The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
crossfire
The White Rapper

Droid x or iphone 4

I am getting a new phone tomorrow, i have a motorola droid now, should i get droid x iphone4? there are very pros and cons of each. battery life and itunes is very important, but also cell reception and visuals are important
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Droid is cool, iPhone 5 is being hinted at for later this year. Might not be a good time to get into the end of a product cycle, eh?

I just got an HTC Inspire Android phone and love it, except for the battery life. Using a smartphone means never being far away from an outlet. battery life is great when it's just sitting there, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I love my Droid 2, except for the screen I cracked after about a month of having it.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Cloud

boss has a Droid phone. It's really big and clunky--not so good if you wear it on your hip
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

My wife & I both have android HTC Incredibles. They're great. We did invest in the larger battery for them, though.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

I've used both

The iPhone is the better choice.

The Droid drains its battery on email like crazy. I've seen it.

Verizon can't even release a stable platform for it. I've had many random reboots on my personal Android handset.

The iPhone 4, on the other hand, is awesome. It is incredibly fast, and it is very stable. It also can last all day on a charge when you have it hooked up to your Exchange server at work.

Until Google gets their act together, I recommend the iPhone. Apple provides better support than many of the Android phone manufacturers, and the iPhone 4 (soon to be 5) is really fast.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Any HTC phone powered by Android is going to be great. I owned an ipod touch for years, which runs the same software as the iphone, and I sold the thing just a week after I got my new HTC EVO with Android 2.2. Its a fantastic phone, and totally blows the iphone out of the water.

You can customize your interface any number of ways you want. With mine I have a dedicated pane for home screen with clock/weather and communication apps, next pane is full screen calendar synced to my Google account, another pane has a full screen music app, then my other panes have commonly used apps sorted by type. Its a 1000% better user interface experience than the iphone. All you get with the iphone is wall after wall of a grid of apps. No backgrounds either. And the system notification tray is very handy.

HTC knows how to build solid hardware too. The phone is always very quick and responsive. Hasn't frozen once either. Those who tout the iphone as a device sent from god over any Android powered phone are just being biased. This phone is incredibly well put together, and I have zero complaints about it thus far. I bought the extended battery, yet another option the iphone doesn't have since it has no user replaceable battery. This battery will last all day and then some under heavy usage. I'm talking streaming internet radio, gps with Google turn-by-turn navigation for work, emailing, surfing the web, playing games, etc. At least 12 hours of that. With medium to light usage, I can make it go 24 hours without a charge. Iphone can't do that unless you add on some huge external battery pack that plugs into the bottom port. Lol@that.

I wouldn't trade my EVO with Android for any other phone on the market right now. Period. Google does have their act together, don't believe the isheep BS.

Last edited by Bullitt; 04-16-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

have a huawei droid powered phone. i love it!

(huawei, i know, samsung knockoff but better that what i had and fit my budget! )
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I have a Driod X with Verizon. Cell phone reception is more a function of the provider than the phone. A long time ago we switched from T-Mobile to Verizon because we could not use our cellphones in our house, our coverage began about 15 feet out the front door.

I like the Droid X. The embedded camera is only fair, but I have no data for comparison.

I also had to spring for the $99 bundle that included home and car cradles. The GPS function is nice and beats my old Tom Tom One in that it gives street names.

BTW, check out www.meritline.com for cellphone accessories. All shipping is free for any amount, if you don't mind the fact that the stuff comes almost literally on a slow boat from China .
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
mbpark
Lecturer

Android is nice for individual users

We tried Android at work with some of the most demanding users you can have in doctors.

We used all Verizon devices, and had about 30 people hammering away at Android devices. We had the Droid X, Droid 2, and original Droid, all running at least Froyo (2.2). We had a few other devices from HTC in the mix as well.

Within 3 months, we had an OTA update blow away Exchange Server connectivity for several doctors. We had another OTA update screw up the calendar for another. The solution was Touchdown, which is $20 from the Market, and causes a mess when you change passwords because you have to change them twice. Touchdown is a great program, however, as it fixes the Exchange issues that Android has. Too bad it doesn't integrate well. The battery life on ActiveSync is outright horrible. I just turned off e-mail on a Droid X for someone because the battery life was down to under 6 hours.

