The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #76
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hey, leave my state out of this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #77
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

via
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffington Post
Strauss and Howe postulate that during this Fourth Turning crisis, an unexpected leader will emerge from an older generation to lead the nation, and what they call the “Hero” generation (in this case, millennials), to a new order. This person is known as the Grey Champion. An election or another event — perhaps a war — will bring this person to power, and their regime will rule throughout the crisis.

“The winners will now have the power to pursue the more potent, less incrementalist agenda about which they had long dreamed and against which their adversaries had darkly warned,” Strauss and Howe wrote in The Fourth Turning. “This new regime will enthrone itself for the duration of the Crisis. Regardless of its ideology, that new leadership will assert public authority and demand private sacrifice. Where leaders had once been inclined to alleviate societal pressures, they will now aggravate them to command the nation’s attention.”

“This is the fourth great crisis in American history,” Bannon told an audience at the Liberty Restoration Foundation, a conservative nonprofit, in 2011. “We had the Revolution. We had the Civil War. We had the Great Depression and World War II. This is the great Fourth Turning in American history, and we’re going to be one thing on the other side.”

The “Judeo-Christian West is collapsing,” he went on. “It’s imploding. And it’s imploding on our watch. And the blowback of that is going to be tremendous.”

War is coming, Bannon has warned. In fact, it’s already here.

It’s war. It’s war. Every day, we put up: America’s at war, America’s at war. We’re at war. White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon, 2015

“You have an expansionist Islam and you have an expansionist China,” he said during a 2016 radio appearance. “They are motivated. They’re arrogant. They’re on the march. And they think the Judeo-Christian West is on the retreat.”

“Against radical Islam, we’re in a 100-year war,” he told Political Vindication Radio in 2011.

“We’re going to war in the South China Seas in the next five to 10 years, aren’t we?” Bannon asked during a 2016 interview with Reagan biographer Lee Edwards.

“We are in an outright war against jihadist Islamic fascism,” he said in a speech to a Vatican conference in 2014. “And this war is, I think, metastasizing far quicker than governments can handle it.”

In a 2015 radio appearance, Bannon described how he ran Breitbart, the far-right news site he chaired at the time. “It’s war,” he said. “It’s war. Every day, we put up: America’s at war, America’s at war. We’re at war.”

To confront this threat, Bannon argued, the Judeo-Christian West must fight back, lest it lose as it did when Constantinople fell to the Ottomans in 1453. He called Islam a “religion of submission” in 2016 — a refutation of President George W. Bush’s post-9/11 description of Islam as a religion of peace. In 2007, Bannon wrote a draft movie treatment for a documentary depicting a “fifth column” of Muslim community groups, the media, Jewish organizations and government agencies working to overthrow the government and impose Islamic law.

“There’s clearly a fifth column here in the United States,” Bannon warned in July 2016. “There’s rot at the center of the Judeo-Christian West,” he said in November 2015. “Secularism has sapped the strength of the Judeo-Christian West to defend its ideals,” he argued at the Vatican conference. The “aristocratic Washington class” and the media, he has claimed, are in league with the entire religion of Islam and an expansionist China to undermine Judeo-Christian America.

This sort of existential conflict is central to Strauss and Howe’s predictions. There are four ways a Fourth Turning can end, they argued, and three of them involve some kind of massive collapse. America might “be reborn,” and we’d wait another 80 to 100 years for a new cycle to culminate in a crisis again. The modern world — the era of Western history that Strauss and Howe believe began in the 15th century — might come to an end. We might “spare modernity but mark the end of our nation.” Or we might face “the end of man,” in a global war leading to “omnicidal Armageddon.”

Now, a believer in these vague and unfounded predictions sits in the White House, at the right hand of the president.

“We’re gonna have to have some dark days before we get to the blue sky of morning again in America,” Bannon warned in 2010. “We are going to have to take some massive pain. Anybody who thinks we don’t have to take pain is, I believe, fooling you.”
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #78
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I find it scary how many people hang on his every word.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #79
Happy Monkey

I find it scary how one person in particular does.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #80
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

https://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=523

I was a big fan of the book, as I believe was SteveDallas. Ask Me Anything
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #81
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I find it scary how one person in particular does.
Shades of Park Geun-hye.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #82
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Orwell
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #83
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I find it ironic that Bannon uses "Judeo-Christian West" as code for "white people," even though he hates the Judeos.

