The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Sure. So I get a liver screening every year.
As did she.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry about the hijacking Cloud. Obviously, I have a problem with over-medication just as Pie has with under-medication. We're both working off of personal experience hers good mine bad. I apologize if I came off as snippy Pie.

Good luck with your daughter.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Cloud

That's okay. I appreciate the opportunity to whine and vent.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Sorry about the hijacking Cloud. Obviously, I have a problem with over-medication just as Pie has with under-medication. We're both working off of personal experience hers good mine bad. I apologize if I came off as snippy Pie.
My best friend's father had high blood pressure at 50, mostly from a heavy meat/fat diet and crappy eating habits. So his doctor put him on drugs and he changed his eating habits significantly. Every time he'd go back to the doctor they'd check his blood pressure and say it's fine, keep taking your meds. At 60 he was on kidney dialysis.

Not once in those ten years did the doctor ever try reducing the meds to see if less would be sufficient. Nor did he ask about lifestyle changes that might come into play.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #20
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

cloud

just wondering .....how is the statin suppose to help with the electrical current problem?

IF she isn't going to take them I found this article

http://www.all-about-lowering-choles...naturally.html

mayo clinic on w.p
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wol...ents-and-drugs

If she is afraid maybe she could see a naturopath.

Last edited by skysidhe; 08-20-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: to add links I was reading
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #21
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
My best friend's father had high blood pressure at 50, mostly from a heavy meat/fat diet and crappy eating habits. So his doctor put him on drugs and he changed his eating habits significantly. Every time he'd go back to the doctor they'd check his blood pressure and say it's fine, keep taking your meds. At 60 he was on kidney dialysis.

Not once in those ten years did the doctor ever try reducing the meds to see if less would be sufficient. Nor did he ask about lifestyle changes that might come into play.
High blood pressure itself causes kidney failure.
Beta blockers have no such side effects.

correlation != causation
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
Cloud

skyshide--She's taking it now, but I don't know what kind of medication yet. I asked her last night, and she said, "It starts with an m . . . "

The cardiologist did say that she shouldn't have any more children. Not that she was planning to, but by implication that means she wouldn't survive another pregancy. Which is very scary.

Now, I'm just hoping she'll survive this one. She's got placenta previa going on now, too.

Yeah, I'm freaking out a little. She's off to Las Vegas to see Depeche Mode. I pulled her friend off to the side, and said, you'd better take GREAT care of her, you hear? Make her keep hydrated, make her wear tennis shoes . . .
Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
joelnwil
Major Inhabitant

I think that you need to re-evaluate your meds regularly. For example, around 1960 I was diagnosed with a thyroid deficiency. So I took thyroid regularly for about 10 years. Eventually, I decided to see what would happen if I got off the thyroid. So I reduced and eventually ended the dosage. I was just fine, and that was a long time ago.

Since then, I have had a doctor tell me that it is impossible for me to have "healed" so as not to need thyroid. The original diagnosis was wrong. Well, I know what the test results were, and the symptoms (sleeping 12-15 hours/day, among other things), so I believe that the impossible happened.

Of course, if the result of getting off the meds could have been death, I would probably not have tried it.
joelnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
High blood pressure itself causes kidney failure.
Beta blockers have no such side effects.

correlation != causation
But he didn't have high blood pressure on the medication and might have not had it with less medication or from the lifestyle changes... they never bothered to check. Oh, and you're assuming Beta blockers.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #25
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
skyshide--She's taking it now, but I don't know what kind of medication yet. I asked her last night, and she said, "It starts with an m . . . "

The cardiologist did say that she shouldn't have any more children. Not that she was planning to, but by implication that means she wouldn't survive another pregancy. Which is very scary.

Now, I'm just hoping she'll survive this one. She's got placenta previa going on now, too.

Yeah, I'm freaking out a little. She's off to Las Vegas to see Depeche Mode. I pulled her friend off to the side, and said, you'd better take GREAT care of her, you hear? Make her keep hydrated, make her wear tennis shoes . . .
Most likely she is on an Anti-arrhythmic medication (amiodarone). She would not be on a Beta Blocker or a Anti-hypertensive. After her pregnancy she might be a canidate for Radiofrequency catheter ablation, which I have been involved in a few times which is 100% curative. Pregnancy may predispose women to the development of tachydysrhythmias where previously they were not at as much risk during the non-pregnant state. Any events of rapid heart rate, pounding in chest, faintness, LOC, chest pain, she should seek immediate medical attention. The problem can be if she does develop a prolonged tachydysrhythmia that it could put the fetus at risk. She needs to really be in tune with her body, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest. I don't think I would take the docs word about never getting prego again, consult a high risk OB doc for the best advice.

Oh, and not taking the meds puts her fetus at risk as well as her life, she better start taking the med asap.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
TheMercenary

WPW

Normal pathways of electrical conduction in yellow, WPW in white:

WPW explained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff-P...White_syndrome
Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #27
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But he didn't have high blood pressure on the medication and might have not had it with less medication or from the lifestyle changes... they never bothered to check. Oh, and you're assuming Beta blockers.
So, what drug was he on? Your assumption that the drugs lead to the ESRD is also unwarranted. Merc, can you comment on the link between long-term low-level hypertension and kidney failure?
A quick web search leads to this statement on WebMD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMD
How Is Kidney Disease Treated?

For patients who have high blood pressure and kidney disease, the most important treatment is to control your blood pressure. ACE inhibitor and angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) drugs lower blood pressure and protect the kidneys from further damage.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #28
Cloud

Thank you, Merc. She's taking the medicine now, and she's a sensible girl, so we shall see.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
TheMercenary

My understanding is that there is no causation of ESRD due to the BP medications. Although there does not seem to be a ton of info about it. Remember that drug companies will always warn about ESRD or kidney damage with certain meds that are metabolized or excreted via the renal system, I don't think I have seen a drug insert that did not have something about it.

There is one study after a quick search here:
http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...act/13/12/3084

There are many causes of ESRD, infection, diabetes, etc, high blood pressure is just one of them. Plenty of people get it who don't have high bp but most all people with it also have High bp. The kidneys play an important role in the every day function of our BP.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #30
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Thank you, Merc. She's taking the medicine now, and she's a sensible girl, so we shall see.
No problem, glad to hear it, check PM.