The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #5821
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I'd be proud to get a D in religious education but nothing else.

The self-deprecating behaviour is a bit of a a worry, though.
There, there, ZenGum, you'll be fine. You're plenty sharp and we know it, despite your protestations to the contrary.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #5822
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The Cellar Car made it just fine out to Pittsburgh and back, to meet with the folks about the work I'm doing for them. Last month it had the same rough engine and check engine light flashing that it had five months ago, but it healed itself, as it always does. This was a 500 mile excursion, over two days. It is currently pleased with its Sunoco 93 octane fuel.

You should know that the Cellar Car has helped me tremendously. I was going to take J's car out there, but her brakes developed a problem. Her car is not self-healing. So it was up to the Cellar Car to make the trip, which it did with zeal. The rolling hills (large hills or small mountains) and tunnels of the Pennsylvania Turnpike were a pleasing drive to both of us.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #5823
Griff
still says videotape

The CC with nanotech self-healing technologies is awesome but no '97 Frontier.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #5824
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

The incredible weather today and the fact that we are going to see The Atlantic Rhythm Section playing free at a local park this evening.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #5825
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

*envious*

I need a life.

Sounds fun, Pico!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #5826
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

It was nice, we took our lawn chairs and set them in the grass in front of the park pavilion. They had a pretty good set up, it felt like a real concert. We heard "Spooky", "I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight", "I Am So Into You", and "Champagne Jam" before we left. Just missed "Imaginary Lover", which I would have liked to hear, but hubby has to work in the morning.

ETA: I cant believe I typed Atlantic in the previous post...

Last edited by Pico and ME; 08-28-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #5827
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Sarge is ok
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #5828
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm with you there Dana

Today, I am happy because we are going back to the White Hart, which we went to about 3 weeks ago. On that occasion, we went with vouchers from my sister as a thank you for cat-sitting.

Unfortunately we had a pretty poor time. The company was good and we enjoyed ourselves, but the food and the service were substandard, so I completed an online feedback form. This week I got a letter of apology and an offer of a complimentary main course for all four of us with a drink each.

Wahay! So we're going again today.
Mum is in two minds, saying they will spit in our food and moaning, "Why couldn't they just give us vouchers?" Personally I'm delighted - my second meal out in a month. And I'm sure they were just teething problems and we'll have a better meal this time. And if we do I'll definitely leave feedback to say so.

Nom nom nom, just been checking the menu and am well-primed.

Oh and Yo! Sushi has opened in Milton Keynes. Mum and I are going to go for the Blue Plate Special in October half term. I've invited my niece and sister, but I doubt they'll come, or even respond. Still, with them or without them it's going to be a yearly ritual for Mum and I. It's our annual Fuck Cancer meal (a little later this year - Fuck Cancer Day is the anniversary of her surgery on 17 September - I will be making her a card!)

Am off to put on a little bit of sparkle in a few minutes. I may take my camera to impress you with our repast. I'm certainly taking a tupperware box in case of leftovers!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #5829
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Made contact with the management of a favorite band, and they will donate an autographed something for us to auction to help restore the old movie/stage theatre in town. I love it when the great are good!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #5830
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
My F*king chip resetter RULES!11!!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #5831
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We had a pretty good meal, except:
I ordered the LARGE mixed grill (yes I took a lot home in my leftovers box!) but just got a mixed grill. The waiter was superb and came back with the missing items within 5 minutes.
The meat was all pretty dry on both Mixed Grills (Dad ordered the regular).
It took 45 minutes for us to get our meal (but then there was not a free table in the place when we sat down).

Given that it was free, I was very pleased with it.
I need to get back to them and tell them that the chap who looked like Jeff Brazier was superb.

Pic attached. Of my meal I mean.

Tonight I am happy because I made Mum happy.
Ste bought her a selection from Lush (handmade toiletry company) for her birthday on Sept 3rd and she cheekily opened it early because she couldn't resist the smell. She mistook the strawberry massage bar for a soap and was really disappointed when she tried to use it in the shower. So to appease her, I massaged her feet with it tonight. Now she LOVES having her feet "played with". Dad can do it in future - he doesn't mind it, he married the woman! But I'm happy because I turned a Fail into a Good Present and relaxed her at the same time. And indeed my hands still exude Sundae goodness.

There were other items of course, but the one she'd used didn't work as she expected and I could tell a cloud of disappointment now surrounded the whole present. She'll give the others more of a chance now.

