The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

PETA Recap/Summary

I'm offering this here as a service to Cellar members who were engaged in some semi-vigorous debate with a new member who claimed to be an employee of PETA. All statements are paraphrased and summarized to save time and space:

Garnet - Eating meat is bad, don't do it.
Most Everyone Else - We like meat, leave us alone.

That pretty well ought to get us back up to speed on this topic.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
glatt

I missed the debate. Oh well. Let me create a new category for me.

I love meat, and wish I could eat it, but I don't think (beef anyway) is all that safe right now, at least in the US.

I've stopped eating beef since the mad cow thing, and for purely selfish reasons, I'd like all of you to stop too. A huge boycott of beef will pressure them to make it safe again. Once it's safe, I'll fire up the grill. [homer] Mmmm hamburgers on the grill. [/homer]
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I've stopped eating beef since the mad cow thing, and for purely selfish reasons, I'd like all of you to stop too. A huge boycott of beef will pressure them to make it safe again. Once it's safe, I'll fire up the grill. [homer] Mmmm hamburgers on the grill. [/homer]
I totally agree with you glatt, I don't think beef is safe to eat. Mad cow aside, the antobiotics, growth hormones, grain feeding, and need for irradiation because the meat has been covered in feces turns me right off. Hamburger gives me nightmares.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Damn I missed the drama.

As the cows on the Chick-fil-A billboard say:

"Eat mor chikin"

http://www.chickfila.com/home.asp

Personally, if I had my way, I'd eat turkey everyday. Hell, I might just pick up some turkey today...enough to chow down on it for the rest of the week.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's not a damn thing you can buy and eat that is risk free. You're better off doing the preparation yourself but that's not a complete safety guarantee.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

You know, I'm always looking for new ways to horrify my neighbors. Slaughtering my own beef on the front lawn ought to do nicely.

Thanks, Bruce!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
I totally agree with you glatt, I don't think beef is safe to eat. Mad cow aside, the antobiotics, growth hormones, grain feeding, and need for irradiation because the meat has been covered in feces turns me right off. Hamburger gives me nightmares.
I'm with you, jinx, on the antibiotics. Antibiotics should be for people only. We should stop this crazy bacterial strain improvement program that the meat industry is performing through overuse of antibiotics. By the time I'm an old man, I doubt any antibiotics will work on the monster germs we'll have by then.

Growth hormones don't really concern me that much, but mostly because I'm ignorant about the effects of eating growth hormone enhanced meat. How is it different than regular meat?

How is grain feeding bad? Never heard that one, but there's a lot I don't know.

The irradiation doesn't bug me much at all. There's some talk that it may destroy some of the nutrients in the meat, but so does cooking. Shit in the meat is a gross thought, but if you cook it enough, it isn't a health concern.

Mad cow disease freaks me right out, because you can't kill it by cooking it. Not even when you burn it to a crisp.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
I'm offering this here as a service to Cellar members who were engaged in some semi-vigorous debate with a new member who claimed to be an employee of PETA. All statements are paraphrased and summarized to save time and space:

Most Everyone Else - We like meat, leave us alone.
Patrick,

I was disappointed by your post. Given the posts above, I wouldn't exactly say "most everyone else" is 100% OK with meat consumption. If you have doubts as to my "claim" of employment, I'd be happy to send you my name, work phone number and email address at work in a private message. Thanks.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
You know, I'm always looking for new ways to horrify my neighbors. Slaughtering my own beef on the front lawn ought to do nicely.

Thanks, Bruce!
That's not enough, you have to raise it too. Get your kids involved in 4-H.
The alternative would be find a small local farm that eschews corporate practices. Then sneak out at night and russle one.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #10
glatt

Garnet,
My reasons for being concerned about beef are purely selfish ones. I don't want to get sick. I couldn't care less about the ethics of killing a cow and eating it.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh look, a new member! Welcome to the Cellar garnet.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #12
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Oh look, a new member! Welcome to the Cellar garnet.
Hey Bruce,

In case you didn't know, the system crashed last night. According to the administrator, all accounts created in the last week had to be re-set. Thanks for the friendly greeting--you have a WONDERFUL day, OK?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #13
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Garnet,
My reasons for being concerned about beef are purely selfish ones. I don't want to get sick. I couldn't care less about the ethics of killing a cow and eating it.
All I said is that not everyone is 100% OK about eating meat. Did I mention any reasons why? No. Please go back and read my post.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Slang - Whatever........got any good pictures to add to the "dog pics" thread in the quality images forum?? That's the real question.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #15
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
Slang - Whatever........got any good pictures to add to the "dog pics" thread in the quality images forum?? That's the real question.
No idea what you're talking about...