The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
freshnesschronic
Professor

Kindergarten Advice Proven True: Do What You Love

Tonite thanks to discussion with my girlfriend and my parents, I've learned that in this terrible, terrible, economy, you can't just take your first job offered.

You have to do something you love, something you want to do, something you graduated a 4 year Big Ten university studying...I've been impatient and so anxious to get hired, get to work, get paid and start the rest of my life...but taking a sales job in something that isn't what I studied, not what I care about and probably not liking it isn't a great choice.

I need to refocus, think clearly and expand the right resources to find a career that will do everything I want and more.

This summer I had an unpaid internship, didn't like my boss, didn't like what I was doing, and definitely not used to being uncompensated...fall rolls around and l I was very anxious and desperate to find a job and a paycheck. So much that my first FT job offer where I viewed more figures per week than I've ever seen more I jumped on it like a hooker jumps on a benjamin.

This economy is really really bad...but hustling and jumping on a FT job is such a big decision that is completely irrelevant is not the way to go. I love sports and studied sports management at the University of Illinois, it would be more than foolish to go try to sell ad space in a magazine publication. http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23615

I learned you gotta do what you will love, excel in and be happy about. Hopefully that finds me soon.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

It will find you soon. I found it when I was 37.

fresh, some advice. Many of us HAVE to work. If we sit around waiting for the job we love, we're not going to be pulling in too many paychecks. In this "terrible terrible economy" you take a job, try it out and (best advice my dad ever gave me, besides having me get a summer job at 13) ALWAYS KEEP LOOKING. You never know what will turn up.

Of course, I'm not saying dive into sales. We aren't all meant for all things. I found out I suck at sales immediately after college. Not only did I suck at it, going to work made me sick to my stomach, I hated it so much. So, it wasn't for me.

But, you have to make some money, don't you? Gone are the days of 30 years in to out. People change jobs these days, whether by choice or circumstance beyond their control.

Unless you have a big trust fund, of course. Then by all means, loll about waiting for the perfect job. And send me your address.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-24-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
freshnesschronic
Professor

Oh yes, the search is every day, ongoing, I dream of the next place to look. And I will have to take a part time job of course...School loans are greeting me in a matter of months...I will have a PT job or temp job or substitute teaching (didn't know I could but I can!) to give me cashflow....but taking a FT job in an industry I don't want to be involved in is not the right choice for me now.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Shawnee123

I agree. Sounds like you've thought it through. I really wish you luck!

As you said, in this day and age, one is lucky to find something they love. It's almost always still "work" but if it gives your life meaning and you feel your contribution is worthwhile (i.e. it's NOT just a paycheck) you can have a very happy existence indeed.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
I need to refocus, think clearly and expand the right resources to find a career that will do everything I want and more.
Stay away from Ad sales. I would suggest that in this tough economy you look for something int he neighborhood of what you want to do, err think you want to do. he brass ring at your age with zero experience.... You gotta "swab the deck" before you pilot the ship.

Hang in there.

I'll say this. I know several people who recently have gotten jobs better than the ones they had and they were all with companies NOT advertising for additional help. They did the research and took the initiative to reach out to the companies and it paid off for them.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Oh yes, the search is every day, ongoing, I dream of the next place to look. And I will have to take a part time job of course...School loans are greeting me in a matter of months...I will have a PT job or temp job or substitute teaching (didn't know I could but I can!) to give me cashflow....but taking a FT job in an industry I don't want to be involved in is not the right choice for me now.
Also, you don't want to end up like the Willy Loman of ad sales.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Best of luck to you fresh!
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Try DaBears or Cubs, they'll take anybody.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Selling Ad space on some unclear commission deal? Lots of potential for dodgy. Sounds like you're making a wise choice.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
There's a lot of good advice here. Much better than any advice you'll get from even the cleverest of kindergarteners.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

So, I should become a stripper...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

yup