The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #61
Griff
still says videotape

It is now a double homicide instead of a tragic accident...
Old 09-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Short time lapse of the Station Fire.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #63
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

How can something so destructive be so beautiful. ( from afar )

I hope everyone stays safe.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #64
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
If we get the evac order, we are gone.

There are no things that are more important than me being around to raise my kids. I honestly don't understand the people who stay, at all. Idiocy, and false heroics. It's dangerous, and worse, it causes other people (firefighters and parademics) to risk their own lives 12 hours later to come get you when you're trapped in your own burning yard.

There was a half-dozen people who ignored the evac order in Acton (north of the fires), and they put a whole fire crew at risk trying to pull them out of harms way.

Here's the updated map of the fire path. We live in Monrovia, and the southeast corner of the fire is about 10 miles from us.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...0&source=embed
I'm glad you understand the importance of and are willing to follow evac orders, too many knuckleheads don't. And quite honestly they should be held responsible for any injuries or deaths of emergency workers coming to their aid as a result of their selfish choice to stay. Last I read about the arson issue is that they found evidence of an accelerant (gasoline, diesel, etc., some kind of fluid or gel that burns well) at the fire's point of origin.

@Case, classicman, shawnee, griff, and MTP: No wildfire for me this year, maybe next year but who knows. Just signed up with my local volunteer EMS and am taking EMT classes at night while finishing my BA History this Fall. I was planning on moving out to Southern Cal for a job with the Orange County Fire Authority or the LA Fire Department, but due to state budget issues those opportunities evaporated. Looking for something local now, but city budgets are tight here in the rust belt.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #65
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'm glad you understand the importance of and are willing to follow evac orders, too many knuckleheads don't. And quite honestly they should be held responsible for any injuries or deaths of emergency workers coming to their aid as a result of their selfish choice to stay. Last I read about the arson issue is that they found evidence of an accelerant (gasoline, diesel, etc., some kind of fluid or gel that burns well) at the fire's point of origin.

@Case, classicman, shawnee, griff, and MTP: No wildfire for me this year, maybe next year but who knows. Just signed up with my local volunteer EMS and am taking EMT classes at night while finishing my BA History this Fall. I was planning on moving out to Southern Cal for a job with the Orange County Fire Authority or the LA Fire Department, but due to state budget issues those opportunities evaporated. Looking for something local now, but city budgets are tight here in the rust belt.
Thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you're out of it this year! Good luck with the budgets