Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #586
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Maybe the Brits save our ass here.
There are maybe 75 different vaccines in development. If we get lucky, one or a few will be successful. All are currently as promising as that Oxford vaccine.

Problem is obvious. Previous vaccines worked because, first, actual medical processes were first learned. We still do not know how this virus transfers. What in the immune system properly attacks it. Why some, already with antibodies, still get sick again. Or even if the coronavirus, as found in bats, is somehow different after it must first go into some other wild animal before infecting man.

A Mers coronavirus, normally found in some bats, must first go through a camel before it infects man. Why?

All those vaccines are predicated on speculation. On a hope that the necessary underlying science was understood. So that a vaccine, that requires four or ten years, might arrive in 1.5.

At least 3000 coronaviruses have been identified. Plenty more await discovery. Only seven are known to survive in man. Some are more contagious then others. A few cause a cytokine storm that causes death. Many others do not. Why?

A measles vaccine will last a lifetime. It appears immunity from Sars (another coronavirus) only lasts 2 years. Mers - 3 years. Many other flues - only six months. Why? Those two have only been known for one or two decades. So not enough time has existed to understand it.

What is 'memory' in B and T cells that make possible a recovery from Covid-19? Unknown. What then is a vaccine suppose to target to be successful?

What we do know. We still do not know very much.

Every solution (especially those hyped by a scumbag president) are best ignored as only wild speculation. In his case, promoted so that he will be reelected. Screw you Covid-19 victims. He cares about them just like Hitler was concerned with Jewish safety.

Another currently promoted myth, using emotions, is that smokers are better protected from Covid-19. Then we include facts that are too complicated for tweeters or political extremists.

Apparently nicotine tends to bind to a protein called ACE2. This is the protein that is somehow related to cytokine storms. Meaning a Covid-19 victim has less symptoms. But is still infecting others.

So the naive claim smoking is protection from Covid-19 only because the person is asymptomatic - but still infecting others.

Misinformation from sources such as hearsay, The Don, wild speculation, Fox News, and promoters of the Clorox cure.

We have no reason to believe any solution exists in the next 1.5 years. But we sure do have plenty of adults, acting like children, and promoting a solution as almost ready. Because some other stranger told them it was true. Which lies more? Peers or what was read on the internet?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #587
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Apparently nicotine tends to bind to a protein called ACE2. This is the protein that is somehow related to cytokine storms.
Nicotine also treats and prevents Parkinson's disease. The results begin within days of starting patients on a nicotine patch. If you're going into the hospital with COVID-19, maybe bring a box.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #588
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Texas has officially begun opening back up, as you may have heard, and we're starting to get emails and phone calls from all the various doctors whose appointments we've missed, explaining how the rescheduling process will work and what the safety guidelines will look like going forward... One interesting thing is that Minifob was scheduled for sinus surgery at the end of May--now looking like sometime mid-summer--and he will now be required to get a COVID-19 test in the days just before the procedure. They asked if I was okay with that, and I said yes, but I was unsure how we were supposed to make that happen. The receptionist claimed they would write the lab order, and we would take it to CPL just like any regular blood test to have it done. This seems... unrealistic to me. Testing capacity is still way beneath the levels needed to even test symptomatic people, let alone random folks with no symptoms. But hey, I could be wrong. I guess we'll find out.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #589
tw

It looks like a cruise ship convention. In one anchorage is Carnival Pride, Carnival Sunrise, Carnival Elation, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Vista, Carnival Sunshine, with Carnival Pardise apparently heading to port for supplies, Carnival Fantasy resupplying, and Carnival Sensation returning. Carnival Glory is sitting elsewhere at anchor. And Carnival Magic wandering off the Med. Carnival Fascination, Carnival Liberty, and Carnival Dream going who knows where.

Another nearby anchorage has collected Oasis of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas. With Magesty of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas returning for resupply. And Harmony of the Seas being resupplied. Also anchored far out there in the ocean are Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Sihouette, Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Infinity, and Celbrity Reflection.

Scattered elsewhere are Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Sun, and Norwegian Epic.With Norwegian Escape in port being resupplied.

Another anchorage has Msc Meraviglia, Msc Divina, Msc Presziosa, and Msc Seaside.

Plenty of Princess line ships (ie Orlando Princess), Disney (ie Disney Magic, Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy) and numerous other lines also scatter ships in seas between eastern Fl and in a large ocean between Freeport and Nassua Bahama.

A fortune of gigantic ships, once mostly cruising slowly or only drifting in the Gulf Stream, have now conjegated in large groups out in the ocean. Who knew there were that many cruise ships simply off Florida alone? Each ship alone one employeed over 1000 crewmen. Norwegian lines says they may not survive. It is rather hard to believe cruise lines, that carry 3000+ passengers on each ship, would not have major cash flow problems. And being foreign companies, cannot run to a generous US government for liquidity.

How much longer can they keep going to US ports to be resupplied when they cannot pay the bills?
Old 05-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #590
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
If you're going into the hospital with COVID-19, maybe bring a box.
If going to the hospital, then it is probably too late to douse the ACE2 protein with nicotene. Better is to become a guinea pig for a new drug trial.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #591
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
It looks like a cruise ship convention. In one anchorage is Carnival Pride, Carnival Sunrise, Carnival Elation, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Vista, Carnival Sunshine, with Carnival Pardise apparently heading to port for supplies, Carnival Fantasy resupplying, and Carnival Sensation returning. Carnival Glory is sitting elsewhere at anchor. And Carnival Magic wandering off the Med. Carnival Fascination, Carnival Liberty, and Carnival Dream going who knows where.

Another nearby anchorage has collected Oasis of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, and Independence of the Seas. With Magesty of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas returning for resupply. And Harmony of the Seas being resupplied. Also anchored far out there in the ocean are Celebrity Summit, Celebrity Sihouette, Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Infinity, and Celbrity Reflection.

Scattered elsewhere are Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Sun, and Norwegian Epic.With Norwegian Escape in port being resupplied.

Another anchorage has Msc Meraviglia, Msc Divina, Msc Presziosa, and Msc Seaside.

Plenty of Princess line ships (ie Orlando Princess), Disney (ie Disney Magic, Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy) and numerous other lines also scatter ships in seas between eastern Fl and in a large ocean between Freeport and Nassua Bahama.

A fortune of gigantic ships, once mostly cruising slowly or only drifting in the Gulf Stream, have now conjegated in large groups out in the ocean. Who knew there were that many cruise ships simply off Florida alone? Each ship alone one employeed over 1000 crewmen. Norwegian lines says they may not survive. It is rather hard to believe cruise lines, that carry 3000+ passengers on each ship, would not have major cash flow problems. And being foreign companies, cannot run to a generous US government for liquidity.

How much longer can they keep going to US ports to be resupplied when they cannot pay the bills?
This post would have been better with pictures. Like the flyby video of the grounded airliners in California.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #592
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
This post would have been better with pictures.
Any Carnival .... They all look alike.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #593
glatt

Do I have to do everything myself?

Name:  shps.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  144.8 KB
Name:  ships.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  45.3 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #594
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes... and make it snappy.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 AM   #595
Griff
still says videotape

Last week Reuters reported we'd reach 74,000 deaths by August according to the often used University of Washington's model.This week. Might bear improvement.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #596
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
... according to the often used University of Washington's model.This week.
Those numbers suggest 6% who are infected die. That number is rather high. Which indicates how bad the problem may actually be. Number of infected is so low because, at the highest levels of government, there was always a major shortage of test kits.

That death number suggests far more people are / were infected. And undetected.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #597
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Do I have to do everything myself?
Yeph. I love watching people work. It even makes me Hungry.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #598
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/virgin...f-coronavirus/

Quote:
An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”
This story is a couple weeks old which seems a lot longer these days, but still illustrates that Darwinism is still in full effect.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #599
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When people say they won't wear a mask, and going to avoid getting sick by drinking or injecting bleach/disinfectant/magic potion, just say OK.
Darwin appreciates your faith in him.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #600
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

A permanent change to the cityscape

Quote:
Nearly 20 miles of Seattle streets will permanently close to most vehicle traffic by the end of May, Mayor Jenny Durkan announced Thursday.

The streets had been closed temporarily to through traffic to provide more space for people to walk and bike at a safe distance apart during the coronavirus pandemic.

Now the closures will continue even after Gov. Jay Inslee’s stay-at-home order is lifted.
BelovedDaughter lives on one of them. Well, in a house adjacent to one of them...