The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Entertainment????

Here's this weeks (Mon through Friday inclusive) prime time assortment for free to air tv in Western Australia.
My big fat obnoxious fiance.
My restaurant rules. Twice
The resort.
Celebrities uncensored.
Extreme makeover.
What not to wear.
Renovation rescue.
Paradise hotel.
The hothouse. Four times
Newlyweds.
Queer eye for the straight guy.
Who wants to marry my dad.
The simple life.
Survivor allstars.

The sad thing is people here are lapping this shit up. I function well enough in society so I know i'm not afraid of reality. Why do I hate these shows so much when they're huge ratings winners?
Is it just Aus or are y'all suffering from a reality tv overdose
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think we have too much "reality" TV going on right now in the States, but the people want it...what can you do?

Ah, but I have the answer to that! Get digital cable or satellite.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Why do I hate these shows so much when they're huge ratings winners?

Maybe because you have a brain?

Drop by the US, sometime. We're suffering from some of the worst television programming in history at the moment. My answer has been to flip to cable or just shut it off.

sycamore's right -- God bless digital cable!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I think there are a ton of good shows on, it's just that they are buried behind the crappy reality shows. The problem is that people don't have time to find them let alone watch them, which is why TiVo was created(truly the greatest entertainment creation since Color TV).
Old 02-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Your horrible TV is OUR horrible TV!!! Or are some of those programs Aussie versions of our rehashed crap?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
I think there are a ton of good shows on, it's just that they are buried behind the crappy reality shows. The problem is that people don't have time to find them let alone watch them, which is why TiVo was created(truly the greatest entertainment creation since Color TV).
Television in Color ? What will those slicksters think of next?.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
mrnoodle
bent

My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance. Now there's a great way to start a lifelong relationship based on mutual trust and respect.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
juju
no one of consequence

I like Survivor. The people are interesting, as is the way they interact.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
novice

Juju- Of them all I can tolerate survivor. It has done as it's name suggests. It's a slick production.
According to the shorts,'My big fat obnoxious fiance' involves a honey convincing her friends and family she's in love with an utter slob. Pull it off win bucks. How can it miss!
Wolf-The hothouse, Renovation rescue, and My restaurant rules are all local crap but aside from a couple of British shows the rest are from your neck of the woods. I didn't even even mention ' Lifestyle/holidaying/gardening style reality shows. They practically double the earlier list.
I resent the fact many of these shows encourage, then celebrate, the seedier side of interaction. Lie, cheat and backstab on the world stage to win a million bucks.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

These shows fill a gap in the modern human experience.
How else are you going to get into the spirit of human interaction when you don't talk to your neighbors?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
Razorfish
Superhero

Some reality shows can be mildely entertaining. The Simple Life was funny from time to time (the few episodes I watched). Watching two over-privileged girls have a difficult time turns out to be pretty funny.

Fox Televisons latest production "The Littlest Groom" is just plain weird.

Other than that I really do not understand why reality shows are so popular. If you put a bunch of strangers in a closed environment with many stressors of course their going act pretty shocking. People seem to be highly interested in watching other people fight, as if they don't do enough of that in real life.

Some shows seem to bring forward some pretty bad stereotypes.
Example: MTV's production Rich Girls. I watched one episode of this piece of crap and it successfully confirmed every stereotype I have ever had about kids from well-to-do famlies. Because everyone knows there is nothing like watching a seveteen year old girl go on a $3000 shopping spree every other day.

Like said before: Thank God for digital cable. At least there's 400 other channels with slightly less crappy programming.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
novice

I do talk to my neighbours. Mostly we just chat as we bump into each other. Occasionally it's out of necessity in order to resolve an issue. The point being we're both seeking a peaceful, mutually acceptable resolution. The very nature of 'reality' shows preclude a happy ending.

I didn't buy into my street with the intent of fucking over all the other residents.
Most of these shows are during prime time so kids are watching toe to toe conflict and seeing this as acceptable and profitable.

There are plenty of gaps in my modern human experience but I choose not to fill them for the sake of harmony, fear of 'general population, good taste etc.

Anyways, Torrere, you're joking, right?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Re: Entertainment????

Quote:
Originally posted by novice

The sad thing is people here are lapping this shit up. I function well enough in society so I know i'm not afraid of reality. Why do I hate these shows so much when they're huge ratings winners?
Is it just Aus or are y'all suffering from a reality tv overdose
Because you've seen the Cellar....and you'll never be the same.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 PM   #14
novice

I was just gunna post some glib shit but the 'reality' is since The Cellar went on the tv went off.
Other rooms too of course but this one has pride of place on the mantlepiece of the pool room that is my 'favourites' list.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:00 AM   #15
MomentsAre
Excellent buyer!!! Fast payment!!!! A++++++++

What I don't like about these shows is that it takes the "victim mentality" to the extreme. It's like "Hey everyone! Lets see who can be the most dramatic!!!!"
MomentsAre is offline   Reply With Quote