The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hey Grav, have you ever read any of Stephen Leather's books?

I think you might enjoy his Spider Shepherd series. Shepherd is ex-SAS, injured in Afghanistan before joining the police and becoming a member of an elite undercover unit.

http://stephenleatherbooks.com/dan-shepherd/

First one is called Hard Landing

Quote:
The first book in the bestselling Dan 'Spider' Shepherd series.

Dan 'Spider' Shepherd is used to putting his life on the line. Working for an elite undercover squad he has lied, cheated and conned in order to bring Britain's most wanted criminals to justice.

But when a powerful drugs baron starts to kill off witnesses to his crimes, Shepherd is given his most dangerous assignment yet. He has to go undercover in a top security prison, a world where one wrong move will mean certain death.

As Shepherd gambles everything to move in on his quarry, he soon realises that the man he is hunting is even more dangerous than the police realise. And that he is capable of striking outside the prison walls and hitting Shepherd where it hurts most
They're very consumable books, but with a nice edge to them.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Some autism book by this chick named .... as soon as I clear the shelf space.

Last edited by glatt; 03-29-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
glatt

I started reading it briefly at work and forgot to put it in my bag to bring home with me tonight. Grr. It's good so far. Clodfobble's brain works on paper too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

Hey glatt, you wanna take her name out of that post?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #20
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Just finished "Sniper Elite" by Scott McEwen & Thomas Koloniar...
Actually, that should read "Sniper Elite: One Way Trip".

Thanks for the suggestion, Dana. I'll try to give him a look.

I don't ordinarily read military-themed novels. Popdigr picked that one up for me on the supercheap. Same with the Tom Clancy book "Threat Vector", which was a decent read, as those types of books go.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 AM   #21
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Reading some book by some chick from Texas.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #22
DanaC

I've been re-engaging with military history - thoroughly enjoying The Armies of Wellington, by Philip Hawthornthwaite. I dipped in and out of it during my studies, but now I'm reading it cover to cover. He has a really nice engaging style of writing, and it's so well researched. I particularly like the chapters on the rank and file.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just finished Once upon A river by Bonnie Jo Campbell. A Michigan author from Kalamazoo. I got in to her when I read Q Road -a random shelf pick at the library. It's not action/adventure. But it was pretty hard to put down because it flows..... and the lifestyle to norm but so alien to a chick from Manchester
Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read a book years ago that was a collection stories of women living on the Canadian frontier of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Occasional big happenings but mostly the trials and tribulations of everyday life on the prairie. Adding children, changing seasons, things we don't think about or didn't realize they faced. As it's been over 30 years and I bought it at a stop in Saskatchewan, I have no idea what the title was.

Ooh, I think I've found it. The Pioneer Years, 1895 1914: Memories Of Settlers Who Opened The West by Barry Broadfoot

Also there's a pdf online by Broadfoot.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
elvis costello's autobiography
Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Hamilton - Chernow

Need to get on Clod's book as well but for some reason its still at work. I guess I'm scared it'll be a bit of a bus-man's holiday.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Next up is Shelby Foote's three volume monster, "The Civil War".
I can't seem to actually start this one. I'm afraid I won't like it, and then it'll just become a chore. A 2400 page chore.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #28
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a book right now that I really, really want to quit, but it is just so hard for me to quit a book. I keep telling myself there's only a few hours left, but it keeps getting worse and worse...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #29
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a book right now that I really, really want to quit, but it is just so hard for me to quit a book. I keep telling myself there's only a few hours left, but it keeps getting worse and worse...
do it! It's so freeing and gets easier every time. this is a lesson I have only learned in the last ten years.

I'm reading Send In the Idiots -stories from the other side of Autism by Kamran Nazeer. I've had it out of the library for nearly a year -since before Fobble's book was published, but I think that gave me the kick up the ass to actually read it. It's kind of interesting. I'll finish it. but I really really really need something good and absorbing and completely mindless to read next
Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #30
DanaC

I've come to the end of the Hellequin Chronicles! Or, to the end of what's been published. There's another due out in September.

You know when a book, or series of books gets you so hooked, you're basically wandering around with it permanently in your brain? Yep. that's how this was. Soooo good.

Best urban fantasy I've read so far - well, top three anyway because the Daniel Faust books and the Thrice Cursed Mage books were also outstanding. I think though, Hellequin might just pip them to the post though as the most entertaining and consistently awesome.

If you like urban fantasy check them out. They're a little bit different from most. The central character is wonderful and the stories take in all sorts of mythology and history from Arthur and Merlin to Japanese spirits, the Wars of the Roses to the Hundred Years War and Nazi Germany. Fucking outstanding.