The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #9691
Nirvana
Back in 10

I think that when I called Friday someone got an email and my check was hastily made up to look like it had been there. Why I think that is because the bank the check is on is the same as my bank the only possible foul up could be the wrong address but the acct number was correct for the bank. Also the body language and actions of the HR person.

YAY the weather men were wrong!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #9692
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

sundae, sorry about your uncle, and your cat.

nirvana, glad you got a check, I would strongly encourage you to keep fighting for the four hours they've shorted you. Wage theft is a real issue-don't let it slide.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #9693
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I just got back from the vet with Slick. He has to have another tooth taken out. $75 to confirm what I said all along. Then another $30 for antibiotic shot. If that doesn't clear up the bit of infection by Tuesday, another round of the antibiotic pills. Ever try to give a cat pills? I swear I can actually hear him go "Ptui!", and the distance he can get on an ejection! Wow.

I could never put Slick down because of annoyance, or inconvenience. I assumed a certain responsibility when I/we took him in, and discarding that responsibility would be breach of contract, and, well, high and low points considered, he's held up his end. In spades.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #9694
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Awww. Poor Slick.

And poor you.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #9695
Nirvana
Back in 10

Try branschwieger (sp) liverwurst for the pills Gravdigr ...go Slick!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #9696
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I could never put Slick down because of annoyance, or inconvenience. I assumed a certain responsibility when I/we took him in, and discarding that responsibility would be breach of contract, and, well, high and low points considered, he's held up his end. In spades.
You're a good man, Grav. As for giving a cat a pill ... I've done that plenty. It helps to have a second person handy, and a large bath towel. Mummy-wrap the cat in said towel; open the cat's jaws by prying at the lip crease; press in with a thumb and finger on either side to really get optimal mouth-opening; and either you or your helper immediately jettison that pill/capsule/whatever far back into the cat's throat. FAR, far back is the key. As soon as that happens, clamp the cat's jaws shut and hold them shut. Stroke the cat's throat and murmur to him/her (doesn't matter what profanities you murmur as long as it's a comforting murmur). Don't let the cat open its jaws until you see its throat convulse in a swallow. Hold on until you see that swallow.

If your helper (or your right hand) doesn't get the pill/capsule/whatever far enough back, you'll have to try again. It has to hit the very back of the throat. You can do it. I had to do this dozens of times while I had a cattery, and it works.

Grav, I applaud your commitment and sense of responsibility. Our animals depend on us. Two thumbs up (and more, if I had them) to you!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #9697
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dont you have those pill syringe things over there? They are great. You can just about insert the pill directly to the gut!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #9698
monster
I hear them call the tide

one less tooth means less chance he'll bite into the chunk of meat and find the pill, no?

pea-shooter. Beano-style (for the Brits)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #9699
monster

wait, I actually do have sensible advice for a one-person approach. If all the towel business isn't for you, grab the scruff, use the other hand to pop the pill in when he opens then push the jaw shut and hold, then blow (gently) on his nostrils. the keep-mouth-closed-and-swallow reflex works pretty much every time. With babies too, should you be getting broody. (Not that baby. necessarily)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 AM   #9700
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I spent the last two or three years of Pilau's little life shoving pills down his throat every day.

Oh, he was a nightmare. Bless him, he was cooperative ... except for the swallowing part. I swear he had a hamster cheek pouch thing going on.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #9701
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Diz is the easiest cat I've ever had to give tablets to.
He's just SO greedy. He assumes everything is food and will try to swipe anything that is going from my hand to my mouth - eat first ask later.

Good luck with Slick, Grav.

Update on Mia - still alive.
Mum is house-sitting for my bro's in-laws, so the issues are on hold. Mia doesn't play up half so much with Mum gone anyway...

And Uncle Ted's funeral is on Tuesday, and I am quite looking forward to it, in a way.
I haven't seen Dad's side of the family in years, as Ted was incapable of travel and although Mum & Dad visited him, it was never a whole family kinda trip.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #9702
glatt

Funerals are bittersweet that way.

It's great to see everyone, but so sad at the same time.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #9703
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
wait, I actually do have sensible advice for a one-person approach. If all the towel business isn't for you, grab the scruff, use the other hand to pop the pill in when he opens then push the jaw shut and hold, then blow (gently) on his nostrils. the keep-mouth-closed-and-swallow reflex works pretty much every time. With babies too, should you be getting broody. (Not that baby. necessarily)
oh I forgot to mention: if you can, stroke the throat with the hand holding the gob shut
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #9704
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What's upsetting you today?

"...the doctor says you gonna die."
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #9705
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is this a reference to something I'm missing, or did a doctor actually say this about you, foot?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss