The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

For fuck's sake.

two fucking years they've had. Two fucking years and they've concluded this is complicated.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #32
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
and they've concluded this is complicated.
'Nobody knew health care could be so complicated'
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #33
DanaC

lol

Owww.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #34
DanaC

We seem to be in a race for which of our nations is going to face total constitutional crisis first.

Right now i think we are in the lead
Old 12-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #35
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"Brexit is already in trouble."

Of course it is. The Powers that Be didn't want it, don't want it, will complexify it and drag it out right up to the exit date, and what Britain will be stuck with is a faux exit (where the Brits lose power in the EU but remain bound up in obligations to the EU).

Blame The Powers that Be, not the principle.

#

"No one has yet posted one fact that justifies Brexit."

Principles (like individual and national sovereignty) don't count, I guess.

#

"we'd have been better off going for a clean break from the start and planning for that."

Yes. 40 years of interconnection was never gonna be done away with easily or painlessly, but it coulda been cleanly (still could, but probably won't).

#

"They had two years to come up with a plan - and they fucked it up"

Yep, cuz -- again -- 'The Powers that Be didn't want it, don't want it, will complexify it and drag it out right up to the exit date'. They fucked it up, are fucking it up, on purpose.

#

''Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.'

It's not. Another example of 'leaders' complexifyin' shit to get what they want (and to hell with what you want [or need]).
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #36
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If the United Kingdom could sing to the European Union, the song might go something like this:

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 AM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Name:  brexit.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.1 KB

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #38
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
London has always had that vibrancy and probably always will. It's been a world city pretty much since world cities became a thing.
Brexit is about making those hundreds of thousand or million EU citizens into foreigner - who must get visas or leave. London, that is so vibrant because it is compopolitian, is one reason why the midland extremists voted for Brexit. They see want makes London so vibrant as people stealing their jobs. Hate always works on the lesser informed.

Many Americans are just a brainwash by similar right wing wacko extremisms. For example, they also do not understand that 50% of America's Fortune 500 were created by immigrants. That 40% of all new businesses are created by this tiny minority - immigrants. And that an overwhelming majority of American Nobel prized came from immigrants - many who had almost no education when they got here.

Brexit includes a hate for Schengen. But that is why London is so vibrant. And is why so many Brits, manipulated by hate and soundbytes, hate Brexit.

Every foreigner I know who work in Britain will be leaving. London will be less vibrant.

I assumed the mass exodus would be to Frankfurt. And am surprised at the so many cities that everyone must move to - because the least educated believe lies from Boris Johnson.

At this point, every UK citizen with minimal knowledge now knows that Johnson, et al had no plan. They only understood more political power (only personal gain) by doing what Trump also does.

Schengen was not necessary for London to be vibrant before EU. And EU with Schengen and Britain excluded will mean a significant loss of what once make London so vibrant. Britian is no longer a good location for any European business office or factory.

I am shocked that Dana C does not see what is clearly obvious. No Schengen means London will no longer be the cosmopolitan town it used to be. The exodus will take about 10 years.

Even Trump refuses to do any trade deal with Britain. How much worse will it get?

Last edited by tw; 12-11-2018 at 08:44 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #39
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Again, London (nor any of the nations that make up the UK) are or ever have been part of Schengen.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #40
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Tw, the UK had opted out of Schengen.

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #41
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
Again, London (nor any of the nations that make up the UK) are or ever have been part of Schengen.
From that citation:
Quote:
The UK formally requested to participate in certain provisions of the Schengen acquis
At many external border crossing points are special lanes for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens since all these (including British citizens covered by Schengen) require less documentation. That will change when Brexit completely removes Britain from Schengen.

Once Britain withdraws from Schengen (Sexobon again fails to read his own ciations), then so many EU citizens, who make a British economy so vibrant, must leave London or constantly renew visas. And British citizens must apply in advance for travel documents to the rest of Europe.

Business in Europe will remain easy and flexible. Britain must withdraw from all Schengen options putting more restrictions on what was once a vibrant economy.

Britain is in Schengen. But the British had some border controls (ie to protect Britain from rabies). Visas were not required - making travel and conducting business easy. All that gets complicated and restrictive once Brexit happens. British citizens will no longer be trusted in the EU. EU citizen must beg permission (get visas) to work in London.

More reasons why Brexit obviously will only harm the British economy.

Rhianne - Britain was part of Schengen - that permitted productive economic activity with the EU. Britain only opted out of a few aspects of Schengen - for security reasons. Brexit means Britain must withdraw from Schengen (because Britain was in Schengen) - causing economic harm.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #42
tw

Sexobon, the UK was part of and must withdraw from Schengen.

If not part of Schengen, then why will all Schengen rules, that make British travel easy in the EU, now be removed? Because Britain was part of (but did not fully implement) Schengen. Sexobon only read a soundbyte looking for an excuse to attack. He again failed to learn facts.

Brexit means Britain must withdraw from Schengen - which creates problems for the Ireland / Northern Ireland border. A border that was open due Britain being part of Schengen.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #43
tw

The incompetent Prime Minister May is fighting for her job - because Brexit is a disaster created only to empower extremists (ie Boris Johnson). There was no plan. Brexit can only happen with serious damage to the British economy. That was obvious two years ago.

Even the most economically naive in Britain are finally learning that Brexit people were lying. They had no plan. They really did not think it would happen. They must now deny (more lies) the job losses and financial punishment that must happen.

May's job is on the line. Brexit was so dumb that it could not be negotiated in two years. British citizens deserve a hard Brexit. The exodus will begin next month.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #44
Rhianne
Nearly done.

I don't necessarily disagree with your views and I certainly don't intend to continue with my pedantry but I think you might be mixing up Schengen with the relevant aspects of Maastricht (The Maastricht Treaty or Treaty of Maastricht or whatever they called it) from the early 1990s.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

and...
Attached Images