Goodness knows what she'll make of mine - I bought seedlings from eBay and potted them up and now have them in a big pot ready for her bday - to provide winter colour for months. It's not exactly an immediate present though... Still, I'm making her a cake on Thursday (birthday Friday) and she doesn't know I have writing-icing, so am hoping to wow her with a personalised cakie. Good or bad I WILL take a picture!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #5832
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I am tooting my own horn here because this last three months have been lacking in any kind of personal feel good moments. I have been so wrapped up in classes and my mother that I haven't spent much time even imagining my own life and who I am within my own skin.

So I received the nicest compliment today. While waiting in a clinic's lobby for my mom, I had an hour chat with an elderly gentleman and his wife. He was fit as a fiddle, spry and sharp. At one point, He asked me,"Why are you single?, You have a wonderful personality," wow One up for the introverts. He also called me feisty, or thought that I could be. I am not sure what he meant by that. I was sure I was a broken down old mare/back mule.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #5833
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Bojangles for breakfast....it's the simple things
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #5834
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'M GOING BACK INTO EDUCATION!
Yay me

Okay, it's only one day a week from 09.30-14.00, but it's for a qualification in learning support, so it's very relevant. In fact you can only do the course if you have a school placement. Luckily my voluntary work counts.

It's a real commitment as it runs for 26 weeks, but if I find work in that time I will have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Frankly if I get paid work as a teaching assistant and have to give up the course I'll still be delighted anyway, to be back in work and doing the job I love. I get my fees waived because I am out of work - it would be £570 otherwise (gasp!) I might even qualify for help with course materials.

How amazing is that? Course starts 16 September. Woohoo!
Of course this is only if the course gets enough attendees... this could all be cancelled if not

Quote:
CACHE - Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools

Quick course information
Course date: 16 Sep 2010
Course time: 09:30 - 14:00
Course duration: 26 weeks
Course Days: Thursday
Category: Childcare
Price: £570
Spaces available: Yes
Course Level: 2
Length: 120 hours

This course aims to:
•Provide a recognised qualification at level 2 for people who support teaching and learning in schools.
•Recognise the essential support work that is carried out in schools in helping children achieve their potential.
•Support roles such as class room assistants, learning and support assistants.
•Develop knowledge that will be desirable for voluntary and paid workers.

It is for… learners who are working in a school at Foundation Stage or Key Stages 1-4 for at least 60 hours per unit. This could be as an employee or volunteer. You will need to be in a school setting working directly with children for 120 hours in total. You will be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment as part of the course induction.

During the course… you will discuss how the role of a teaching assistant supports children’s learning in a school setting. You will work on your own, in pairs and small groups to explore aspects of the course. You will be expected to undertake reading, private study and assignment tasks in your own time.

By the end of the course you will be able to explain:
•The role of the teaching assistant in supporting teaching and learning.
•How inclusion, equality and positive behaviour can be promoted for all pupils in schools.
•Child development and its effect on learning.
•The importance of learning activities.
•How to support learning in relation to the school Curriculum.
•The development of children and young people and factors that might affect development.
•The importance of play in development and learning.
•The importance of observation and recording to support learning and development in schools.
•How to support pupils through transitions.
•How communication skills develop between the ages of 0 to 16 years.
•The importance of communicating with children and young people, in order to develop positive relationships.
•The importance of developing positive relationships through managing communication with adults.
•The effects of legislation on the school’s policies and procedures for keeping children safe.
•The responsibility of all staff within the school to keep children and young people safe within the school environment.
•The responsibility of all staff within the school to safeguard pupils from harm.
•The importance of managing children’s behaviour to keep them safe.
•Roles and responsibilities to provide support for colleagues.
•The difference between personal and professional relationships.
•The types and structures of communication used with the school.
•Why and how you need to continuously improve your work.

After the course… progression routes will be advised during the course due to changes in the sector currently being confirmed.

For the first session please bring… pens, pencils, paper and a lever arch file. You will also need to bring a packed lunch.

You will need to obtain copies of the following policies and procedures from your school.
•Safeguarding pupils including managing disclosure
•Risk assessment
•Accidents, emergencies and reporting procedures
•Childhood illness
•Good hygiene practice
•Diets and allergies
•Safe moving and handling of pupils
•Emergency procedures for fires, security incidents and missing pupils or persons
•Harmful substances / hazardous materials and disposal of waste
•Maintenance and appropriate use of equipment
•Taking pupils out of the school
•Safety and security for the arrival and departure of pupils
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #5835
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

That's a hefty sum for tuition (US $1,500).

Is this "recognised qualification" a requirement ?
Does it lead to a higher pay for those on the faculty ?

I don't think the US has anything like this, especially for "volunteers".
All I have heard of is parent-participation as something expected, or even required, for each child in some classrooms, but certainly no formal training of such length.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote