The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Old school Anime

Look what I found in a dollar store.

For those not familiar with it. Tobor was one a a number of early anime cartoons in the early 60's or as I like to think of it 20 B.C. (before cable).

I remember:

Speed Racer
Tobor the 8th Man
Astroboy
Marine Boy

I haven't watched the Youtube link yet, but I still remember part of the Tobor theme song.

"Call Tobor, the 8th man!"

My expectations are so high I'm almost afraid to watch it for fear that I'll notice all of the flaws. You can't go back again.

Attached Images

I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
My expectations are so high I'm almost afraid to watch it for fear that I'll notice all of the flaws. You can't go back again.
I know what you mean. I recently viewed some of the animated Star Trek episodes from the early 1970s for the first time in about 36 years. The animator, Filmation must have had some rather lackluster quality control. Due to dust or poor lighting I could literally see the outlines of an acetate cell one of the ships was painted on as they moved it over a starry background. Never would have noticed that as a kid.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I watched the youtube of the opening theme. It's amazing how familiar it was to me when I saw it again.

Very cheesy.

I also checked out Marine Boy, Astroboy, and Simba on Youtube. Astroboy is a real artifact. The first Japanese comic turned into a cartoon. It looks primitive, but in a kind of cool way. Animated Star Trek and Fantastic Voyage cartoons just look cheap by comparison.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 07-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Don't forget Prince Planet and Johnny Cypher In Dimension Zero.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Don't forget Prince Planet and Johnny Cypher In Dimension Zero.
Never saw them. But I did forget Jonny Quest. Coolest cartoon theme song ever!

BTW, I just looked it up on IMDB and found out that Tim Matheson was the voice for Jonny.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Star Blazers was my favorite. I went so far as to acquire an informal copy of Space Battleship Yamato (the original Japanese version)--it had English subtitles, while no official release, in any DVD region, did. (May have changed since then.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh yes, we had a fair collection of fansubbed tapes back in the day. Funimation changed all that when they started buying the rights to absolutely everything they could get their hands on.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hey, Prince Planet, Gigantor, and a little Kimba The White Lion gave me a taste for big-eye art that endures to this day.