Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #91
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
"The truth is that everybody has to pay more taxes, not just the rich."
Howard Dean

"Beating up on "the rich" is a politically-convenient ploy for the moment, but the math doesn't lie:
Taxing only the upper echelons of income earners and small businesses would reap an insufficient pittance in the final analysis.
The government's unsustainable spending will soon require many more people to pay their "fair share" to the federal government.
Some voters who are currently on board with the Left's soak-the-rich crusade will one day (perhaps soon) discover that they themselves are the new "rich," with of their livelihood and income suddenly in Big Government's crosshairs. Dean is at least doing everyone a favor by serving notice early. He is very enthusiastic about middle class tax increases and deep defense cuts, but very protective of all other spending."

I agree with Senator Dean.

But thank dog, someone on the board besides Adak has at last come to defense of the poor, down trodden upper 2% in wealth. You go, Classic!

If the math doesn't lie, then give us the god damn numbers, and at the very least, use ones put out by the CBO - not ones drawn out of the thin air by some outfit like the Heriage Foundation. Give us ANYTHING besides an uncollaborated statement.

The average median household income was around $51000 in 2011, a mere $200,000 below the income level targeted for a return to the Clinton era rates. Today Donald Trump and tomorrow Ibby.

Please define what you would consider a "fair share" of taxes, too. What? 5% for Trump and 0% for everyone else, or better yet, 0% on Trump and 5% on single Moms earning less than $10,000/year? Whatever because the US doesn't really need a government, anyway, since Goldman Sachs is already doing the job?

Also, since you seem comfortable using Tea Party terminology, could you please define what you mean by "small businesses" - especially the SMALL part? Seriously, I really want know.

Another question I have is why are you upset by the thought of cuts to defense spending? The war in Afghanistan is winding down. Mission accomplished in Iraq. (ahem) Maybe you'd like the US to declare war on the remaining two members of the "axis of evil": Iraq and North Korea? Why not declare war on Canada as well? We could get all that oil, and I bet the Canadian army would be a push over.

What are you a defense contractor or something?

Now, since we are at war on the Canadian and Iranian and N. Korean fronts and Goldman Sachs has decided to outsource the Army to Rwanda, what do you suggest happen to the earned benefits that the American people paid all those taxes for out of their hard earned paychecks? That amount comes to quite a bit and every last one of us who worked for even a day or two paid into those funds.

Oh, I forgot. Those are now called "entitlements" and that money was given to Donald Trump, so he wouldn't have to pay an extra .001% toward the cost of our Rwandan mercenaries.

Good thing we no longer have to worry about the government throwing money at such fripperies as education, infrastructure, and disaster relief for worthless states on the stupid East Coast like New Jersey.

And it's a relief to be rid of all those old people and the disabled ones, too - bunch of worthless parasites. Glad we took away their housing and medicaid and put 'em out on the street to die.

We'll show YOU, Howard Dean!

Last edited by SamIam; 12-08-2012 at 02:25 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #92
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Small business?
Hows this, firms that have fewer than 50 employees. 96% of all firms in the United States or 5.8 million out of 6 million total firms. These 5.8 million firms employ nearly 34 million workers.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #93
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Small business?
Hows this, firms that have fewer than 50 employees. 96% of all firms in the United States or 5.8 million out of 6 million total firms. These 5.8 million firms employ nearly 34 million workers.
Ok, but I still need a more precise definition. I'm wondering about profit margins. Could you give me the link where you found this information?

Like, I can understand that a firm with 50 or so employees might rake in a profit of a million dollars or more. Financially speaking, how much in profits defines a small business as opposed to a large one?

And what's the percentage of small businesses that have 10 employees or less? The percentage of the ones run by a sole proprieter? Do small businesses on this end of the spectrum typically show a profit of a million dollars or more?

The Republicans seem to want us to believe that Joe of Joe's plumbing is going to be taxed at the same rate as Donald Trump. Not so.

For example, I read that the typical Mom and Pop eatery brings in an average income of $36,000/year. Was that a lie? If so, what is the real average? If a business earns enough money to fall under the Dem's proposed repeal of Bush era tax cuts, how can it be defined as "small"?

This is what's making me dig in my heels:

Quote:
Another smokescreen is the "small business" meme, since standing up for Mom's and Pop's corner store is politically more attractive than to be seen shilling for a megacorporation. Raising taxes on the wealthy will kill small business' ability to hire; that is the GOP dirge every time Bernie Sanders or some Democrat offers an amendment to increase taxes on incomes above $1 million. But the number of small businesses that have a net annual income over a million dollars is de minimis, if not by definition impossible (as they would no longer be small businesses). And as data from the Center for Economic and Policy Research have shown, small businesses account for only 7.2 percent of total US employment, a significantly smaller share of total employment than in most Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries.
However, this comes from a populist site, and if I'm going to request that people use non partisen sources, then I have to do the same. I've read similiar things from other sources, but are these statements lies? There must be somewhere that gives the sums involved where the Dems want to repeal the Bush era tax cuts on businesses worth X amount. There must be somewhere that gives the Republican monetary definition of a "small business," but I can't find that either.

I'm so sick of smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by SamIam; 12-08-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #94
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

A hedge fund manager and their secretary are a "small business" if measured by employee count. It makes more sense to measure a small business by its revenue, rather than its employee count, especially when discussing the effect of income tax rates on them.

And if a business not only makes $250,000 in taxable income, but makes enough over $250,000 that a few percent increased rate on that money is a significant amount, that is no small business.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #95
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ok, but I still need a more precise definition. I'm wondering about profit margins. Could you give me the link where you found this information?
I found that in a pdf on a government site a few days ago. I can't give you a link, as I only could quote it because I put in in an email I sent at the time.

Another thing I found there;
Quote:
Exchanges will offer a choice of plans that meet certain benefits and cost standards. Starting in 2014, members of Congress will be getting their health care insurance through Exchanges, and you will be able to buy your insurance through Exchanges, too.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #96
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sam - You are arguing with Howard Dean, NOT ME!
He said all those things. you may now take your shitting fucking attack attitude and stick up your ass. I neither attacked nor defended anyone. Typical bullshit not worthy of a response.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #97
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Accusing us of wanting the tax cuts for the rich to be rescinded to fix the budget problems is wrong. It's because the rich are paying a lower rate than the rest of us which isn't fair. We're well aware that isn't the final solution to our fiscal bloat.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #98
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Sam - You are arguing with Howard Dean, NOT ME!
He said all those things. you may now take your shitting fucking attack attitude and stick up your ass. I neither attacked nor defended anyone. Typical bullshit not worthy of a response.
Try reading your PM's.

If you did already check them and then went ahead and posted the above anyway, oh well. At least you'll be pleased to know that I'm leaving the Cellar for an indefinate period of time.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #99
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sam, Got it and responded.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #100
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Somehow this sounds familiar...

Boehner offers millionaire tax hike, Fox News confirms
Quote:
WASHINGTON – House Speaker John Boehner has proposed
raising tax rates on people making more than $1 million,
a source familiar with the talks told Fox News,
in a development that could signal at least some movement
toward a deal with President Obama.<snip>

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2FE7TozH7
Oh yeah, now I remember

Quote:
A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum.
She replies affirmatively.
He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee.
The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am?
He: We’ve already established that.
Now we’re just haggling over the price.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #101
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

AP is reporting that the house of Representatives will miss the deadline to vote on any deal with respect to the fiscal cliff.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #102
Ibby
erika

*checks watch*
well, yeah...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #103
glatt

They suck. Seriously. The fuckers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #104
Ibby
erika

There is only one immediate downside to going off the cliff: unemployment insurance checks may stop going out between now and a deal. Every other change can be retroactively fixed.

Now, the Democrats have even more leverage. Polls show that the nation blames the republicans for obstructing, not the democrats. We'll see a deal in the next five days, i promise you - and it'll be a deal that, while not ideal, will reflect an actual compromise, not the stupid move-the-goalposts-further-and-further-right compromise we've seen so much of lately.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #105
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I am happy to quote go over the cliff quote. Too many reasons to list via phone but it will all be alright.