The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #181
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Ooh, I'd like your sesame noodle recipe, and if you're feeling generous, your mabo (mapo?) dofu!

Arigato!
EDIT EDIT: holy crap, I forgot to mention one thing in the sesame sauce recipe: SUGAR. like a couple teaspoons maybe in there of plain ol' sugar. it makes ALL the difference in the world.

sure

well, the dofu sauce i admit that i get from a packet or a jar, depending on what i can find at the asian store. otherwise extra firm tofu cubed, ground pork, and peas: cook meat, add tofu and peas and sauce, stir gently to not break the tofu up, simmer a bit til it's done and soaked in some of that good flavor, i usually toss a lid on it.

the sesame noodles i use wu-mu dry chinese noodles, which are pretty much just wide linguine-style noodles. they cook nice and fast and have a good flavor for a basic noodle. regular linguine would also work. cook em til they're wiggly, then drain em and rinse repeatedly in cold water til they're.. cold.

the sauce is the important bit, and that i make from scratch: a couple tablespoons of soy sauce (i use a kikkoman low sodium then a splash of regular for a hint of extra salt, but whatever works), red pepper flakes, chopped garlic, ginger, and green onion, a tablespoon or so of rice vinegar, tablespoon or two of sesame oil, a splash of vegetable oil (helps it all stick a little better to the noodles), and a tablespoon or two of hot water. sometimes i cook the noodles in a little beef boullion and use that instead of just plain tap water. adjust to taste, of course - it took me a few tries to get it to how i like it. also, sesame seeds toasted or plain. put the cold noodles in a bowl (preferably with a lid) and add the sauce, shake that stuff up real good and put it in the fridge for a half a day or so to really chill out. a couple more options, too: shredded cabbage, which I forgot to add YET AGAIN today. Cashews, lightly crushed are *awesome*, and so is some boneless skinless chicken breast, marinated in basically the same sauce and pan fried, then stirred into the noodles. and doing it with cashews AND chicken? your face will melt. SO GOOD.

A little memmi sauce thrown in can't hurt either.

I thiiink that's it. summary: it sounds way more complicated than it is. a couple tablespoons of soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flake, sugar, green onion, and vegetable oil. mix in pleasing proportions on 8-10 oz of cold noodles. done.

Last edited by sad_winslow; 06-28-2010 at 09:46 PM.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #182
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
leftover what? ravioli in a can?

i kinda miss those days. a buddy and i lived across the block from one another, wanted to share wi-fi. we needed directional antennas. so we bought two of those giant ravioli cans of chef boyardee and sat down and over the course of a day, we demolished them. may have shared with some passing visitors too, i forget now. breakfast, lunch, and dinner, though. cold out of a can. it was.. glorious?

No, nothing canned. Leftover chicken pie. I did have shrimp, but I think it is past the edible deadline.

Right now I am trying to figure out what to make next without having to buy any supplies.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #183
Pie
Gone and done

Hey thanks, SW. I will have to look for the dofu sauce next time I'm over at the Korean/pan-Asian market. I've made sesame noodles like yours before; I like your addition of veggies and meat. Makes it a complete meal. Have you ever added a bit of peanut butter to the sauce? That seems to expand the sesame flavor a bit.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #184
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Hey thanks, SW. I will have to look for the dofu sauce next time I'm over at the Korean/pan-Asian market. I've made sesame noodles like yours before; I like your addition of veggies and meat. Makes it a complete meal. Have you ever added a bit of peanut butter to the sauce? That seems to expand the sesame flavor a bit.
Yeah the chicken really adds something to it, it's good. Never done peanuts added myself, but I've heard it's great. I can tell you that the unsalted cashews were awesomely awesometastic though, particularly with the chicken too. sometimes i kick in a little splash of sriracha in there just for an extra yum, too - ye gods i love that stuff. just a little in the sauce for an extra oomph. but man, don't forget the sugar in the sauce cause that makes it just a thousand times better, i totally forgot last time. it's still good but the little sweet helps round the whole thing. SO SO GOOD.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #185
monster
I hear them call the tide

kebab meat chip and baked bean sarnie
Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #186
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
It's funny to listen to stories from the Days of Yore when part of the story includes sharing "wi-fi"!

I can see it coming full circle:
"Back when I was a kid we didn't have any fancy stickball bats made out of an old broomstick, we had to play stickball with our Wii..."
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #187
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
kebab meat chip and
What the?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #188
busterb
NSABFD

A pot of okra, eggplant, onion, maters,+1 can hot rotel and gulf shrimp. Shrimp from freezer.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:31 AM   #189
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's What's For Dinner...
Attached Images

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #190
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Gravdigr - really?
Can't say it appeals. I've had enough of the human variety (not enough actually, not recently) to think it's not really an eating piece of meat. In the literal meaning...

Okay - last night's dinner.
I'm going to put family photos in the Aylesbury thread (Quality Images)
These are our dinners.
As previously, this is the menu.

First two - Ste had 7oz fillet steak and I had 9oz rib-eye steak.
Both very moist and cooked as requested. Two thumbs up.
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #191
glatt

I like your dad's dinner choice. Happy Birthday, Sundae.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #192
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mum had the Fish Cobb Salad. She drew the short straw, sadly, as the Fish Platter that four of us shared as a starter was pretty much the same as her main

There was a fair amount of smoked salmon left after the starter - it was a BIG portion - and I was up for asking for a doggie bag for the cats. Then E (my SIL) saw it and snaffled it. Fair enough, it meant it wasn't binned... but she also had my onion rings and Ste's mini-mushroom pie. And she's on a diet. See below.

Second pic is Maureen's Lemon Sole.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #193
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Dads had Open Chicken Pie.
Erika had the diet version of Peri Peri Chicken (potatoes not fries and salad) but as I meanly said above, she did have some other items. Well, it's not like I was starving myself after all!
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #194
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I like your dad's dinner choice. Happy Birthday, Sundae.
That's my brother's meal.
And yes, it did look very nice.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #195
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Damn, now I'm hungry...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote