The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #76
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Yep, and I also know for a fact that CELERY in specific makes someone taste better, as my girlfriend has informed me repeatedly.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #77
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

NothingButNet wrote a beautiful Haiku about celery that was lost in the crash...but, I digress.

SO. You can pole-vault? And you like celery?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #78
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

I high-jump. Poles are for cheaters.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #79
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonated_Brains
Just out of curiosity garnet, and you may hate me for this, but how many PETA members are white, female, and middle-class?
That's a legitimate question. I don't have demographics on our membership (I believe there's 800,000 active members) but just to guess, I would say there are more female members than male. Yes, there are a majority of white middle-class people, but we also have a number of members who are of Indian descent (not Native American). I'm sure Hindu beliefs and values have a lot to do with that.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #80
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
How many times do we have to tell you, that is *not* the one that Ginger Lynn used on her road tour.
The humiliation of that mistake is too much to bear.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #81
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Thank you for your opinion.

Hasn't everybody been saying that name-calling is part of the game here and it's all in fun? So I just "insulted" your friend Wolf, and you're pissed about it. Try saying that instead of accusing me of being "prone" to insulting everyone. Go back and read my posts and quote where exactly I insult anyone. I believe I was called a "Fucking Asshole" on my first day of posting here--how come you didn't complain about that? You can't have it both ways.

no i'm not pissed. i was actually trying to point out a few things to you that make your entrance a little smoother, fuckwit. (that was just good clean humor there - no animosity intended)

and my "prone to insulting" comment was based on my own experience. your vegetarian diet may have resulted in some memory loss here, because you seem to have forgotten that your first day here i am the first one that tangled with you when you pulled your head out of your ass (also good spirited fun) just long enough to blather on about the rightousness of renaming a mountain and freeway after one dead soldier simply because she was native american.

"fucking asshole" - don't remember that one, so i couldn't have compained about it. but stick around for awhile and i think you will see that no matter how spirited a discussion gets i try not to let things get personal. we are here for an exchange of ideas and hopefully some witty banter. if we wanted abuse and disrespect we would walk away from the keyboard and talk to the people surrounding us.

as far as my comment about "internet version of respect" - i don't mean to belittle the respect we show each other. i think those that are respectful of one another in this environment are to be commended. in real life we have to be PC and say things with a smile. here we can let loose with vitriolic attacks with no consequence - so those that treat other cellarites with respect are, to quote Keanu Reeves - "most excellent". and yes, i agree this is sort of a family.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #82
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Uhhh, you might want to go back and read this thread from the beginning. It was hijacked by YOU and 99 44/100. The only thing I ever mentioned in this thread was my dog--YOU GUYS are the ones that brought PETA into it. Go back and read it, and then you can apologize to me.
Hijack? HIJACK?! How can one hijack a thread called "PETA Recap/Summary" with a comment about PETA? (Of course, comments about grammar and word usage are never attempted hijacks.) FWIW, I missed the earlier shitfest* prior to the crash, and I don't have any preconceived notions about you or your posts. Regarding the whole "Animal Rights" debate, I found Brigliadore's comment on another thread to be concise, well written and thought-provoking. Please don't take it all so personally, or you'll spoil the fun.

*I'll give 10:1 odds that the person who called you a 'fucking asshole' was Sycamore. He does that. Get over it.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #83
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
She's a four hairs from "soggy tart" status.
Hahahaha. Lovely
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #84
Albamoss
alga

It's clear that sarcasm is difficult to convey over the internet. Even I know that, and my only contribution to the Cellar that survived the crash is a limerick about xoxoxoBruce. Perhaps this "internet" should be replaced by a massive network of letters, with small polaroids attached to indicate emotion. Sure, it would piss off the postal service, but they always love a challenge.
Albamoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #85
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
and my "prone to insulting" comment was based on my own experience. your vegetarian diet may have resulted in some memory loss here, because you seem to have forgotten that your first day here i am the first one that tangled with you when you pulled your head out of your ass (also good spirited fun) just long enough to blather on about the rightousness of renaming a mountain and freeway after one dead soldier simply because she was native american.
Easy there, chief. Don't bust a gut. Let's see, if I remember correctly, my VERY FIRST post was a reply to you about renaming Squaw Peak. I politely disagreed with your ethno-centric, borderline racist statements. You then proceeded to rant and rave about how Lori Pestewa sucked and was deserving of nothing because she didn't die in combat. Please, if you can recall that far back, tell what EXACT words I used that caused you so much anguish. Did I swear at you? NO. Did I call you stupid? NO. Did I call you fuckwit? NO. I disagreed with you, and you obviously are so closed-minded that you couldn't handle the fact that someone would dare do such a thing (of course, I mean no offense by that, just like you mean no offense by calling me fuckwit). Gosh, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings so bad--I wouldn't have ever responded to you in the first place if I knew you were such a WUSS (and of course, the word wuss is also being used in "good-spirited fun").

Quote:
but stick around for awhile and i think you will see that no matter how spirited a discussion gets i try not to let things get personal. we are here for an exchange of ideas and hopefully some witty banter. if we wanted abuse and disrespect we would walk away from the keyboard and talk to the people surrounding us....
Funny, when you guys insult, swear at, mock and generally abuse strangers, it's "witty banter." When ever I say anything, it's a personal, life-changing emotional scar. A bit of a double standard there, no?

Last edited by garnet; 08-10-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:42 PM   #86
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 44/100% pure
FWIW, I missed the earlier shitfest* prior to the crash, and I don't have any preconceived notions about you or your posts.
You didn't have preconceived notions about my posts? Really? You knew nothing about the posts before the crash, and yet you let loose with the following little diatribe:

Quote:
Um, forgive me for nit-picking, but by saying "my dog" aren't you perpetuating the human-dominated, slave/master hegmony that PETA is supposed to be overthrowing? I can't imagine anyone who actually draws a paycheck from this organization making a casual slip like that.
Perhaps, looking back on it, do you find a post like that to be a little shitty based on the fact that I'd never had any contact with you before?

Quote:
Regarding the whole "Animal Rights" debate, I found Brigliadore's comment on another thread to be concise, well written and thought-provoking.
Well, that's just swell. Good for you. I think it's lovely you found a happy little post that you liked.

Quote:
*I'll give 10:1 odds that the person who called you a 'fucking asshole' was Sycamore. He does that. Get over it.
You lose. It was Bruce. I guess there's so many people on this forum calling eachother "fucking assholes" that it's hard to keep track. Such a happy little "family." Oh, and don't worry, sweetie, I'm over it. It's not quite that easy to hurt my feelings.

Last edited by garnet; 08-10-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #87
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
I politely disagreed with your ethno-centric, borderline racist statements. You then proceeded to rant and rave about how Lori Pestewa sucked and was deserving of nothing because she didn't die in combat. Please, if you can recall that far back, tell what EXACT words I used that caused you so much anguish.

hmm, i like the selective memory and overactive imagination. because the posts were lost, i don't have the ability to quote them so it is safe for you to say that i said piestewa sucked and deserved nothing. you really should run for office you would excel in the world of BS. i never said she sucked. i pointed out that there were 4 AZ residents who died the same month in the war and the governor chose to have her bulldogs go after the commission to rename a mountain and a freeway after lori piestewa ( a native american woman) to the exclusion of Az's other war dead - not because of any action she took other than deploying with her unit, but simply because she was a native american woman. in the process the governor did not follow state guidelines or the wishes of the residents. this the governor has admitted to.
exactly how is the recitation of fact racist? thanks for playing the card though, i appreciate seeing your debating skills at their best.

Quote:
Gosh, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings so bad--I wouldn't have ever responded to you in the first place if I knew you were such a WUSS (and of course, the word wuss is also being used in "good-spirited fun").
thanks for the concern, but don't worry about my feelings. it isn't possible for someone i don't give two shits about to hurt my feelings over the internet.

Edit: damn garnet - you are one tightly wound individual. you really should relax and treat yourself to something special tonight... i think a nice filet would do you some good. i good piece of meat never hurt anyone.

Last edited by lookout123; 08-10-2004 at 07:56 PM. Reason: garnet had another little diatribe
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #88
garnet

Quote:
you really should run for office
Gosh, do ya think so? Maybe I'll start looking into it now since you've given me such a nice compliment.

Quote:
thanks for the concern, but don't worry about my feelings. it isn't possible for someone i don't give two shits about to hurt my feelings over the internet.
Ditto for me, baby! There's a first--we actually agree on something!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #89
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

May I suggest--? Peace be with everyone?

I tried to distract you all with sex, but, nooooooooo
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 PM   #90
Albamoss
alga

yeah, or we could just yell at each other.

i dunno, i thought the letters would've been kinda cool
Albamoss is offline   Reply With Quote