The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Power Grid Attack

Unknown bad guys took down much of the Ukraine's power grid.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the beat goes on...
Quote:
Symantec on Wednesday revealed a new campaign of attacks by a group it is calling Dragonfly 2.0, which it says targeted dozens of energy companies in the spring and summer of this year. In more than 20 cases, Symantec says the hackers successfully gained access to the target companies’ networks. And at a handful of US power firms and at least one company in Turkey—none of which Symantec will name—their forensic analysis found that the hackers obtained what they call operational access: control of the interfaces power company engineers use to send actual commands to equipment like circuit breakers, giving them the ability to stop the flow of electricity into US homes and businesses.

“There’s a difference between being a step away from conducting sabotage and actually being in a position to conduct sabotage ... being able to flip the switch on power generation,” says Eric Chien, a Symantec security analyst. “We’re now talking about on-the-ground technical evidence this could happen in the US, and there’s nothing left standing in the way except the motivation of some actor out in the world.”
When you suddenly stop the juice going out it's a pain in the ass for the public. I can't flush my toilet, traffic and street lights out, have to watch TV by flashlight, and communications fail. Most critical things have backup power but my ice cream melts. It's also bad for the generators to be suddenly constipated, they'll probably trip out and restart can be a long procedure, but that's only after the operators are sure they have control.

When would it happen? A holiday, a Friday afternoon rush hour, Superbowl Sunday, during a North Korea rocket attack, during a Mexican or Canadian invasion?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... , have to watch TV by flashlight, ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Doubtless during a Canadian invasion. That’s when we will actually be suspicious, not merely Canadian.

Don’t forget access to water; that will be the critical issue. Most of us will do fine without eating for awhile, but lack of water will mess us up.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Don’t forget access to water; that will be the critical issue. Most of us will do fine without eating for awhile, but lack of water will mess us up.
I'm aware of that, that's why I keep a large supply of consumable liquids on hand. I don't worry about them spoiling without refrigeration, because the alcohol content should kill any invading germs.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
sexobon

It's good to have your own watering hole.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
sexobon

I keep this folded up in my wallet for getting water to survive.

Name:  Rain Dance.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  53.9 KB

I keep a kite, a key, and a spool of wire in my kit bag so I can get electricity out of it too.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Meanwhile in America: The good guys are a long way from fixing the grid in PR.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Plus the PR power company is bankrupt, so the chances of them burying the replacement lines is between slim and none.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And the beat goes on...

When you suddenly stop the juice going out it's a pain in the ass for the public. I can't flush my toilet, traffic and street lights out, have to watch TV by flashlight, and communications fail. Most critical things have backup power but my ice cream melts.?
Sooo glad I have my own backup generator (which uses natural gas from the utility...)
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I have a couple friends who have them, as long as the gas flows, which is the least likely utility to be be disrupted. But without that option, units using gasoline or diesel power are a pain in the ass to maintain. Bottled gas is a little better but still requires having fuel on hand.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
glatt

If the Tesla roof tiles ever happen, that may just be the answer. Depending on price.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The trouble with that is batteries. They can be a bigger pain than fuel.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

grid storage could be decentralized, is Tesla's approach, apparently... big ol solar plus battery farm powers 5000 homes on an island in HI

there are powerful batteries in the cars now.... hmmmmm.... "neighbor could I borrow 50 miles worth of range from your Model S? I need hot water for a shower, and then I'll dry some clothes. I promise to give it back tomorrow morning"

still gonna take a while
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's what I was thinking of, Tesla's battery in the home wall. Even if the price comes down they're still big and heavy to handle, and unless some miracle in technology comes along require maintenance and are a fire hazard. You've come a long way baby, but way further to go.