The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Job Applications

In the past if a person put in a job application for a state position, it would take months to get an interview. In the last year it has taken weeks.

I need to start looking for the positions my certification qualifies me for, but I won't have that paper until the end of spring term. Should I apply for a job prior to being qualified for it?

I am apprehensive about finding work. I don't want to wait until D day to hand them in. I am asking myself if I should I hand in applications in advance. I am waffling on thinking 6 months is too far in advance. When I type it out it seems obvious it is.

I applied for a couple of positions a couple of terms ago. I was screened out of one but the other one I got an interview. I shouldn't be so naive to think people will just sit on my application while I finish up my degree.

Maybe I should wait until my last term. Spring term?

It wouldn't be fair of me to take someones spot at an interview if I am not available right now. I am not feeling fair. I want to wrest victory out of someone else s hands if I could.

How far in advance of your available date would you hand in applications?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hi sky--

Your application process should be an ongoing one. Ideally, even after you are employed. You have a set of skills now. That is part of what an employer will be looking at. They will also be looking at your potential (frankly, from the employer's point of view, it's all potential, since you've demonstrated nothing *to them*). Right now, you have all your work and education, and a BIG potential is your imminent certification. the very day your get that certification, you won't be magically shinier, but you can tick the box "certified?". Some employers value that tick mark more than others. But you can't know which ones those are without actually interviewing with them.

So, I say, apply now. The worst that could happen is that you don't get the job. The best that could happen is that you get the job. If you don't apply, it's the same downside, and none of the upside.

Additionally, applying for jobs is like fishing, or exercise, you have to do a lot of it to get a tangible result. The sooner you start, the better. At the least, you get better practice/experience with their system. And there may be some benefit to being in their system sooner rather than later.

You're right on track to plan to start the hiring process before you get your certification. How much before is a judgment call, but I don't think you're too late and I don't think you're too early. Go for it.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
skysidhe

Hi bigv v and hope your Christmas was grand

....and Thanks.

If my application slips through the screening process, then more power to me eh? I have some experience, just not the paper.In this economic climate, having the certification is one qualification listed and /or a combination of experience and classes.

I might not beat out a person with holding a degree now, but I can sharpen my teeth so to speak.

I should also add, when the time comes, if I am not employed in something I want, I plan to take anything to make a buck, even if it means substitute work, retail or cleaning retirement homes.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I don't know about your state but in this one when you apply for a position that you soon will be certified for, they ask you that up front and if all else is ok with your app, you are provisionally approved to move forward in the hiring process. They may have a time restraint like, "Will you complete your coursework by XX/XX/XXXX date?"

Just go for it.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Whether it is for the better or worse, the application process for (OR) State employment is pretty cut and dried.
It's first a matter of "points"

First, as a former State employee, you may get a few brownie points
if the position you're applying for is similar to your previous job(s),
or you are a Vet or....

Next, the Position Announcement will almost always show the Closing Date or Date Available.
So there's no point in applying if you are not "qualified" by that date.
Of course, go for it if the position is "Open until Filled", or such.

Your application will be screened by a Dept of Employment employee
who is only interested in completing a check list, matching or scoring
your Application against each item in the Position Announcement
... cut-and-dried, little or no sympathy or expectations about your future.

The Department manager who has authority to hire will receive a
list of only the top 3 applicants, and must choose from that list
...unless the Manager can prove to Dept of Employment
that one or more are not qualified for some reason or other.

So if your application scores #5 or lower, it's unlikely you will even be interviewed.
Of course, if you have an connection somehow with the hiring Manager,
it may be a motivation to reach further down the list.
But even then, it's an extra effort (bureaucratic CYA) for the Manger.
Most Managers do not want to get that involved, mainly because the State and Feds
have so many "fair employment" laws they must follow.

It's a stilted procedure to work with, but it is ultimately fair to everyone.
My main advice is to prepare your Application precisely and exactly as is stated in the Position Announcement.
Try to use the same words as in the PA in describing your qualifications and experience,
and pay close attention to anything that even sounds like it's "required" or "preferred"

What is it they say in athletics ?... "Become the Ball"
so "Become the Screener"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
skysidhe

@ Foot. Yes, I had one interview like that. It was with the department of Education, The same department I had previously worked for, so I think that was the only reason I had gotten an interview. The government closed the state school so I think it was mandatory they give me an interview I qualify for. They asked about classes. I said such and such a date, but really did they want someone whose attention was else where.

In hindsight,I suppose I should make the time restraint a short one rather than long
but I probably won't.

@ Lamp. I am a former state employee too. I am used to passing many an application exam and waiting for months and sometimes forever for an interview. Lately, maybe because of the budget, the interviews always come quickly.

I think I will apply, then when I get that interview I will tell them, I am still taking classes and will not have the certification until June. If there is an opening at that time, I would appreciate an other opportunity for an interview and to keep my application on file.

I am obligated to finish the classes.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Most prospective employers will tell you how long your application will remain on file with them. Take that time period and work backwards from your degree completion date to determine your initial application date. This will place you in consideration if no fully qualified candidates apply, if a selection doesn't work out in a filled position (especially if this should occur close to your graduation date), and it establishes an enduring interest in the employer. Your graduation date then becomes your resume update/application resubmission time, concurrent with your new credentials, for all of the places that you've applied to (you'd have to update all of your applications at this time anyway) with no lapse in your candidacy.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
skysidhe

Thank you sexobon. This is extremely helpful information.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Slightly off topic... a friend recently lost his job when his employer closed. When he applied for unemployment he was informed he had been chosen by NJ to participate in a pilot program of resume writing, which consisted of four, three hour classes. They were told to omit anything that could be used to deduce their age. No schooling dates, and If they have 20 years experience, put down 10. This seems to me, completely alien to the reason for a resume.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
anonymous
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If they have 20 years experience, put down 10. This seems to me, completely alien to the reason for a resume.
Misrepresentations on a resume are a good way to lose his next job also.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Evidently, they don't feel understating experience is misrepresentation. I think if they do that, they might as well shitcan resumes and just have a piece of paper that has your name/address/phone number, and says I want the job.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
skysidhe

Aside from the application which must include dates, I was also told, as far as the resume, to be as less conspicuous as possible. Not to go back for 20 years in history because it dates you. I was also told not to give experience that isn't relevant. I balk at that one. I have lots of great irrelevant experience.

I wasn't told when to put in applications prior to graduating.

anonymous, I don't think the purpose is to misrepresent, because during an interview your age and times of employment will come out. I think when someone applies for a job that has high competition for it, a person doesn't want their resume easily pulled because they are old guy/woman.

You want your resume, at a glance, to look not SO much different than the graduating twenty somethings.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right, I think their goal was to not have the company find anything that would eliminate you, during the 4 seconds they look at your resume.

I thought the resume was to allow the company to only bring in the most qualified for interviews. I guess I'm behind the times, or that would only apply to highly skilled positions.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Along those lines, I was told not to put my marital staus on my CV.
That's dated now anyway, but at the time was a regular addition.

Reason not to put mine? I was divorced. Apparently this was a sign of previous failure, so should be avoided at all costs.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Dept of unemployment/recruiter: We've got to fit you into their box as closely as possible.

HR Dept: Just throw away all the resumes that don't fit exactly into our box.

Hiring manager: It appears you fit nicely into our box. Welcome.

VP of Research and Development: Our products have zero innovation and everybody just plays it safe around here! Goddammit, why can't anybody at this company think outside the box?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote