The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Remembering Memorial Day

Everyday I go about my business without really appreciating the service men and women who are serving.

I saw the Sunday morning show yesterday and there they spotlighted a couple men who had been maimed because of roadside bombs in Iraq. The plasitic surgery was donated. I find it horrible that our country won't even pay to put these people back in a state of wholeness again or give them any compensation for losing their face.

anyway, I'm remembering them all today before I forget and go back to my kooshy life.

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Remember.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In honor of military exploits, Cracked has come up with a list called "The 94 Most Badass Soldiers Who Ever Lived". OK, highly subjective rating here, but all basically true stories which are most impressive.

Now some made me think, 'yeah, in that situation I can see even I might be pissed enough to do that', but more often I thought, 'holy shit, that's just crazy'.

For a small spoiler highlight below:
#3. Star Trek's James Doohan Got Shot Six Times on D-Day
#2. Milunka Savic Pretends to Be a Man, Out-Badasses Them All
#1. The Sniperest Sniper to Ever Snipe
Old 05-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
busterb
NSABFD

Well here's part of a post from Sundays newspaper about the VETS. I suggest that if you care, send a message to all your so call representatives and ask that this be fixed. Hope blooms eteraily.

What would it look like if we gave our service personnel a love they could see? Well, here is what it would not look like:

It would not look like Veterans Affairs facilities across the country requiring sick and injured veterans to wait months to see the doctor, then falsifying records to make it appear they were actually being seen much more quickly. This, of course, is the scandal that has roiled the White House and put Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki on the defensive.

But look past that. A love they could see would also not look like a backlog of disability claims that peaked last year at over 900,000, forcing some veterans to wait a year or more for their benefits. Nor would it look like the 2007 Washington Post report about wounded men recovering in a military hospital with rotting walls, creeping mold and vermin sauntering about.

Point being, this new scandal is not new. Rather, it is but a variation on a sadly recurrent theme: the neglect of our veterans.

We’ve heard many excuses: computer systems that don’t talk to one another, lack of oversight, unrealistic expectations, yadda yadda yadda.

But here’s the thing: These men and women volunteer to go into harm’s way, putting body and mind on the line in defense of their nation’s interests. They don’t make excuses, don’t justify or rationalize. They simply do.
link here. http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/2...-veterans.html
Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

My PCP Dr. asked for an upper and lower GI test for me on 2/4/14. On 5/6/14 the VA called me and said was going to turn over to Hattiesburg GI clinic. Hell that's 3 months. If she thought something was wrong then I wonder WTF is going on now? Is not early detection a life saver? Anyway lady called me from clinic and told me had been waiting on paper work from va. So I go for a pre screen on 6/10/14 and an appointment for test at a later date.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
But here’s the thing: These men and women volunteer to go into harm’s way, putting body and mind on the line in defense of their nation’s interests. They don’t make excuses, don’t justify or rationalize. They simply do.
That's been the standard speech since we were kids, buster, and nobody wouldn't disagree out loud, no matter what they thought, without risk of more than a stern look.

But there are a lot of reasons other than flag waving for joining up. Of course it leaves out draftees. And in my day all the guys that volunteered, especially for the Navy and Air Force, to avoid being drafted for a certain trip to Vietnam. Oh and all the judges who offered a choice of Army or jail. Even my Canadian cousin who joined The US Air Force, put in 22 years, and collects his pension at a bank in MI.

From the 60s up an increasing number of people have been unhappy with the way the politicians have used our military. The information age has flooded us with shit most citizens never knew about how the government works... and doesn't. Many are unhappy when they realize how the politicians have abused our service men & women, but others are more concerned with avoiding spoilers for the Game of Thrones.

The point is, rather than flag waving to gather support for fixing the VA, we'd be better off reminding everyone it's the goddamn law. Signed sealed and supposed to be delivered, by the politicians. Every veteran, no matter which of the thousands of reasons drove him/her to signing up, was promised medical treatment... in writing. That's why people, regardless of their feelings about the politicians and military, should demand this be fixed.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

What's the bottom line on the last VA funding bill that passed the House? I notice my rep, a known asshole in a safe district, voted against it, but was there a good reason?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Obama did what he usually does. When a problem is discovered, he first asks the head man to define this problem and to propose a solution. In GM, Rick Wagoner said there was nothing wrong with GM. He said GM's only problem is due to the economy. So Obama fired an idiot who clearly remained ignorant and in denial.

Apparently Obama let retired General Shinseki do same. For whatever reason, Shinseki's report did not meet the criteria for a realistic solution. So Shinseki offered his resignation. In reality, suspect that Shinseki was asked to submit his resignation due to the report. Resigned so as to not be fired.

Apparently Shinseki and his staff ignored 14 reports that defined outright fraud. Not entirely clear is why that was not obvious. But we do know this. Thanks to Mission Accomplished, we will probably pay something less than $1 trillion due to so much human damage created by a bogus and unjustified Mission Accomplished war. The VA did not have sufficient staff to administer to what Mission Accomplished created. Apparently Shinseki did not have a solution to a massive problem created by Mission Accomplished.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I'm beginning to wonder if I might get better health care in mexico