The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #76
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

*mind your own goddamned business, keep your friggin' hands to yourself

When are our employees gonna stop muckin' around in the affairs of pissant, prehistoric, countries?

The U.S. track record on successful 'interventions' reads like a rap sheet.

Bad enough the employee in chief 'felt' the need to slap syrian wrists, now he and his wanna boot the bad guy out and (help to) install a good (read 'less bad') guy.

Really, somebody has got to put the kibosh on this 'world's policeman' manure.

*the only real justification for U.S. intervention, but that only works if america practices what it preaches, which, of course, it (we) doesn't (don't)
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Syria is Fatty III's whipping boy.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #78
henry quirk

I'd prefer it if we dealt with psycho-chunk directly rather than through proxy-example.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #79
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I disagree with Ben Shapiro on most things.

But the Washington Post is not allowed to do this and still be considered a credible major newspaper.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #80
Flint
Snowflake

Alternate take: He's dipped so far into ethno-nationalism that he can't mention buzzwords like "Western civilization, which was built on the Judeo-Christian heritage" without it coming off as rooted in a desire to drop Islamophic-slanted talking points at every opportunity. That's on him. Don't be a douche and you won't get called a douche.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #81
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I listened to Bill O'Reilly's radio show for a while (it was between other shows I liked), and I still remember his weird emphasis whenever he said "our Judeo-Christian heritage", usually when he meant "the US Government should be able to do explicitly Christian activities, but I don't want to seem anti-Semetic".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #82
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Weirdly enough, I just had an argument this afternoon with my dad about the Washington Post. Not because he reads it, but because he heard someone on Fox Business marveling at the presence of a WaPo OpEd titled, "Fox News Has Been Right All Along." And, of course, my father bought the narrative that this is some sort of new, dramatic capitulation, which they must surely have done with their tail between their legs and which CNN and MSNBC would commit suicide before ever admitting.

As he's ranting, I casually brought up the following page on my laptop: https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/gary-abernathy

That same columnist has been writing for WaPo all along. He's got dozens of variously pro-Trump and pro-conservative articles over the last several years. No one ever fired him, and if they ever censored his content, then he must be writing like a madman given everything that did get through.

I'd use the phrase "fair and balanced," but that's been co-opted for other meanings just as surely as "our Judeo-Christian heritage" has been.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #83
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
"Fox News Has Been Right All Along."
And so they adamantly promoted the lies about Saddam's WMDs. And then never apologized for the 5000 American soldiers uselessly killed because of that lie. They also could not bother to discuss realities such as Phase Four planning - that was not done. As a result we are still stuck wasting treasures in both countries ... because Phase Four planning was never done. "Mission Accomplished" proves how fair and balanced Fox News really is.

Meanwhile so many facts, bluntly posted here, and accurately saying Saddam did not have those WMDs - Washington Post reporters were many sources for those facts - that were correct.

Fox News lied. But it is popular with adults who are still children. Who want their emotions enthralled and cannot be bothered with the long dissertations necessary to know reality. Fox News is a propaganda outfit - not news.
UT and I had it out over the Mission Accomplished lie because the Washington Post got so much right. UT did not like those now well proven realities.

UT even denied that Saddam had no WMDs - even after George Jr finally admitted WMDs did not exist. Honest sources including CBS News, NY Times, ABC News, and Washington Post provided what were proven to be honest facts - because each is not a propaganda machine. But a Fox News disciple will deny it forever. That reality does not provide the necessary emotions.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #84
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I didn't deny that; and also, I didn't fall for the two-year-long conspiracy theory called Russiagate, as you and the Washington Post did, over and over and over again, out of no facts at all but sheer childish emotion.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #85
henry quirk

"Fox News is a propaganda outfit"

Yep, just like your favorite outlet.

If you view your favorite outlet as more trustworthy than Fox, then you, sir/madam, are terminally naive, or are just so friggin' skewed as to be *insane (or, mebbe, you're just **'evil').

*if you think I'm talkin' about you, you're right

**if you think I'm talkin' about you, you're right
Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #86
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I didn't deny that; and also, I didn't fall for the two-year-long conspiracy theory called Russiagate, as you and the Washington Post did, over and over and over again, out of no facts at all but sheer childish emotion.
So, you deny denying being in denial without having denied plausible deniability.

Remember, this concerns foreign entities and we have a FISA court that can subpoena everyone in the Cellar who might have knowledge of something that can be used against you.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It all started when Cronkite retired.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #88
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
So, you deny denying being in denial without having denied plausible deniability.
You are Donald Rumsfeld and I claim my £5.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #89
henry quirk

"we have a FISA court that can subpoena everyone in the Cellar"

non serviam

Tags
ping, pong