The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You said you "keep" asking for references, wouldn't you just use the same three over and over? And if they said yes the first time, I would assume that lasts for a 3-6 month window at least, not just for the one job application it was for. You have enough steps to deal with, don't add imaginary social obligations.

You want to know the truth, I've never asked for references. I just put the person's name down and let them get a call out of the blue, on the rare occasion that the employer even follows up on them. It's not like I'm asking them to write me a letter of recommendation--if I were to ask them if I could list them as a reference, just that conversation would take up as much of their time as the surprise phone call itself. I've been put as a reference for tons of people myself, and only two have ever called. (Well, also another two for the FBI, but those were for security clearance, not a job application. And besides that, one of the FBI friends hadn't warned me I was being listed as a reference for him either.)

I'm sure now is when everyone tells me it's very rude not to ask. A pox on all your houses. I'll not abet inefficiency.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't require being asked m'self, but it is nice to know that there's a chance some anonymous call is going to be a possible employer, rather than the usual spam and CVS reminder calls.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Good point, especially during campaign season. I only pick up calls that I know.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
Clodfobble

I am emotionally incapable of not answering the phone if I hear it ring, unless I specifically know who it is and want to avoid them. The Caller ID could say the number was 000-000-0000 and I would still answer. Like, what if one of my friends is having phone trouble, and that's why the number isn't displaying? It could happen.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #20
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Yeah, its not easy, but I really dislike the disappoint I feel when its a telemarketing call or whatnot.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #21
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I hate answering the phone. I only do if it's someone I know. I HATE telephones. Hate them.

As to pre-asking references, yes, there are those who are very much sticklers for the formal ask. My ex-boss would not reply to an email reference request from the CAREER CENTER, down the road from the college where I used to work (SHE WORKS) because I didn't call her first and tell her it was real and true. Then she answered it. I felt like an ass.

As to them calling references, for the types of positions I apply they sure do call! I always thought references were kind of stupid: like I'm going to give you the guy from second grade whose puppy I accidentally killed when I ran over it with the car I'd hotwired, then mounted its head on a stick as if it hadn't been an accident, just to save face. That guy is not going on my list. But for county and higher ed jobs and the like the references are all part of the dance. Sooo stupid, but they think they can know about your very soul based on who you give as references and subtle comments a reference might say ("she said she was an 'exceptional worker' not that her work was 'exceptional' Hmmmmmm...") Dumb as hell but a big part of my anxiety when applying for jobs. And of course I exaggerate (except the puppy story really happened. No, it didn't) but it ain't no small thing.

It's against corporate law or something for anyone at my night job to do anything but give them a corporate number where they will say that I either work for them or I don't. I don't want to ask anyone here at the day job because I honestly think it would put me in a bad position like "what do you MEAN you're looking for another job how dare you" kind of thing. Not with everyone, but there isn't anyone I can trust or know enough to broach the subject. The job at the second college, well you know that was the nightmare of my working life...the one reference I feel bad about asking for a ref. yet again is my old colleague from there and the only one I have kept in any kind of touch with.

Oh, and forgot also to thank UT for the song lyrics/link. Very nice!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #22
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Yeah, its not easy, but I really dislike the disappoint I feel when its a telemarketing call or whatnot.
Oh, see, half the time I very much enjoy telemarketer calls, because I give the phone to my kids. "Honey, I need you to explain your school's tornado drill procedure to this guy. He's really interested!" They get that it's a joke, and they love torturing them. Our goal is to get them to hang up first, because they're really not supposed to. You'd actually be surprised how many are super sweet and have real, extended conversations with them. It's a shitty job, and they're grateful for the break.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #23
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Telemarketers being tortured

Telemarketers being keelhauled

Enjoy!

Closed Captioning, where available, adds to the hilarity.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #24
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

If they are like the the Trump one I'm done. I was getting aggravated for the caller, lol.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

IM ... oh stop. You know you are teh awesome. I've been a reference for dozens of people as well. I got a call ... maybe two over the years. No worries. My guess is IF they call as you say, they are doing it more to justify that they made the call than to actually find out anything. Heck who gives their enemies as a reference? Everyone gives someone who will answer the questions the right way. Heck, write me a story and put me on there as a reference. I'll tell them everything you want them to hear.

As for Clod ... I'm so with you, I *HAVE* to answer the phone when it rings. I am, according to everyone who knows me, incapable of letting it ring.
Its even worse now as the calls from work are forwarded to me and I get all kinds of stupid crap at all hours of the day.