The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #106
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Short term strategy for the Republicans is to oppose Susan Rice,
in hope that John Kerry will be nominated and appointed.
Then Massachusetts gets to appoint the replacement Senator.

And who do you suppose that might that be, with the initials JPB.?

ETA: I find it a bit more than odd that Republicans who destroyed Kerry's reputation
when he was running for the Presidency, are now campaigning
for his nomination as Sec of State.

Last edited by Lamplighter; 11-28-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: sarcasm
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #107
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Shameless tailposting:

Christie 2016.

If the Repub powerbrokers have even half a brain between them, but that's a big if.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #108
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

He refused to put himself forward last time. I think he knew the republican party as a whole is too wingnutty at the moment. Right now he is not enough to swing that back. He wouldn't increase their credibility, they would strip him of his.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #109
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

good observation Dana.

President Obama made good on his election night promise to meet with Mitt Romney. Today the two of them had lunch at the White House.

Big deal.

Mr Romney doesn't really have any political friends at the moment it seems. It would also seem that he has a *ahem* wealth of disappointed donors. Regardless, the President showed his class by keeping his promise. This wasn't good enough for the right wingnut talk radio fomentors. The lunch was private, no media, but the menu was released. White turkey chili and southwestern chicken salad. The hosts on the radio covered themselves in glory by insisting that Obama was humiliating his guest by insinuating he, Romney, was a white turkey. Several such childish remarks by hosts and guests alike were sprinkled through the conversations today.

They're... disconnected from reality.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #110
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I heard some what I assume you'd consider "the right wingnut talk radio "
They had nothing bad to say about it at all.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #111
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

If you like, I'll start keeping a log. the show, the host, and the time of such statements. Today, Michael Medved was the one who first gave that description. Others talked about how Obama was rubbing his nose in it, since he had to walk past the construction for the inauguration.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #112
classicman

No thanks. I'd rather you mention them specifically, instead of painting them all with that broad brush.
Not that my opinion means much.
OTOH, maybe the radio at the Dr's office wasn't wingnutty enough to qualify.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #113
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Remember it's the wingnuttiness rather than the right wing element that is being pointed to. I daresay there are a fair few decent rightwing commentators around.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #114
classicman

I guess I'm lucky in that there are a couple local people here who aren't wingnuts. Heck, one radio show is totally liberal and is a stark contrast to some of the alternatives.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #115
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The future of the Republican Party will not include, at least in the official player rosters, the name of Senator Jim DeMint, R, South Carolina.

Quote:
Senator Jim DeMint, the conservative Republican from South Carolina who helped incite the Tea Party movement, will leave the Senate to become president of the Heritage Foundation, a conservative research group.
How do you think this will affect what happens in the Senate? The Governor of SC will appoint a replacement, and will almost surely be another Republican. How do you think he'll make more of an impact as an opinion maker as opposed to a law maker?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #116
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is the Republican party taking the same hit as their supporters?
Quote:
Papa John's, Applebee's And Others Pay Huge Price For Anti-Obamacare Politicking
snip
Indeed, so serious was the reaction that Schnatter was forced to publish an op-ed piece where he sought to convince us that he never really intended to cut back worker hours but had simply been speculating on what he might do in response to the legislation.
snip
Papa John’s had good reason for concern as the pizza chain’s brand identity has plummeted from a high of 32 on election day, to a remarkably low score of 4 among adults who have eaten at causal dining restaurants during the past month.
snip
Applebee’s “pre-Terkel” Buzz score of 35 now sits at a pathetic 5.
snip
Darden Restaurants, Inc.— owner of Olive Garden, Red Lobster and LongHorn Steakhouse—has lowered its profit projections for the quarter ending November 25th, acknowledging that its bad numbers are the result of poorly performing promotions, Superstorm Sandy and…wait for it…the poor publicity it engendered by its decision to test out a plan to cut back on healthcare costs by putting more workers on part-time schedules.
snip
Hopefully, other businesses seeking to avoid their responsibilities under the healthcare law—such as Walmart who intends to cut back employee hours in the effort to push workers onto Medicaid rolls rather than take responsibility for their employees’ health care—will get the message.
from Forbes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #117
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Article criticizing current Republican views on foreign policy and ideas of what they need to change.

Quote:
The Republican Party has a long and distinguished foreign policy lineage that currently lies in tatters. The ghosts of Iraq haunt the GOP's foreign policy mandarins, and the antics of right-wing pundits and politicians have further delegitimized the party. As a result, the GOP has frittered away a partisan advantage in foreign policy and national security that took half a century to accumulate.

Absent an Obama foreign policy fiasco -- a real one that commands the country's attention, not the sort of trumped-up ones that resonate only on Fox News and in the fever swamps of the Republican base -- the only way to repair the damage will be for the GOP to take foreign policy seriously again, in Congress and in the 2016 election. This does not mean railing against the isolationists in the party; in truth, their numbers are small. Nor does it mean purging the neoconservatives or any other ideological faction; no group has a lock on sense or wisdom, and there will and should be vigorous policy debate within both parties.

Rather, it means rejecting the ideological absolutism that has consumed the GOP's foreign policy rhetoric in recent years. It means recognizing that foreign policy has nonmilitary dimensions as well as military ones. And it means focusing on the threats and priorities that matter, rather than hyping every picayune concern. Most of all, it means that Republican politicians need to start caring about foreign policy because it is important, not because it is a cheap way to rally their supporters. The GOP has a venerated tradition of foreign policy competence; it is long past time to discover that tradition anew.
http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...licy?page=show
Old 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #118
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

From the snip quoted above : "The fever swamps of the Republican base" - I like that. The GOP is retreating further into the South as if persued by Sherman's March to the Sea. Republican members of Congress with constituencies from the North East and other regions which have escaped the tea party strangle hold are becoming more and more frustrated with a party held ransom by its lunatic fringe.

I don't see tea party members backing off until Obama leaves the White House. They're enraged that a black man has won the presidential election not only once but twice.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #119
classicman

Obama's color has very little to do with the opinion of the VAST majority.
Please stop spreading that lie. What they are angry about has NOTHING to do with race.
That is the opinion of the "lunatic fringe."
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #120
Ibby
erika

I have a question for you, classic. What percentage of our country do you believe is racist to some degree or another?