The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #931
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Today, I am mildly amused by the fact that (short of a 911 emergency*) there is no way to contact law enforcement officials in the area in which I live. Evidently, there is no crime on Thanksgiving day in this county, so our law enforcement agents have all taken the day off and left the telephone voice-bot in charge.

Well, yes, it is Thanksgiving, and I think it's outstanding that these diligent public servants are able to spend time with their loved ones, although I question the wisdom of leaving the phone in charge of the entire county on any given day.

Be that as it may, I find that I am unable to notify the proper authorities that I have found some very interesting stolen property...

I may have mentioned at some point that, among other things, I'm a professional pet sitter. This morning, while walking a client's dog along the river (which has been raging due to extensive rain over the last week), I noticed a large box-like thing hung up on the rocks and assorted tree limbs that had collected along the bank at a turn in the river.

I couldn't get very close as there was a big pile of unstable flotsam and jetsam between me and the box, but after a few minutes of observation, I discerned that this box was in fact a small business safe or large home safe that had been pried upon in various places at the bottom edge and along the door.

!!!

* Note: I did NOT try 911 out of frustration, although surely they've taken the day off, too.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #932
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'd call 911. Surely someone is working the phone there, and it would give them something interesting to do instead of sitting there being lonely.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #933
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This plumbing van we just passed is amusing me...
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #934
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

That's awesome.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #935
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm stealing that.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #936
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm stealing that.
Why?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #937
monster
I hear them call the tide

Love it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #938
SamIam

Monster?!? YAY!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #939
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
Why?
For fun & profit.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #940
infinite monkey

My sense of direction, or lack thereof, can be very frustrating. I've been in tears when I've been out of state and I can't figure out how to get where I need to be, and I'm driving and driving and driving.

Well, I received a parking lot promotion. They move you up to better parking spaces as they become available. I would be in faculty/staff only garage parking. However, I couldn't figure out how to get to it...where is the entrance? To make it worse, they're closing my exit from the interstate to get into the city and that is going to totally mess me up too.

It's funny because my cow orkers are laughing and everyone is telling me what i need to do: go north, go to fifth street, you need to turn where that one thingy is, you were RIGHT THERE and I saw you turn around...

I'm thinking of passing on the covered parking because I like my lot and its location but I know this winter I would be very very very happy to not clear snow off my car.

I'm not just bad with directions. There seriously needs to be a new entry in the medical journals because I am, without a doubt, completely direction dyslexic.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #941
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

That plumbing van is hilarious.

I'd hire them based on that alone.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #942
Lamplighter

Quote:
My sense of direction, or lack thereof, can be very frustrating.
I've been in tears when I've been out of state and I can't figure out
how to get where I need to be, and I'm driving and driving and driving.
My wife had that problem too when she moved from her lifelong home
in western Montana to Dallas,TX... no mountains to help keep her sense of direction.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #943
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I can get lost on a flight of steps. I have no internal map. I can manage moving station to station if where I need is near a station, but if I have to actually venture out I am lost. Walking round London with Sundae, I was lost once we'd changed direction a couple of times. I could have been in any part the city for all I could tell.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #944
infinite monkey

I love that: get lost on a flight of steps.

That's how I am driving around this city...with all the one ways and stuff I get completely turned around and then I have NO idea where I'm going, which way I'm pointing, if it's two blocks that way or 9 blocks this way. Ugh...
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #945
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The thing is, on foot, I can always eventually find where I need to be. But sometimes I may have gone a very circuitous route :p And I sometimes need someone to tell me the overall direction I need to be heading in.

That's all I want from them. Which general direction. Start throwing streetnames and left turns and T-junctions at me and I've already stopped listening. Because I'm stuck four instructions back from where they're at and have already forgotten instructions one and two.

General direction, one or two landmarks and get me a bit nearer so I can ask someone else for the next bit of direction. Absolutely no point my even attempting to follow full instructions in one go.

But I can't imagine trying to figure my way in a car. Particularly in cities with one way systems and ringroads and stuff.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote