The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Bullshit.
Whatever - GFYALMA.

I know this from experience. Knives - especially kitchen knives were not designed to cut metal of any kind.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

I know this from experience: My kitchen knives cut almost everything and survived just fine. Where they failed, they did not suffer. I also never paid more than $20 for a knife.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

sigh ...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

As a knife professional, I wouldn't use a knife for this one -- though taking a shot at the wire with a cleaver would get through the wire. And you'd want to take the nick out of the cleaver edge afterwards. Hatchet, same story.

The Cutco #77 Super Shears will do the job with aplomb. They're also expensive, so use 'em around the house too.

Diagonal wire cutters will do 'er, and are much less expensive, as noted above. The wirecutter "extra" in the throat of slipjoint pliers may get the job done, but cheap loose-fitting pliers may not shear very well. Linesmen's pliers have a wire cutter to them also, and will cut it well.

Monst, if those are the kind of KSO's you buy... eventually you'll come to the good stuff. You do not yet know what a hundred-dollar knife can do for you. I've had a few order cancellations -- but returns after use? Can't remember a one.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #20
monster

My knives rock, I have no complaints, they cut everything I ask them to with minimum effort -including non-food items. Why would I pay more? You guys are just knife snobs. IKEA has the best kitchen knives. Sainsbury's knives are great too, but no Sainsbury's in US.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
monster

...and why would I "eventualy come to the good stuff"? My 20yo Sainsbury's knives still do the biz. And we sharpen them ourselves (beest does this). Will you try to sell me a vacuum cleaner next? or a set of encyclopedias?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Knives - especially kitchen knives were not designed to cut metal of any kind.
Humans do a lot of things they weren't designed for either. Sorta makes life worth living. is there a list of things kitchen knives are designed to cut? Say I need to cut a thread, they weren't designed for that -willI fuck them up?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
SamIam

Well, you probably will dent the edge of your knife if you try to use it to cut wire. I know because I have pulled the same trick. Really, the floral shears are much easier, and you can use them for lots of other things, too. I get a charge out of living on the edge myself, but hacking at one of those floral stems with a kitchen knife is not my idea of a good time.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #24
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah, I've gotta say, there's no way I'd try using a kitchen knife to cut through wire. We have some expensive and some cheap knives, but all of them would end up with a divit in the cutting edge if I tried to use it to cut wire. Same for scissors, although I have an old pair that I'd probably try to use for this job if I were in Clouds shoes. I'd more likely go out to the shed and get the wire cutters though.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #25
glatt

I couldn't handle living anywhere, even an apartment, without a basic toolbox that contained wire cutters. Buy a few tools Cloud.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #26
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I was in a hurry for spring a couple of weeks ago and bought this.

There was only one least fake looking stem to buy, so the vase was much to large for the stem.

I just bent the end. When the end it bent it pushes on the inside of the vase giving it more stability, or use wire cutters.
Attached Images

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #27
infinite monkey

As a retired knife professional, I must say...nothing about knives. The simplest solution, while not so lamentable, is probably best.

I'm sure there's a service that goes door to door to cut flower stems for people, there's a great need. It'll cost you, but better left to the professionals.

As glatt said, I couldn't live without my tool box.

Here's mine, with the indented then bendied til breakied ends. Not a great pic but you see I put some of the glass rocks, I used blue and white, as those match the vase and the flowers, (available at craft or fish stores) in the bottom...stabilizes the flowers so they stay the way you want AND it looks really good when it's in the middle of the dining room table with the sun shining through the vase and glass rocks.

ymmv
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #28
skysidhe

The glass rock detail is nice. I have some but they are just plain polished rocks. I keep thinking I am going to use them in a terrarium.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #29
infinite monkey

Thanks! I need to get a pic with the sun shining on the vase and the vase sitting on my grandma's old clawfoot table. It's lovely. (Table looks like pic below)
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #30
skysidhe

nice parlor table and I bet that vase is a beauty in the sun.

Now you need that blue glass lamp to go with your theme. The one I keep seeing on the Target commercial w/ Sabrin Soto.

I have nothing blue, but it is a beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxuSewn1iak

Tags
boring