The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #31
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

If they're retired, why do they need a lawn service? They should be out there on their knees with their tweezers and scissors.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I like the way you think HLJ. In fact, when they are done with their lawn they can come over and tweak mine while I'm at work :0)

Last edited by classicman; 09-24-2008 at 01:32 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

They are retired mayors, bank presidents, college presidents, etc. Get dirty on their own lawns? I trim the lawn but only when the weird tendrils of whatever-it-is overgrow the driveway by 6-12 inches.
And if I was a damn sheep, I'd graze the lawn instead of trimming it!
After 4 years in a condo I rather enjoy working outdoors, so~
Old 09-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #34
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good for you sweetwater - I don't have those types in my neighborhood though. Wish I did.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #35
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
One of these days I am going to invent a trimmer that is part of a the lawnmower. I'm already there cutting grass, I have a whirling device to tap, plenty of deck space to mount a spool - all I need is a button on a cable that will release string when I've got the mower parked by a shaggy-based tree or fence line. Until then, I will just continue to edge in my usual lousy way and wish we could afford a service.
Think the idea is already taken...but if you get a prototype going, show a pic!
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
After 4 years in a condo I rather enjoy working outdoors, so~
I think that's an important note. Some people actually enjoy doing this yard detailing, being outdoors, being busy, being out of nagging earshot, being not able to do the rest of the honey-do list 'cause I gotta edge the lawn, etc.

My problem is when these people start ragging on others, that actually have better things to do... like a life.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #37
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
the code enforcement people go around and check to see if you have been diligent in trimming your lawn, cleaning the yard and making the place beautiful. And they're not shy about handing out citations, either.

I've already lost my temper at the asshole and threatened to FIND him something better to do if he didn't do it himself. From my yard, I see three major code violations, more in the papers.
OMG, THOSE GUYS. The environmental enforcement division of the city. I've run into them before and they are assholes. They'll give you a ticket for weeds. They'll give you a ticket for leaving a garage sale sign out overnight. Petty powerless powermongers.

BTW, I say get rid of your lawn and plant vegies!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #38
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I fixed their little red wagon once already. Need it done again?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #39
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No you don't, stop being a damn sheep.
If he was a sheep, he wouldn't need to trim. Or edge.

ETA: Oh, he said that...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #40
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

If sweetwater was a sheep, sweetwater would be a ewe, not a ram.

I had forgotten about this thread. When I saw the mention of mounting a string trimmer on a mower, I thought, "Hey, that's my idea!"
Old 08-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #41
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh. You type like a man.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #42
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

When I was a kid, these are the precision tools I had to use for yard maintenance (for punishment):
Attached Images

"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #43
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I think that's an important note. Some people actually enjoy doing this yard detailing, being outdoors, being busy, being out of nagging earshot, being not able to do the rest of the honey-do list 'cause I gotta edge the lawn, etc.

My problem is when these people start ragging on others, that actually have better things to do... like a life.
Like ladies who like baking.
Whether they are stay at home mums, or simply like to bake in their time off. Lovely, absolutely fine. It's when they come into the office and mention that so-and-so had a [gasp!] shop-bought cake for their child's birthday! Said in the same hushed tones as if the kid had got an eighth of weed as a present.

No.
Get down off your high horse.
Anyway, I tasted your cupcakes and I know they don't bring all the boys to the yard
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #45
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's funny, Sundae, because I think in the typical group of American mothers you would instead get the whispered snarking that so-and-so had [ugh!] baked her own cake--the big showoff.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote