The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Rhianne
Nearly done.

It was more work than I was prepared to put in! (see above)
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Geez that was like no work at all debunking the lastest stupid conspiracy theory.
No conspiracy theory intended.

I only pointed out that many states have either a waiting time between death and burial and that some require that deaths in a home include a post mortem autopsy. Also there usually needs to be a doctor or other medical person to document the cause of death before a funeral home will accept a body. Maybe North Carolina does not do this. I've had to do handle burials for several of my own family members so in my state and where my parents live I base what I say on experience.

And my original post that started this thread was only meant as a bit of humor and verbal irony which seems pretty common here. Sorry if it offended you or caused confusion.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
'sack lunch'? Never heard that term before!
Surprisingly 'brown baggin' it' is not a sexual innuendo ( to my knowledge) but refers to taking you lunch to school, work etc in a brown paper bag (also sack lunch), made especially for the purpose, making them completely disposable.

Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ahh.

So, not exactly the same meaning as 'packed lunch' which might be in a bag or a box or other container.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
Seriously, this is what my wife and I said. In most states if a person dies at home and is not in Hospice care they have to do an autopsy to ensure the death was a natural one. And in Texas even if someone is in Hospice care and dies at home there is a rule that the burial must be no sooner then 24 hours from the death.

CNN noted that no cause of death had been released either by the EMS team that went to the home or by the mortuary that handled the burial. I looked up embalming and it can be done in 2-3 hours so either they were very prepared to do it or it was what is called a "green burial" which some states allow and some don't.
My understanding is that In most states there is no autopsy following a hospice death. The death is expected. Also, part of a hospice contract is that you will not call EMS for anything ... including the passing. You, or rather, the hospice nurse that pronounces the death calls the funeral home to come and get the body. That's the way it works in Pennsylvania, anyway. I've done this twice in recent years.

Autopsies happen automatically in cases of unexpected death at home, or within 24 hours of a hospital admission.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #21
chrisinhouston
Professor

So, perhaps Andy was in home hospice care, which would make sense. I think he and his family just wanted a low publicity funeral and if the family was all present at the time of death it may have just been easier to do it quickly. Funerals and memorials are for the living, they bring closure. INMO by the time of the funeral the deceased have long since vacated the real estate that they lived in.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Maybe he was secretly Jewish?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
DanaC

Maybe he was a Jewslim?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Maybe he was secretly Jewish?
I refer you to my earlier post (#3). Please substitute the word 'halal' with 'kosher'.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
So, not exactly the same meaning as 'packed lunch' which might be in a bag or a box or other container.
I thought it was from the term "bindle" where a hobo would carry his belongings in a sack on a stick. Before there were paper bags, people carried their lunch in a sack or pack.

I thought anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Kind of. There's some overlap depending on the context. If I say, "I brought a sack lunch," chances are good I do mean that it is in one of those ubiquitous brown paper bags. If it's in a lunchbox, I would just say, "I brought my lunch."

However, if I am attending a conference, for example, the flyer may say "Lunch will be provided," which likely means a serve-yourself low-cost catered spread, anything from salads and soups, to barbecue, to pizza. But if it says "A sack lunch will be provided," it means premade sandwiches packaged up in bundles with a cookie and a bag of chips (crisps,) or somesuch. You might get to choose between the ham sandwich bundle or the turkey sandwich bundle, but there won't be a lot of variety. Notably, in this case the sack lunch will almost certainly not be in a brown paper bag, but rather a plastic or styrofoam container of some sort. Maybe even a white paper bag. The sandwiches were still put together by a professional company, and professional companies don't use brown paper bags, because that's what kids take to school.

Except they don't, really. Kids take fun colorful lunchboxes. By the time they are too cool for awesome lunchboxes, and might in theory want it in a nondescript paper bag instead, they are just buying their lunch from Taco Bell or whoever else has contracted to sell fast food on campus.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #27
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Gold star thread drift, there!

If Andy Griffiths was secretly Muslim, maybe he was also secretly Barack Obama!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Kind of. There's some overlap depending on the context. If I say, "I brought a sack lunch," chances are good I do mean that it is in one of those ubiquitous brown paper bags. If it's in a lunchbox, I would just say, "I brought my lunch."

However, if I am attending a conference, for example, the flyer may say "Lunch will be provided," which likely means a serve-yourself low-cost catered spread, anything from salads and soups, to barbecue, to pizza. But if it says "A sack lunch will be provided," it means premade sandwiches packaged up in bundles with a cookie and a bag of chips (crisps,) or somesuch. You might get to choose between the ham sandwich bundle or the turkey sandwich bundle, but there won't be a lot of variety. Notably, in this case the sack lunch will almost certainly not be in a brown paper bag, but rather a plastic or styrofoam container of some sort. Maybe even a white paper bag. The sandwiches were still put together by a professional company, and professional companies don't use brown paper bags, because that's what kids take to school.

Except they don't, really. Kids take fun colorful lunchboxes. By the time they are too cool for awesome lunchboxes, and might in theory want it in a nondescript paper bag instead, they are just buying their lunch from Taco Bell or whoever else has contracted to sell fast food on campus.
I use to be so jealous of those kids with the nice plastic lunch boxes with a matching thermos. I had this old metal one with Rainbow Brite on it or some such.

Places I have worked we actually did get brown sack lunches for "brown bag meetings." I think it just depends on the caterer.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
DanaC

Excellent explanation! Thankyou.

I fucking love the cellar. It's an education.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If Andy was secretly a Muslim, or Jew, so what? The only thing that matters is he apparently wasn't a dick. Now back to the regularly scheduled humor and drift.