The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-02-2001, 07:15 AM   #1
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Question

It has been requested that I share some of my audio files.... Is this possible? Do you have a size limit?

Ruth
Violine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 10:00 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No size limit

But for that we'd want to put up an anonymous FTP area. Let me do that (rummages around junk box a moment)...

Done.

OK, you'll want to upload via anonymous FTP to ftp.cellar.org, in the directory /incoming.

Or, if you prefer, using Internet Explorer, browse ftp://ftp.cellar.org, double click on "incoming", open a Windows Explorer window, browse for the file you want to send, and click and drag the file over to the open browser window.

No cracking the system please! We have the latest FTP daemons so there should be no security problems...

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2001, 09:58 PM   #3
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Cool Re: No size limit

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
OK, you'll want to upload via anonymous FTP to ftp.cellar.org, in the directory /incoming.

Or, if you prefer, using Internet Explorer, browse ftp://ftp.cellar.org, double click on "incoming", open a Windows Explorer window, browse for the file you want to send, and click and drag the file over to the open browser window.
Thanks Tony, that was really easy. But I really do need to figure out how to convert these WAV files to MP3... The transfer window says it's going to take another 1 hour and 33 minutes (and I'm using the college T1 line!)

Quote:

No cracking the system please! We have the latest FTP daemons so there should be no security problems...
I'd never dream of it!!!!

[/b][/quote]
Old 02-03-2001, 01:27 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The conversion utility I use is called "FreeRIP". It's advertising-supported which means that you have to be connected to the net to use it. However, it's FREE! And it uses the LAME encoder, which is supposed to be one of the best. And it's very small, an easy download.

Go to http://www.dowload.com and search for freerip.
Old 02-04-2001, 08:24 AM   #5
dev
Provocateur

Now, Tony,

Tell us how to access the audio files so we can hear Ruth's beautiful music!

Old 02-04-2001, 04:17 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You could go to ftp//ftp.cellar.org, double click on "incoming", right click on the only file found there, save it to your hard drive somewhere, and wait a good couple of hours for it to download.

Or you could wait for MP3s to show up. If I remember tomorrow, I'll convert that one audio file to MP3 and save it for download.
Old 02-04-2001, 04:19 PM   #7
Violine
Cat O'Nine Tails

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
You could go to ftp//ftp.cellar.org, double click on "incoming", right click on the only file found there, save it to your hard drive somewhere, and wait a good couple of hours for it to download.

Or you could wait for MP3s to show up. If I remember tomorrow, I'll convert that one audio file to MP3 and save it for download.
Tony,

I converted that file to mp3 and tried to upload it again but permission was denied....
Old 02-04-2001, 09:58 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Weird. Did you double-click on the "incoming" folder?
Old 02-06-2001, 06:17 AM   #9
dev
Provocateur

You could go to ftp//ftp.cellar.org, double click on "incoming", right click on the only file found there, save it to your hard drive somewhere, and wait a
good couple of hours for it to download.

Okay, I downloaded both the wav and mp3...took about 4 minutes with this cable modem line. Thanks for the info. By the way, you forgot the ":" in the ftp://!!!!!