The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

5/10/2005: Dinosaur tracks

A recent earth sci pic of the day, sent along by xoB, these are dinosaur tracks. The EPOD caption:

The photo above showing dinosaur footprints on a limestone slab was taken in the Fumanya Coal Mine, near the city of Berga (Catalogna) in northern Spain. This large surface layer of Maestrichtian (upper Cretaceous) lacustrine limestone was exposed during mining activity. Fumanya Mine is located in the southern Pyrenees Mountains. The numerous alignments of rounded traces which can be observed here are tracks of dinosaur footprints. Given the size and the general shape of their footprints, these animals were probably sauropods -- large plant eating dinosaurs. Note also the superb network of small- scale offset faults that crosscut the structural surface.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
glatt

I've got no sense of the scale of this thing from the picture. Those look like a house cat's tracks to me.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
jaguar
whig

Question

now remember everybody, these were put here by THE ALMIGHTY LORD to test our faith.

glatt - picture is taken from above, probably a shopper, the area shot is about 20m wide.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
glatt

I'm an idiot. I didn't see the scale in the corner.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
now remember everybody, these were put here by THE ALMIGHTY LORD to test our faith.
Erm, I'm pretty sure they were put there by big lizards. Your newfound acceptance of the concept of God is heartening, though. Rough around the edges, but it's a start.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
sandra77
Antagonistic Antagonist

What a great picture!! Of course, dinosaurs are one of my favorite things. I would love to see this in real life.

Sandra
sandra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Spain awaits, Madam.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

All we need now is for one of the dragon prints to have a human footprint in it and we'll be done.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There was a "creation archeologist" who was caught chiseling toe prints into some dinosaur tracks to make them look more like human footprints back in the 80s.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Any way to point me in a direction to cite that? I'd heard about the footprint in a footprint thing, but I never really looked into it.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm sure it is true, there are idiots abundant in every religion and philosophy. and that guy deserved to catch a chisel between the eyes.

but seriously, don't you get tired of dogging people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves? it goes in spurts around here. nothing for awhile, and then several threads will careen off into christian bashing. quite often people who call themselves christians deserve to be slapped around for being stupid - but i don't see how that justifies ridicule of those that choose to follow Christ's teachings.

i'm not very good analogies but here goes: TW is an engineer who has liberal leanings. I disagree with TW on damn near everything. Should I then feel justified in ridiculing all liberal, or all engineers as stupid arrogant jackasses who...? or can i just realize that TW is one person who makes his own choices and it would be unfair to judge all by the actions of one?

edit: reread my post and thought i should clarify. TW - i do not think you are stupid. arrogant, sure. jackass, maybe. it was just an awkward analogy.

Last edited by lookout123; 05-11-2005 at 11:41 AM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
but seriously, don't you get tired of dogging people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves? it goes in spurts around here. nothing for awhile, and then several threads will careen off into christian bashing. quite often people who call themselves christians deserve to be slapped around for being stupid - but i don't see how that justifies ridicule of those that choose to follow Christ's teachings.
"People who try to put young-Earth creationism into public schools" doesn't have much to do with "people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves". Personally, I only have an issue with people who try to enforce something they call christianity on everyone else. If gays were running around trying to force everyone to marry someone of the same sex, I'd have the same problem with them. Or if the wiccans were trying to put Goddess stories into history books. Or if Jews were trying to ban non-kosher foods.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
"People who try to put young-Earth creationism into public schools" doesn't have much to do with "people who hold faith in a higher power than themselves". Personally, I only have an issue with people who try to enforce something they call christianity on everyone else. If gays were running around trying to force everyone to marry someone of the same sex, I'd have the same problem with them. Or if the wiccans were trying to put Goddess stories into history books. Or if Jews were trying to ban non-kosher foods.
This one time, at wiccan camp...
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

As a literal creationist, I don't think Creationist views should be in public school at all.

Nor should Evolution as origin of man.

At the school-age level, no origin of man need be discussed at all.

It is not up to our schools to indoctrinate our children in ANY religion, humanist or otherwise.

And the tracks you refer to that were faked are the paluxy tracks.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
It is not up to our schools to indoctrinate our children in ANY religion, humanist or otherwise.
Evolution isn't religion, humanist or otherwise. Nor is the presence of dinosaurs.

-mike
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote