The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 05-29-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There are a few more days in May but I figured I would post this while it's fresh in my mind.

Cellar total hits

January 19590
February 50471
March 62756
April 201600
May 334417 so far

Those hits just keep a'comin'. Of course the term "hits" doesn't mean anything much on its own - except that it does measure activity, roughly, so that's fine.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer, because there's a traditional dip of activity by about a third during every summer the Cellar has existed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

dip?

Strange, everything I'm on usually has increased activity during the summer. Ah well, I'm on mostly games, so one would assume that kids my age who play these games simply take the free time they gain when school lets out to keep playing.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 12:22 AM   #3
jaguar
whig

Just a *little* jump between march and april.
What hardware/connection does cellar run on.
Old 05-31-2001, 12:52 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's a P3-500 on a T1.

Old 05-31-2001, 02:43 AM   #5
jaguar
whig

T1, shit!
How much does that cost you in the US of A?
And considering there no advertising or other crap on here, how do you pay for that?
Old 05-31-2001, 10:19 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The old-fashioned American way. I started a business, got the T1 on a five-year contract, then 14 months into that contract my business failed. I moved the T1 back to my house and have just enough hosting and co-location work to pay for it.

It's about $1500/month for the line and the bandwidth. I may cut it back to half a T1 if the client work ever drops off, but that still gives the Cellar a lot of head room. In fact I believe that the Cellar already takes more bandwidth than all my other sites combined... except for maybe achenet.org.

And that's how I'm the only person in my area to have a T1 to my house. It's a lot of fun, but not really worth the hassle...

If anyone needs co-location, hosting, or frankly anything else net-related, I'm yer guy.
Old 05-31-2001, 10:54 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'll be posting more, seeing as I'll be unemployed at the end of next week...and we'll probably be so until the 1st of July. I'm also thinking that my new sig line is the real reason for all the hits. ;-)

Now, the hosting thing...hmmm...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:11 PM   #8
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the summer, because there's a traditional dip of activity by about a third during every summer the Cellar has existed.
[/b]
True enough, but now that we have at least one Aussie on board, we might not see quite the drop, since it's late fall in Australia right now.

Any chance we could get more Aussies here?
Z
adamzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 09:34 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

*laughz
I'm trying to convince a couple of my friends to join up so yea...stay tuned =)
Old 06-02-2001, 07:37 PM   #10
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

I dropped out late April and May to get my plants in the ground -- put the last squash and melons in today.

*SO* sorry to hear about your business failing, Tony! But I'll trade fresh tomatoes (5 vareties this year, although I suspect the one from Mallorca won't be so good fresh -- it's a striped (!!) drying tomato) to even *see* your T1 line in action, let alone access the Net on it! ;-D

GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:09 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'd be getting the far better of that deal, D! There isn't much to see; it's a wire, leading to a box with a few LEDs. The speedy downloading will look similar in performance to cable modems. The big difference is invisible: I can be a reliable server on the net.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:39 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

Similar D/L speeds????
you serious?
Whats your average cable download speed in the US?
Old 06-04-2001, 05:03 AM   #13
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

Quote:
The speedy downloading will look similar in performance to cable modems.
I need better friends -- none of my ag collegues have even a cable modem and when one goes rose hunting on the Web (always looking for new species roses to add to the garden!) it can take f-o-r-e-v-e-r for all the pictures to download

The big difference is invisible: I can be a reliable server on the net.
[/quote]

Heh, heh, heh -- we may end up talking after all. Just how much *do* you like tomatoes, Tony? ;-D
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 10:42 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Jag: cable and DSL can promise higher download speeds than T1 under the right circumstances. One problem is that the "right circumstances" are unpredictable. All the DSL providers seem to suck horribly and your speed depends largely on how close you are to the connecting central office. It's pretty arbitrary. People seem to like their cable providers but, if the service becomes popular it's doomed, because your download speed can be ruined by someone else in your neighborhood downloading at the same time.

Din: The biggest problem is that I am alone in my household in an appreciation of real, honest tomatoes. So my capacity for being bribed with them is limited to the number I can actually eat. I'm sure we can strike a deal though!

Old 06-05-2001, 09:49 AM   #15
russotto
Professor

Quote:
It's pretty arbitrary. People seem to like their cable providers but, if the service becomes popular it's doomed, because your download speed can be ruined by someone else in your neighborhood downloading at the same time.

As I understand it, DOCSIS cable modems are throttled in such a way that others can't take all the bandwidth -- even if everyone is downloading at once, you still get reasonable performance, though not nearly as good as if you're alone on the line. In theory anyway, bets on whether Comcast sets this up properly not accepted!

I'm getting about 31 kilobytes/sec (symmetric) on my current DSL line. This is pretty good for being about 15000 feet from the CO. My former Northpoint DSL line topped out at 17 kilobytes/sec. Static IP, reliability is good (though DNS is screwed up... not a DSL issue), but financial stability of the provider (Rhythms) is not the best.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote