The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
anonymous
Operations Operative

No Job=No Insurance=No Medications

Can someone help me with what to do?

I lost my health insurance when I lost my job. I have been on one medication for years. It has a half-life of one day and even initial withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. Suddenly quitting can result in a number of things: like suicide or death w/o suicide.

I just found out that med alone will be 400/mo.

I could get a job or move to Canada but my mom has inoperable pancreatic cancer and my family has been counting on me to help her. I am taking her to appts and doing the work at the house. It has been pretty much full-time.

Plus I am barely keeping it together and the only reason I can is because she and my dad need me.

Does anyone understand what I can do through the affordable care act?

I don't think God or countryor maybe even you care if I die but my family does.

Please: advice. I'm scared and feel alone.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
anonymous
Operations Operative

Also I am not talking about the money. The cost of this generic medication is nothing short of ridiculous and I want to know how to make it affordable. I won't throw that kind of money at big pharm. They need to suck it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
anonymous
Operations Operative

And I'm not taking into consideration the other 3 meds I may have to do withouut.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
glatt

Thankfully I don't need any medications, so I'm not really the one to answer this, but a few years ago I got a card from CVS not affiliated through work or insurance and it's supposed to give you a savings on your medication.

I just googled it, and this free card popped up. Have you at least tried one of these discount medication cards? It's not going to be a miracle, but it might knock 30% off.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You qualify:

https://www.healthcare.gov/do-i-qualify-for-medicaid

That right there is the right answer, I'm pretty sure.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

How long ago did you lose your job? If you were taking care of your mom around those work hours before, could you find another job with similar hours? If you only recently lost it, you may qualify for COBRA, where you can pay your own premium to keep the same plan you were on through your employer.

If you are under 26, you may be able to get on your parents' plan.

I do not know the details of how to get it done, but I do know families who are on independent plans through the Affordable Care Act. I'd start googling around, there are lots of charity resources that exist to help you navigate the paperwork.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
anonymous
Operations Operative

I will look around.

I lost my job mid-may. Shortly after was mom's diagnosis.

I am single, nearing 50 yo and have no dependents. I don't think my demographic is considered to need any help.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Don't make ANY assumptions about how the system works or doesn't work. Your preconceptions may be incorrect or things may have changed.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
anonymous
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Don't make ANY assumptions about how the system works or doesn't work. Your preconceptions may be incorrect or things may have changed.

Thanks. I did go to that site but I need to get my computer booted up to do more research. When I go home later, I will.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No advice from me I'm afraid. But I wish you well, and hope you can find help.

*hugs* Thinking of you m'dear.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Moving to Canada won't help, as prescriptions are NOT covered there. Medicaid offers far more coverage than the Canadian system. I think that's your best bet. There are also hardship programs through the pharm companies to help out in some situations.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

anonymous - do not go without your meds. withdrawal from benzo's can be deadly. I know because my meds come through the mail and several times they are late. anyway I digress, my son works for Medicaid and makes the decision on whether or not people qualify. he says you should not have a problem getting on Medicaid based upon the info you have given.

there is another option. I am making extra money this summer with the national guard. if you need money to see a doctor or get meds, send me a pm. i'd gladly help you out with some funds. we are all family in the cellar
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

If I hadn't had to spend most of what I had left from dads money on carrots wonky hips I could have helped out :-(
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Medicaid. Apply now. See your local department of social services
Old 07-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
anonymous
Operations Operative

Thanks everyone!

I have applied for medicaid. I think that's what I did. Technology passed me by somewhere along the way.

The offers of help with money are very kind, but there is no way I want to do that. I won't beg borrow or steal so some CEO can keep his 5th home, the one in Tuscany. Truth be told, I could borrow the money but I refuse to. The cost is stupid, and the drug companies should be embarrassed. All the meds are now generic, so I don't care about the cost of research etc. I don't think profit (or lack thereof) is a huge problem for them. A total of 700/month? Yeah, no.

So I hope this works out. Of course I will be going back to work eventually, but I need this help while unemployed and caring for my mom. I won't serve anyone well, me included, by getting even sicker. Eventually, I would like to talk to my doctor about cutting back slowly on my meds and eventually doing without...or at least just getting back to the basic one (which is the most expensive one and the one I talked about with the horrible withdrawal.)

Thanks again. I don't like to ask for help but we all need a bit of it from time to time. Your reassurances have helped me take a step back and a deep breath, and now I can go forward again.