our signal is iffy this morning as well.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Seriously bro? How did you thaw it out?...

You could try buying it a few drinks and a candle light dinner...

Ooookay...how 'bout a hair dryer and a really long extention cord?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks 404, I looove Pepsi through my nose.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #11
404Error
Lecturer

Mmmm...clears out the old sinuses, huh?

need a tissue?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

MY ice storm took out power to Hazleton for up to three days, wiped out innumerable trees and such and made the roads slick.

It also did minor damage to my house...lost two of three apple trees, lost a limb from a tall maple which may or may not kill it come spring, took down part of a gutter, broke a window, cost me an hours' sleep in the middle of the night and burst a water pipe (which ran for days until it was noticed and shut off). That one is partly my fault for not turning off the water inside in the fall. Thank goodness I have an alert neighbor who has been checking the house once a week or so. Otherwise I'd likely have to replace the water pump too. I bet my electric bill is bigger this month too.

Too bad I don't have a camera to take pictures...the trees bent in half are almost pretty, until you look at the ones laying on my house....

Brian
Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Bummer.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #14
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

I'm thinking that this past Saturday was a doozy of a "snow day". Around 10 inches of snow (more in some areas), and more to come from what I've heard lately.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote