The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 09-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Well darn that's good. Puts my memorial to shame. HLJ, I know this stickbug looks nothing like Gustav...eyes are the wrong color, lips are all wrong...but it's all I could find.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Wow! I don't know what to say. Gustav would be so happy.

Let me see if he's still on the porch where I left him.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Shawnee123

Whut? That f*ckers not dead yet?
Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

nom nom nom stickbug soup
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #20
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I would think that one of the best compliments you could get, as a parent, is someone saying "now that's a nice kid!"
We use to get that all the time, which I usually followed with, "Yea but you don't have to live with them." They always seemed to act better when away than when at home. I guess that is normal.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Whut? That f*ckers not dead yet?
I FEEL HAPPY! I THINK I'LL GO FOR A WALK...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Shawnee123

Quit it foot3...that's twice today I've almost spit coffee all over my keyboard, 'cause of you and your tomfoolery!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #23
Juniper
I know, right?

Back to the subject...thanks Ali for starting this, now I have a thread to post about my latest grin.

I was driving my 12 year old daughter home from a birthday party tonight. She told me this - the quote isn't exact, but close as I can remember:

"y'know what, mom? I'm happy. I'm really happy with my life. There isn't anything I need, no clothes, no toys, I have so much I don't even want anything else. I feel sorry for all those kids that aren't happy without Abercrombie and fancy cell phones, because they're not really happy. I feel good inside, I'm healthy, I'm pretty, I'm smart, I have lots of friends and I never have a bad day. All I really care about doing right now is sleeping, eating, doing cheer and getting good grades. And making other people happy, too. I think I'll give some of my stuff away to kids who need it."

Yeah, I know your first reaction would be to say...um...what is this REALLY about? But I heard her say something similar a few days ago, about being happy with her life, and I think she really means it.

Pretty spectacular for a 12 year old girl, I think.

I hope it lasts!

I also wish my son would catch on.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Quit it foot3...that's twice today I've almost spit coffee all over my keyboard, 'cause of you and your tomfoolery!
Two more of your keyboards and we'll be even.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #25
binky
all hollowed out

Count your blessings, Juniper. My 12 year old daughter mixes days like that with door-slamming, eye rolling days, but thankfully more good than bad.(Except for the fact that she is ashamed of her 2 yr old, hand me down cell phone, her first real brush with gadget envy )
Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #26
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
Count your blessings, Juniper. My 12 year old daughter mixes days like that with door-slamming, eye rolling days, but thankfully more good than bad.(Except for the fact that she is ashamed of her 2 yr old, hand me down cell phone, her first real brush with gadget envy )
Oh, she does that too. I've noticed fewer of those days lately, though. I'm trying to keep track of the calendar.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:22 AM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know you don't need parenting advice, but just be sure to treat each day's mood as it comes. I went through the usual teen extreme highs and lows and Mum used each mood to beat me about the head with. So that when I thought the world was a wonderful place and said so she'd say, "This won't last, you'll be moaning again soon, stop being so over-dramatic" etc. And when it was a grey day in my head and the world was unbearably cruel she would say with grimly satisfied sarcasm, "Oh I thought everything was perfect, I thought you were soooooo happy, not hearing that today are we?"

In hindsight I know she was mostly trying to even me out with a little bit of irritation thrown in the mix. But at the time it really hurt me and we weren't close until I moved out. Even now I know I still hold something of myself back from her, because I'm still scared of her rejection.

Just saying.

And Binky & Juniper I'm glad your daughters appreciates what they have. Juniper - follow up on her giving stuff away. Hell, make it a family clear-out. I'm a big believer in charity giving, donating and volunteering and it warms my heart when kids show an interest in it too.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #28
Juniper
I know, right?

Good point. Usually the closest I get to doing that is to say, "I'm glad you feel that way, let's hope it lasts."
Old 09-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #29
Shawnee123

Junie, you reminded me of this: I saw the cutest thing on Funniest Home Videos once. A mom had made a playhouse for her little girl for a Christmas present. She videotaped the big unveiling, it was really neat, with a bunk up top and everything. The little girl was crying from happiness and asked if she could sleep in there that night (must have been a warm clime.) Mom said "but tomorrow is Christmas, Santa is coming." The little girl cried "I don't want Santa to come, this is all I'll ever want."

Brought tears to my eyes!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #30
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yesterday I got my son Mav a new bike. He was very excited about it and grateful and all the rest, and we were talking about what he's going to do with it as you do. After a while he went quiet and was looking quite thoughtful then he said, "I'll have to get as much riding in over the christmas holidays as I can because when the baby comes next year I wont have as much time to play because I'll be helping you Mum."