I agree that crisis was/is inevitable, and that America will fall someday, but only because these things happen everywhere forever. Where are the great Turnings in other cultures and societies? I guess you could argue that it's the very fact that ours happen so close together that makes their results so extra dramatic...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #84
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Michael Flynn is the first casualty of the Trump administration cabinet. If the allegations are true, he should be prosecuted.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, the national security adviser, resigned on Monday night after it was revealed that he had misled Vice President Mike Pence and other top White House officials about his conversations with the Russian ambassador to the United States.

Mr. Flynn, who served in the job for less than a month, said he had given “incomplete information” to about a telephone call he had with the ambassador in late December about American sanctions against Russia, weeks before Mr. Trump’s inauguration. Mr. Flynn previously had denied that he had any substantive conversations with Ambassador Sergey I. Kislyak, and Mr. Pence repeated that claim in television as recently as earlier this month.

But on Monday, a former administration official said the Justice Department last month warned the White House that Mr. Flynn had not been fully forthright about his conversations with the ambassador. As a result, the Justice Department feared that Mr. Flynn could be vulnerable to blackmail by Moscow.

In his resignation letter, which the White House emailed to reporters, Mr. Flynn said he had held numerous calls with foreign officials during the transition. “Unfortunately, because of the fast pace of events, I inadvertently briefed the Vice President Elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian Ambassador,” he wrote. “I have sincerely apologized to the President and the Vice President, and they have accepted my apology.”
I'm not sorry to see him go. I found him frighteningly drunk on the Trump Kool-Aid. Yes to torture, calling Islam an ideology and not a religion, etc, etc. Good fucking riddance.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #85
Griff
still says videotape

WARNING: random thoughts falling, paranoia...

This is kind of interesting because there is a fair chance the leaks are really just opposition to Trump's stated goal of improving relations with Russia. Apparently Presidents fall somewhere below the national security apparatus in the pecking order when choosing enemies, because the NSA has dirt on everyone. I'm kind of a fatalist on this progression of the surveillance state; W reacted, Obama made it permanent, and Trump maybe pays the price... feel safer? If they were doing this to Saint Hillary how would Democrats react? She hates Russia sufficiently for the complex though.

I dislike Trump a fair amount but this particular dog should have been put down a long time ago.

Our Allies are investigating his business dealings, that dog may hunt. It may force us to confront our kleptocracy. Nah, we'll let the system slide, but maybe punish this one guy for over-reach.

This is all over the place but it comes back to the Executive Branch appearing too powerful and the Legislative Branch being too broken to provide balance. The two of them are trying unsuccessfully so far to wreck the judicial. It's popcorn time.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #86
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'm kind of a fatalist on this progression of the surveillance state; W reacted, Obama made it permanent, and Trump maybe pays the price... feel safer?
I'm pretty sure that tapping the Russians predates W by a few decades. I'm with you on the general theme, but in this particular instance, that call would have been tapped just as certainly in the '50s or '70s as it was in the '10s.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And there have been traitors on both sides since the Rosenbergs.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #88
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Start by eliminating some fictional emotions. ISIS is a mythical threat similar to Saddam. Timothy McVeigh types remain, by far, a greater threat. Fear only exists because wackos promote it.

We support allies who are at risk due to ISIS. Support does not constitute and should not be considered war. It is their threat and their war. And only they can solve it by first acting in an informed and unified manner - a statement directing attention to Turkey and Israel.

Second, we have no idea what Flynn and Putin discussed. Those details are essential long before making any conclusions. And those details should be considered by Justice to make appropriate decisions.

Ironically, Trump fired Flynn for lying. Then blames the press for his 'resignation' rather than admit his administration said, "Your fired." How many apprentices were also forced to resign by the press?

Third, a whole third issue exists with cozy and constant communication between Russian spies and top Trump officials. That third issue also required extensive vetting in part because we know lying in the Trump administration (for advancing Trump; not America) is situation normal.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #89
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Start by eliminating some fictional emotions.
It's alternative logic. Your vernacular is out of date.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:30 PM   #90
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sweden, FFS? Using it as an excuse to shop at IKEA.....