The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #31
sugarpop
Professor

And if it is used as a political tool (like killing abortion doctors) it becomes a form of domestic terrorism.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*blinks* shit mark a calendar, me and Dave agreed!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #33
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

C'mon Dani - we agree a lot more than you'd like to admit.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #34
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I guess I just don't "get it". To me, any crime is a crime against society as a whole because it is a destabilizing force that sends the message of "I'm going to do what I want, and how it harms anyone else is irrelevant to me". So in my mind, a person who kills because of religion like the abortion doctor murderer, and a person who kills because of revenge for say cheating on a lover, are equally wrong because the end result is the same: someone murdered and society as a whole is worse off for it. A person's actions that prove them to be unwilling to abide by the rules of "civilized society", murder in this case, can stem from a variety of causes like racism, greed, etc., but what it boils down to is that this person is a destabilizing/destructive force and needs to be removed from society. Whether the cause is racism, religion, money, or revenge it doesn't matter in my mind. The fact that a person was willing to kill over whatever the cause is what's truly sick to me and what should carry the most weight when it comes time to decide what to do with them.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #35
classicman

Thats all true Bullitt and I agree. But to clqssify the crime - now thats what this is about. That way we can do studies and take surveys and compile data and create statistics and legislate and create laws and jobs and and and...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #36
DanaC

and eat a bowl of dicks?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
classicman

and spend, spend, spend babyyyy
Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
sugarpop
Professor

So then attack on the US was just mass murder. Daniel Perle's murder was just another murder. Why are we so upset ablout it then?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #39
Bullitt

Because there's nothing "just" about it. Murder is a terribly destructive force in communities and should be dealt with swiftly and harshly in all circumstances. Lets say you line up two men against a wall with two shooters about to kill them. One shooter is a religious nutjob and the other a jilted lover. They both proceed to murder their victims. Should one be punished more harshly than the other? I argue no, they both committed the same heinous act and should both be held to the same standard of punishment. There is no such thing as "just another murder".
Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
DanaC

'just' mass murder? No. That attack was a crime against the entire American people. If, as they believe, they are at war, thne they are at the very least guilty of a warcrime.

I don't think labelling a murder a 'hate crime' should mean it is punished more harshly. Giving it that label merely recognises the subtle difference between a 'personal' crime and a crime against society. One crime is contained within itself. The other has the potential for wider implications (possibly leading to crimes against humanity such as happened in nazi Germany or Rwanda)
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #41
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Because there's nothing "just" about it. Murder is a terribly destructive force in communities and should be dealt with swiftly and harshly in all circumstances. Lets say you line up two men against a wall with two shooters about to kill them. One shooter is a religious nutjob and the other a jilted lover. They both proceed to murder their victims. Should one be punished more harshly than the other? I argue no, they both committed the same heinous act and should both be held to the same standard of punishment. There is no such thing as "just another murder".
There is a difference even though the outcome and intent are the same. When you kill someone for cheating, they performed a personal act against you. If I did not want to be killed by this person, I would just not have to cheat on them. When you kill someone because of their identity, they did nothing against you. If I did not want to be killed by this person, I would have to change or hide my entire identity. That is the biggest factor in my opinion.

Classicman, Obama obviously wasn't endosed by the KKK but some members did vote for him. I was bored last year and looked at Stormfront and saw a HUGE controversy of some members supporting Obama. Their reasons were legitimate as well.

Obama being elected, in some respects, help the KKK in the same way that Bush's invasion of Iraq helped Al Qaeda. Since Obama got elected, KKK membership has shot up.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...14-401,00.html
Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #42
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
...Obama being elected, in some respects, help the KKK in the same way that Bush's invasion of Iraq helped Al Qaeda. Since Obama got elected, KKK membership has shot up.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...14-401,00.html
Well that is just sickening.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #43
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Its not surprising. It doesn't really matter though, the KKK has very little influence or power. Their reign is well over.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #44
Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
There is a difference even though the outcome and intent are the same. When you kill someone for cheating, they performed a personal act against you. If I did not want to be killed by this person, I would just not have to cheat on them. When you kill someone because of their identity, they did nothing against you. If I did not want to be killed by this person, I would have to change or hide my entire identity. That is the biggest factor in my opinion.
You make a good point/distinction there in regards to whether they performed a personal act against you or not, maybe I should have used a different example instead like killing someone for their car. To me what matters most is that the person is willing to kill period, whether it be for money or one less gay man in the world. The fact that they think they're above society and can do what they like, i.e. straight up murder someone, is more damaging in my mind than the racial or religious motivations behind the killing. Though I can see how racial or religious hatred can be a catalyst for tensions to run high enough that killings take place, and in that regard solving those differences is a high priority.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #45
Mad Professor
Belt Conveyor

I saw a party election broadcast by the BNP leader Nick Griffin on the telly before the election, and it made me sick to see the guy actually being given airtime on national tv.

Someone in the Cabinet, can't remember who now, predicted a while ago that with the onset of recession there was a danger that fascism would rise in support, and it seems he was right.

The only crumb of comfort is that as far as I'm aware the European Parliament doesn't have much power, most of the decision making comes from the EU Commission in Brussels and ministers from member state governments.

Lo Fidelity Allstars
Mad Professor is offline   Reply With Quote