The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #1816
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Eddie Money has died. He was 70, and his fish was esophageal cancer.

Quote:
Rosanna's daddy had a car she loved to drive
Stole the keys one night and took me for a ride
Turned up the music just as loud as it could go
Blew out the speakers in her daddy's radio

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #1817
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Fish has more lettters than COD
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #1818
monster
I hear them call the tide

oh don't carp on about it
Old 09-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #1819
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Mahi mahi, look at you, straightening the hook...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:56 AM   #1820
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Sadly this guy isn't/wasn't famous.

But he should have been.

Alfred C. Haynes was an airline pilot that crash-landed a DC-10 in Sioux City, Iowa with almost no controls (no hydraulics) after a catastrophic rear engine failure. 111 people died, but more importantly, thanks to Mr. Haynes and the crew, 185 survived.

You may remember the video of the crash with plane cartwheeling into the picture way short of the runway.

Mr. Haynes was 87 years old.

A couple of extracts from his obituary in this morning's Daily Telegraph.

Quote:
Alfred Haynes, pilot who saved 184 lives following a mid-air explosion – obituary

Captain Alfred C Haynes, who has died aged 87, was hailed a hero in 1989 when, with the help of his crew, he managed to land his stricken United Airlines DC-10 aircraft at Sioux City Airport in Iowa despite having no conventional control over it; 184 of the 296 people on board survived, and in simulated tests afterwards not one of 57 pilots could replicate what Haynes had accomplished.

On the afternoon of July 19 1989, UA Flight 232 took off from Denver, Colorado, bound for Chicago. About an hour into the journey, while the aircraft was at 37,000 feet over Iowa, the foot-wide titanium fan disk in the tail engine exploded. Shards from the debris penetrated all three of the aircraft’s hydraulic systems in the area, causing all of the fluid in them to leak out in a matter of seconds.

Haynes was a highly experienced pilot, and when he became aware that there was a problem of some kind, he shut off fuel to the rear-mounted engine, knowing that the DC-10 could fly on its other two. Yet his first officer, William Records, told him that whatever he did with the control column, it did not manoeuvre the tail or the wings. The loss of hydraulics meant that the aircraft was almost impossible to fly, let alone to land.

They and flight engineer Dudley Dvorak were joined in the cockpit by Dennis Fitch, a United training captain who was one of the passengers. With his aid, and with Fitch kneeling between the seats, they switched the thrust between one engine and the other to provide a crude form of control.

Nevertheless, all they could achieve was to straighten out the jet as it made a series of right-handed spirals and descended at about 1,000ft per minute for the next half an hour. Haynes said later that he was too busy to be scared.

He was keenly aware that about 50 of the passengers were children – the airline had been running a cheap-fares promotion – some seated on their parents’ laps. Retaining his composure, he told all aboard to brace for a bump harder than any they had experienced as the aircraft came in to make an emergency landing at Sioux City. When the controllers said they could land on any runway, Haynes, with humour, said: “You want to be particular and make it a runway?”

Fitch said he would buy him a beer afterwards. Haynes replied: “I don’t drink, but I’ll sure as s––t have one.” Flight 232 made its approach at 220 knots, instead of the usual 140, dropping through the air at a rate six times faster than normal. The tip of its right wing struck the ground first, gouging a hole 18 inches deep in the concrete. The jet pivoted, broke up and burst into flames as it ploughed into a cornfield. Haynes was knocked out, but when the shattered remains of the cockpit were found half an hour later, all four men in it were alive.
Quote:
Haynes gave much of the credit to others, including those in the control tower and the emergency workers, and to luck – having good weather, for instance. For a time, he said, he had felt guilt, wondering why 111 people had died. Then he had started to wonder how it was that 185 had survived. It was the passengers’ behaviour during the flight and its aftermath that stayed with him: “I will stand in awe of them for the rest of my life.”
Quote:
Haynes resumed flying three months after the crash and retired in 1991. Several survivors of Flight 232 accompanied him on his last flight.
Thereafter he became a public speaker, extolling the value of teamwork and speaking about post-traumatic stress disorder. He raised more than $1 million in donations for the accident’s survivors.

In 1996 he suffered more tragedy when his elder son, Tony, was killed in a motorcycle accident. The following year, his wife of four decades, Darlene, died of a rare infection. Haynes said that what he had learned was that there were no healing explanations for such events; they simply had to be accepted.

Several years later, his daughter Laurie needed a bone-marrow transplant, but her insurance did not cover the operation. An appeal by Haynes raised some $550,000, much of it coming from the crash survivors and enabling the procedure to be carried out successfully.

He is survived by his daughter and by his younger son.
BiB I doubt very much that I would have gone anywhere near an aircraft ever again after an experience like that.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #1821
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ric Ocasek.

When I was in college there were always classic rock people who didn't like the Cars. I understood it, because they were pretty keyboard-oriented, despite having the great Elliot Easton come up with amazing guitar solos for every bridge.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #1822
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He and The Cars provided a lot of the soundtrack to my teenage years.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #1823
Griff
still says videotape

This is a bummer. I didn't realize how much producing he was doing. My office mate met him once when he was trying to resuscitate Heart.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #1824
monster
I hear them call the tide

Who's gonna drive us home now?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #1825
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
how much producing he was doing
Like Romeo Void's 1981 new wave single "Never Say Never", while trying to set up an art studio in Boston like Andy Warhol's Factory. Ocasek was more complicated than his songs.

Also, the entire Weezer catalogue. Well, OK.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #1826
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've always thought he looked kinda like an alien.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #1827
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Aw shit, man.

Capt. Spaulding died.

Name:  cs.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  44.1 KB

Sid Haig was 80 years old. Death came by way of a lung infection suffered after he vomited in his sleep, while recovering from a fall.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:12 PM   #1828
glatt

And Robert Hunter checks out. That ripple in still water.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:09 AM   #1829
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

RIP Tonchi,

Tonchi passed away on August 18th. She was well known to fans of the Mexican-American actress and singer Thalia, having been manager of international relations for the celebrity's world wide fan club and moderator; then, administrator of her website. Tonchi, a native English speaker, was adept in Spanish and coordinated activities for satellite fan clubs in the Americas, Europe and Asia.

A few of Tonchi's contacts were even introduced to the Cellar. A gentleman in Hungary, a lady in the Philippines (whom slang met), and myself (thank you Anne). Tonchi was a tough cookie and fiercely loyal to her charge; but, we had some things in common. She was a military brat who had lived on one of the military installations where I served. Also, she sent me Alien vs Predator and steampunk comic strips. I sent her mother (predeceased) a wine magazine subscription to bone up before visiting Tonchi's sister in Switzerland.

We drifted apart after she stopped posting here (too busy IRL I presume). I heard from her only a few times afterwards and am just now hearing about her death. Tonchi's accolades will be more in the Spanish speaking world. The celebrity Thalia had this to say (translation follows):

Name:  Thalia says farewell to Tonchi..jpg
Views: 347
Size:  140.1 KB

Quote:
The ThalyFamilia lost
a woman very dear
to me and all of us,
Tonchi is no longer in
this plane, now she is
finally free from so much
struggle. Thank you for so much,
Thank you for being by my
side for so many years dear
friend. God bless you and
your family. Here we will
remember you with all
your passion and unconditional
love
If so inclined, do a search for simply Thalia Tonchi and numerous articles will result about Tonchi's passing (in Spanish of course, use the Translate this page feature).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #1830
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

RIP, Ginger Baker.

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food