The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Trying to outsmart a squirrel

Last night when the Mrs and I turned in we heard something in the crawlspace part of the roof over our bedroom. It went on for an hour or so before the visitor decided to turn in for the night. We agreed it must be a squirell that had found a way into the attic. As I fly back to Atlant on Saturday, my wife left with explicit instructions to do something about it.

So I spent an hour or so inspecting the overhangs of our roof and finally found a neatly carved entry point right under the soffit overhang. How the little bastard was able to hang on upside down and eat through the 1/2 inch plywood soffit I'll never figure out.

So I put up the extension ladder and took a scrap of wood, the cordless drill and some drywall screws and plugged the hole. I mean, afterall it's a beautiful day here after a crappy one so most squirells with any sense are out feeding or playing or sunning themselves, right?

I got on the computer and after awhile I here him in the attic above my office, so I go and get my pellet gun. This isn't any average Daisy Red Rider, it's a fancy ass German marksman model that shoots those lead pellets and has the stopping power just shy of a 22! I open the attic door and THERE HE IS! But I couldn't get the gun shouldered before he disappeared behind the furnace. I just spent close to 10 grand on a new AC and furnace system so shooting from the hi[ in the general direction of my new furnace was not an option

So I went outside and up the ladder and removed the patch, now that I knew he was in there I realized without an escape route he be in there for good. Then I got the pellet gun and doned my camo hunting jacket (nice and warm as well as good cover). I picked a spot in the garden out in front of my house and sat down. Now at this point I have no idea if he slipped out while I was grabbing my gear inside but decided it was worth a wait.

About an hour went by and I was reminded of how much we miss when we aren't paying attention and in a hurry outside or just inside the house. Several squirells bounced from tree to tree but I don't think either was the one in the attic, too big. I pondered what were the odds that he was still in the attic waiting for enough time to pass to escape. Some large vultures flew overhead, a male cardinal chased a female.

No luck, I think I'll try again later this afternoon. This is kind of a fun way to waste my day! :p

Oh and we definately have grey squirells here in Houston!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
No luck, I think I'll try again later this afternoon. This is kind of a fun way to waste my day! :p

Oh and we definately have grey squirells here in Houston!
LOL, why am I having images of Carl Spackler?

Last edited by Shawnee123; 09-25-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Dude...bad news. If you've got a bunch of squirrels, even if you knock out the I'm Alright rodent, another will just occupy his niche. That's ecology for ya.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well, I think I may have won round one.

Upon returning from lunch with my wife I saw the smallish squirell sitting on the edge of the roof as we entered the driveway, luckily he sprinted over the roof rather then ducking back into the attic.

I proceeded to don my camo parka (brown wetland grass patern), grab my gun and find a comfy spot leaning against a big pine tree. I figured I'd wait and see if either the creature returns or another one emerges.

I waited peacefully for an hour and watched countless squirells chasing each other from tree to tree and even had a few come with in 20 feet, but as I could not 100% ID the culprit I let them go; I'm not completely morally bankrupt.

After an hour and my leg going to sleep, I climbed the ladder in hopes that the attic is empty and attached 2 scraps of English Walnut (left over from an old attempt at furniture repair). At least the walnut should be harder then the ceder siding or the plywood.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

My wife phoned me yesterday (I'm back at my parent's house in Atlanta) to report she heard squirrels in the attic again. I told her to go look where I had boarded up the whole near the roof. She reported that they have made a new hole through the wood and that while watching she saw 4 squirrels come out of the hole.

I think we have some kind of mutant part beaver squirrels!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, they chew through nuts....a board is a minor inconvenience.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

steel wool.

or treat the wood with poison.

or...wait until they're in there, attach a trap to the outside, then scare them into it from inside.

also, jinx says......just shoot one, and put it's head on a spike near the hole as a warning.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Momdigr was all: "How in the world did he know to take the top off? This is just amazing!"

Popdigr explained that's the only place the squirrel could smell the sunflower seeds that were inside, so that's where he chewed.

Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
GunMaster357
Professor

Some seeds with poison in the attic, maybe?

And, yes, I'm morally corrupted.

In case you've got children be very careful if you choose to employ this method.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Any attempt to outsmart squirrels is doomed to failure.

I'm tellin' yah, they're going to survive The Big One along with the roaches.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Outsmart squirrels?

You're nuts!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

rat poison works well
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

If you want to outsmart something, you have to be at least 10% smarter than it.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

it's pretty easy to get rid of them. get a 5 gallon can of gas and pour it all around your attic. let it soak into your insulation. next time you hear the little f'ers, toss a match in the attic. problem solved!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Why wait? Just burn down your house now. That'll stop the little bastards.

Tags
boring