The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Buying a New Car

US-centric thread, sorry.

I hate it. I need help. Yes, this is our second new car this year. Yes, the minivan, yes we need a new van. Must have slidey doors.

No more info about needs/lokes/wants b/c everyone ignores them anyway. Test drove the Town and Country today, quite liked it.

We're (apparently but it kinda surprised us given our upbringings.....) "buy new, run for 10+ years" kind of people.

need advice about buying new cars, current minivans, test-driving, dealer-speak etc.....

But before all y'all tell us how to bargain...... Beest is "in the industry-ish" and we get 1% below invoice on the T&C So if you want to advise on the price aspect, there's a starting point. (and again, all advice welcome, thanks)
Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
monster

oh and getting finance is not an issue -focus is on total $ paid, not monthly payments, if that makes sense.... Although not complaining about a good deal -just hear that some people pick their cars by monthly payment regardless of final cost......
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I do adore our MPV. Which they are now apparently calling a "Mazda5" instead. But the thing that has always made it awesome is how the third row magically collapses completely flat into the floor, leaving a whole truck bed's worth of space in the back. I can't tell from the Mazda website if the damn thing even does that anymore.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
monster

tx. the t&c does that too.

Minivans are called MPVs in the UK
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This is actually a rather timely thread for me--our previously mentioned MPV is displaying 175,000 miles of hard use right now. We are expecting it to be dead in another year or so, and need to start getting an idea of what's out there.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Brother's family likes their Honda Odyssey...often hauling three kids and a large dog, and various other eccentrics, um...relatives.

It's sharp. State o' the art.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
glatt

My understanding is the MPV is a different vehicle than the Mazda5. The Mazda5 is smaller and more fuel efficient and maneuverable with fairly cramped seating, and the MPV is a standard sized minivan with the fuel economy you would expect from one.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

We're actually replacing our 2000 Venture too. Probably next year.

Front running candidate for the new vehicle is the Toyota FJ.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Brother's family likes their Honda Odyssey...often hauling three kids and a large dog, and various other eccentrics, um...relatives.

It's sharp. State o' the art.
By all reviews Odysseys are the cream of the crop, with a price tag to match, I don't get any deal on them.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Give me a call tomorrow if I can help, monstah.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
monster

OK so I'm pissed right now. I just got this email and I call BS. Am I right?

Quote:

Hi Monster,

I just got a call from a customer that wanted a base model Town & Country. The one you drove is the only one we have. When your husband comes in do you think you all would want that particular T&C that we drove? Availability is short with 2012s and if you want that vehicle I will not show it to this customer.

Thanks,

Suspected Wanker

Cueter Chrysler
This sound very familiar, having just bought a Fit in January. Is that a rat I are smelling?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I call BS. Classic car (and other type) sales M.O.

We had a T&C for about ten years; it was a pretty good car. Every North American vehicle we ever owned had major issues, though (the T&C had chronic A/C problems and the struts dissolved in rust; other cars were worse). Every Toyota we owned was great - driven to 200,000 miles with regular maintenance and no other issues.

If you drive a vehicle 10+ years, as you said, you might want to look at Toyotas.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
glatt

"Yeah, buddy. You go ahead and show the car to that 'other customer.' Have fun with that."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Unimaginative, blatantly lying. Do not buy from a liar.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
monster

It's just offensive, really. Did I really appear that dumb? I told him I'd walk away if he messed with me. Will he now have me on file as "his" so no other chrysler dealer can touch me? Ugh. Now I just want to pump more money into my 12yo Windstar to keep it running some more. I told you i hate car shopping and this is why.

I mean beest saw several of these models at the other dealership...... it's just this one is closer to me. And she said she could transfer between dealerships, yet he's all like "it's this one or nothing...."

*shudders and feels dirty*