The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-23-2001, 12:59 PM   #1
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

hi all, oprativ here, a geek/perl monk living in N.Phila.
currently doing a db driven site at the black-sun. dig perl, mySQL, *nix. currently looking for my next consulting gig.

anyway, since there're no posts in tech, i thought i'd lead off. gotta pay my rent, so i'm selling one of my systems:

Dell PII-266
512K SRAM Cache
32M RAM
8G Maxtor HD
STB Velocity (Riva) 4MB AGP Video Card
NEC CD_ROM 32x
Onboard Sound Card - Harmon/Kardon Speakers
Onboard Iomega Zip 100 Drive

Princeton 17" Monitor
Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Microsoft Mouse

$650 in Phila. Area.

if anyone is interested they can feel free to email me.
oprativ

Innocence is negligence.
oprativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2001, 05:23 PM   #2
Hacksaw
Neophyte-in-training

Exclamation

Me thinks $650 is a bit high for a system that's 2-3 years old. Like, umm, at least $300 too high. New Dell systems that are considerably faster and better equipped are selling for under $700.

Just for comparasion, I recently bought a new AMD T-bird 1000Mhz fully-loaded system (12x CDRW, DVD-ROM, 32MB Video, 256MB PC133 RAM, 45GB drive, etc...) for $1000.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2001, 11:08 AM   #3
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

hi hacksaw, thanks for your reply.

well, i forgot to post that i'm including a Back-UPS 650 uninterruptable power supply in the deal. That's a *650*, not the rinky-dink 400.

I'd also call attention to the fact that I'm including a 17" (not 15") monitor, and there's an onboard Zip drive.

i might also add that the PII processor *doesn't* have the serial number that was incorporated by Intel into the PIII processors. I wanted to hold onto my PII's for -posterity-, but i've got to unload. am willing to negotiate, of course.

y'know i still have trouble being comfortable with an AMD. Everything's written for WinTel.

oprativ

[Edited by oprativ on 01-25-2001 at 12:11 PM]

Innocence is negligence.
Old 01-25-2001, 12:01 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You were generous, I think - the speakers are like $50, aren't they; and the natural keyboard isn't the el-cheapo $19.95 item.

I think people will want the older machines more and more in the future, for gateway boxes to act as routers for cable modem setups. If they can be file servers and whatnot it's just a bonus. I will want one soon, but I'm a packrat and should be able to build one from all my old parts.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:58 PM   #5
Hacksaw
Neophyte-in-training

I'd agree that the Back-UPS 650 adds some value to the offer, but it still doesn't appeal to me from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint. Spending $650 for an "old" system when much more powerful new models are at the same price point doesn't make much sense.

In any event, it would make an ideal computer for most people. What's funny... a friend of mine was buying a new machine about a year ago and he insisted on getting the best of everything. He spent about $3000 on a box that he only uses to play solataire and use AOL. What a waste.

As far as AMD goes... the processors are compatible in every sense of the word. No manufacturer is without blunders, but I think AMD has done better in that area than Intel. More-so than the processor though, the chipset, motherboard, memory, and *user* go a long way in making a system stable.

I use AMD systems at home and work under various operating systems and there's been no gliches at all (aside from the normal Windoze ones, which happen regardless of what you're running on).
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 05:14 PM   #6
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

bang for the buck

hey hacksaw,

thanks for the word on the AMD processors, I'll have to take a new look at them.

yeah, isn't it funny how some folks just *have* to have a PII-800 on which to do their word processing?

obviously you're an advanced user, but i thought this might be a good system for someone who was just going to use it routinely for trivial tasks like posting to bulletin boards and answering emails

i might get flexible on the price if anyone's still interested.

regards,
oprativ

Innocence is negligence.
Old 01-30-2001, 06:41 PM   #7
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Re: bang for the buck

Quote:
Originally posted by oprativ

i might get flexible on the price if anyone's still interested.

Got a desk top... and don't have any space for it here in the college style apartment. (Gee, I thought I was done living likle this 11 years ago....)

But do you have any notebooks for sale?????

--- Ruth
Violine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2001, 12:31 AM   #8
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

bang for the buck (cont.)

hi ruth -

yes as a matter of fact i've a Dell laptop w/docking station... you could plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse into it, and it takes up very little room. The laptop's got a CD-ROM drive that's swappable with a 3.5 disk drive or, you can have the 3.5 connected from the parallel port.

please email me for details if you're interested.

oprativ
oprativ@abpeg.org

Innocence is negligence.