Additionally, we had to have three sets of Android instructions for enterprise connectivity. One set was for the HTC Evo 4G, one was for the Droid 1 and 2 (which also works for the LG Ally and many other devices), and one was for the Droid X (Verizon apparently shipped half of them with Corporate Sync, and half with the standard Android utilities that the Droid 1 and 2 have).

Within three months, many of the doctors were clamoring for the iPhone, and one switched back to a Blackberry. We still get calls about calendaring problems on Android. The only people who still use theirs are the ones that have really tweaked their devices, or who are waiting for something else. The random reboots that we found didn't help either.

We also ran a separate test with the Blackberry Bold. I told our Verizon rep that we couldn't deploy it without causing issues with our staff due to performance issues. BB OS 6 has random slowdowns and crashes that 5.x does not have. Hopefully OS 6.1 will fix them.

We also tested the Palm Pre and Pre Plus, which functioned very well despite having the worst app store and an inability to display half the attachments we had it try to open. WebOS is really great otherwise, and integrated the Exchange Global Address List into the phone when you dialed by name. If you have Google, it would also integrate Google Contacts. It also integrates Facebook, LinkedIn, and other services directly into the phone dialer. Too bad HP's going to screw it up like they do with everything else they acquire, and they probably won't fix the PDF Viewer and Documents to Go issues we found.

We've been running several iPhones for the past two months. They just work. We have people that punish these phones on a daily basis on purpose to try and break them. So far, the only issue we found is with running a software update with Credant disk/USB encryption software enabled.

We've had Dell in as well trying to push the Streak for healthcare. I've talked with Dell about their Android initiatives, and flat-out told them that they needed to provide better administrative tools for mass field deployment like Apple and RIM offer, because Android just doesn't have them yet.

We've had Verizon in with the Motorola Xoom. When Google fixes the backward compatibility issues with the apps from Android Market, the overall stability issues with Honeycomb, and the enterprise deployment options that they need to have for mass deployment, then maybe we'll consider them. We crashed a Xoom within 5 minutes. We didn't break the iPad.

I'm no iSheep. I have a job where we have people who have been researching these devices for a large enterprise deployment for the past several months with the cooperation of major phone carriers.

We broke the latest Blackberry devices. We broke Android. We broke WebOS with PDF, Word, and Excel documents. We found one flaw with iOS, and it wasn't with them, it was with disk encryption software interfering with the "handshake" that a USB device had under Windows 7 Professional x64 Edition running Credant's USB device encryption software and 64-bit iTunes running a software update, i.e. a use case that very few people are going to see in real life.

In other words, Android looks nice, and it's completely tweakable, but it has a long way to go on many fronts to catch iOS. If HP got their head out of you know where, they might be able to have a contender. If RIM fixes their issues, they might be able to keep their market share and not lose more to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It sounds like if you are tied to the Microsoft universe you need an iphone whereas if you are tied to the Google universe you want Android?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
mbpark
Lecturer

UT,

Not exactly. The iPhone actually ties into the Google universe quite well. They (Google) licensed ActiveSync so you can bring over Google Calendar, Contacts, and Gmail with push format. It's really quite good.

The scary part is that Windows Phone 7 has the same level of Google integration. The OS isn't there yet, but it's got it now.

And this is coming from someone with an iOS and Android handset next to me.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
XAgent
Vivacious Vivisectionist

The way I see it is if you like customizing everything and want to be different from the Apple crowd, get an Android-powered phone. If you want something that will be very easy to use and works well with your existing iTunes collection, go for iOS.

I have a friend who has a Droid X and while it looks nice, sure, I thought the interface was extremely counter-intuitive for my tastes. Going through menus seemed sluggish and cumbersome to me. It may sport a high MP camera as a nice feature, buuuut I like my iPhone 4 much better. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I'd rather much take ease of use over widgets right now, or until Apple finally comes up with something similar.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have both...an iPhone 4 for personal use and a Droid for work. I like the Droid, but it does eat up battery life and it regularly reboots itself. And I just like the way the iPhone works...and I'm not exactly a Mac geek (the only other Apple product I've ever owned is an iPod).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote