The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
glatt

That would actually be cool. I like match light as well.

I like knobs and hate touch pads that have a flexible membrane to jamb your finger against to try to make contact with a button underneath. Ideally, there will be a knob for each burner, a selector knob to choose bake or broil, and a temperature knob for the oven. 6 knobs total. A small toggle switch to turn on the oven light. Nothing digital anywhere. Except maybe a temperature reading.

I like a drawer under the oven to store the cookie sheets and lasagna pans, but it should have a smooth motion. Preferably drawer slides using ball bearings. The drawer should be removable so you can reach under the range to collect dead mouse carcasses or stuff you drop behind the range.

I like the modern looking restaurant style burners that cover the whole top with a gray surface underneath to hide dirt and grime. I hate cleaning the stove top.

I like an upper "back splash" on the cook top with the vent from the oven exiting the top of the back splash where the venting air will not impact the function of the cook top burners.

Many modern gas ranges have a steam cleaning feature where you pour water into a depression on the oven floor and turn the oven on to steam everything loose.

Basically, I'm describing a Viking that goes for $6K. But there are some GE's that come close and if you are willing to risk an LG they make one that hits most of those marks too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #17
glatt

Look at this BS. This is the $1K GE gas range that is otherwise pretty good.

Name:  GE 1K.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  32.3 KB
Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That is an abomination. UI is simply not considered for products like this. Now I'm angry too.

The only thing that would be worse is if, to reach this control panel, you have to reach directly across a set of gas burners that may be lit. Don't tell me, I already know.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have you checked for those places that refurbish the old stoves?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #20
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Have you checked for those places that refurbish the old stoves?

I'd love it if such places actually exist.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Craigslist
Habitat for Humanity Store
ReStore
Joe's Used Appliance and Ottoman Emporium

Come on man, I plumbed and installed my own gas range, installed a backsplash from a different range and didn't even make the news. You gave birth to a flippin bandsaw.

You can do this.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'd love it if such places actually exist.
I googled it and there are quite a few of them, but the Prices I saw would give you apoplexy.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #23
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
That would actually be cool. I like match light as well.

I like knobs and hate touch pads that have a flexible membrane to jamb your finger against to try to make contact with a button underneath. Ideally, there will be a knob for each burner, a selector knob to choose bake or broil, and a temperature knob for the oven. 6 knobs total. A small toggle switch to turn on the oven light. Nothing digital anywhere. Except maybe a temperature reading.

I like a drawer under the oven to store the cookie sheets and lasagna pans, but it should have a smooth motion. Preferably drawer slides using ball bearings. The drawer should be removable so you can reach under the range to collect dead mouse carcasses or stuff you drop behind the range.

I like the modern looking restaurant style burners that cover the whole top with a gray surface underneath to hide dirt and grime. I hate cleaning the stove top.

I like an upper "back splash" on the cook top with the vent from the oven exiting the top of the back splash where the venting air will not impact the function of the cook top burners.

Many modern gas ranges have a steam cleaning feature where you pour water into a depression on the oven floor and turn the oven on to steam everything loose.

Basically, I'm describing a Viking that goes for $6K. But there are some GE's that come close and if you are willing to risk an LG they make one that hits most of those marks too.
You've put a lot of thought into this, and I agree with every point you make But Bruce has a point . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Now it's like having a grenade that can pull it's own pin.
Every time I see a news story about how someone's natural gas stove, heater, fireplace, etc., has blown the ever-lovin' shit out of their house - or an entire neighborhood block! - I'm extremely thankful I have an all-electric house.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #24
Griff
still says videotape

Og like cook in fire pit or eat raw. Actually I have an all electric house as well. With a tight house suffocation is a thing as well as blowing shit up.

Right there with you on controls glatt. So far I like everything about my Subaru except the music interface, give me knobs and buttons. I would hope that hipsters would start demanding these things, of course they pay a premium.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
glatt

While perusing owners manuals of various ovens to try to really understand them.

Quote:
Odors and smoke are normal when the oven is used the first few times, or when it is heavily soiled.
IMPORTANT: The health of some birds is extremely sensitive to the fumes given off. Exposure to the fumes may result in death to certain birds. Always move birds to another closed and well-ventilated room.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Well, duh. Feature, not bug. Who wants to eat live turkey?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #27
Flint
Snowflake

Canary in the coalmine ??

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #28
Griff
still says videotape

Move the bird out the gas...
Old 05-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #29
glatt

My wife woke up first this morning, went downstairs, and wondered why it was so hot. Then she walked into the kitchen and the oven was turned on and hot.

My iPhone was also turned on when I woke up. I know that happens when the power flickers. If the phone is turned off and plugged in to the charging cord, the phone powers back on. Same thing happens if it's turned off while plugged in, and the power comes back on.

So now I'm wondering if our old oven also turned on in the middle of the night (3:30am because I remember something woke me up then, and a vibrating phone on the bedside bookcase would do that.) The plastic membrane cover over the touch pad has a crack in it.

All this is to say that we should really buy a new range shortly.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or you can wait for the insurance company to buy you one after the fire. A stove turning itself on in the middle of the night of when you're not home is absolutely unacceptable. That should never be possible.