The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Losing my religion

The first week of Great Lent has just finished. Not Roman Catholic Lent, that started on Wednesday, but Orthodox Great Lent. There are four preceding weeks, each with its own significance and hymns that are sung at no other time of year, and then Forgiveness Sunday, and Clean Monday. The first week is the most strict, the most devoted. Each succeeding week has its own significance and particular services. I kept it for two decades. Not so many years, really. It's a great spiritual exercise, at its best an experience in the mystical.

I still find it difficult at this time of year. I am intensely angry, I no longer attend or observe, but I haven't so far been able to insulate myself against the calendar.

I'm wondering about the experiences of others - mystical or not, observances that are grounded in community or eremitic and ethereal. No agendas, just wondering.

Last edited by orthodoc; 03-08-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Interested in learning rather than in spouting TMI
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Lent bothered me for a couple years after I quite the RC business. I still appreciate what they're trying to do but my view is much more secular now. I see a people who will not actually change their day-to-day lives but will put on a show of making a public attempt. Changing the way your mind is oriented means some habits of thought must be recognized and somehow replaced. The religion of my youth was not up to that challenge.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
orthodoc

Thanks, griff. I spent a lot of energy trying to observe a demanding Lenten schedule with my kids. But while I, and my kids (for a time) did it from conviction, somehow it didn't matter to those who did it for show and who organized everything.

Habits of thought is key, I think. I can still be conscious of how I interact with others, still be observant of my habits.

It's hard to let go of some of the beautiful aspects of the services, the aspects that take you out of and above your daily concerns and on to a bigger view. But if it defeats people it can't really be beautiful, can it?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
glatt

Two thoughts:

One, the bible specifically says not to make a show of it. It's very clear on that point. So I think a lot of people are doing it wrong.

Two, New Years is a convenient time to examine your own life and look for things you can do differently to feel better about yourself. Lent comes around at about the time that you are losing focus on those resolutions, and it's a convenient time to reflect on your life again and perhaps steel your resolve. It takes time for good habits to be cast in place.

Lent is supposed to have a religious aspect to it, but for me, it's more spiritual and self improvement focused.

I have no problem attending services and participating in them but only taking what I want from them and leaving the rest.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
orthodoc

The Old Orthodox schedule in Lent is very demanding; it originated in monastic practice. There's beauty in following the full schedule, because then you see the continuity from day to day. However, it's almost impossible for people who aren't monastics.

For a long time I very much wanted to be a monastic, but with four children it really wasn't in the cards. Now I know for sure it isn't in the cards.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Losing my religion ...
If your religion doesn't come looking for you when you're lost, it probably isn't much of a religion now anyway. - the Good Shepherd
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If your religion has to come looking for you, you're doing it wrong. ~Gravdigr

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

If your religion cannot coexist with all other religions (and aethists), then it is wrong.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I say, tw, how remarkably intolerant of you. you sound positively zealous on that point.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Phobic.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
orthodoc

Indeed. I was wondering about positive experiences others have had, not trying to get into arguments about whether one religion or another is wrong. I suspect they're all aspects of human desire/approach/experience with what some call the 'divine'. All bearing truth and all falling short.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He told me the deposit slips were by the entrance.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have met some wonderful christians in my time. Also, some very nice muslims too. A few pretty noisy hindus and the odd budhist. There are people out there who do practice the loving tenets of their particular religion, and do so all their lives. They are the diamonds in the rough, and well worth finding.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The people practicing are usually OK. The one's preaching, proselytizing, not so much.