The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-18-2004, 12:38 PM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

Externships and the Culinary Arts

So I'm thinking about attending culinary school, and the school I'm interested in includes a 3 month "externship". Try as I might, I cannot find any kind of definition for that word. Google turns up little in the way of definition, and I found definitions at m-w.com, but I'm just having a tough time figuring out how it differs from an internship.

And as long as we're on the subject, has anyone here attended culinary school? Any advice, especially from the financial aid arena, would be more than welcome. I'm trying to figure out how to juggle school, work and single-dadhood, and I'm thinking there has to be a way to get aid to go full-time without having to worry about keeping a job.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
jinx
Come on, cat.

I dated a guy who went to the CIA, but he's gay now and hates me so I can't really ask him for any advice for you . Also, I have a friend that went to Johnson & Whales and is now the catering director at the Citadel. I could hook you up with her if you want.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Depending on how much you make, you might be able to get Federal grants, but be sure to check at the state and local level too. Look for any grants/scholarship that are offered. And you can always get a Federal loan...and if you've already done 2 years of college, you get the max, I think (around $3K a semester).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
I dated a guy who went to the CIA, but he's gay now and hates me so I can't really ask him for any advice for you .
That's gotta be an interesting story.
Quote:
Also, I have a friend that went to Johnson & Whales and is now the catering director at the Citadel. I could hook you up with her if you want.
Actually, I might take you up on that. Once I decide I'm really serious about it, I'll throw together a few questions you can pass along if you feel like it.

I'm going to an open house Thursday, the school is
Cook Street Culinary School. Thing is, they want 22k, which seems like a whole lot of money and I really don't know that there's a payoff at the end, so I have more research to do.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
That's gotta be an interesting story.
I forgot you were in CO. He's actually executive chef at a fancy restaurant in Denver (if you go this route I'll give you the name, maybe you can go talk shit about me and endear yourself to him). Seems like a pretty happening restaurant scene out there. The school you linked looks very cool.

Quote:
Actually, I might take you up on that. Once I decide I'm really serious about it, I'll throw together a few questions you can pass along if you feel like it.
Yeah, no problem, she's a sweety and I wouldn't mind the excuse to contact her again. I think she's single too...
Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

Did you see this definition?

Externships/Internships
Within the Hospitality, Culinary Arts and Service Management Division, both internships and externships are required. An internship usually occurs first, and the student does a semester at a Paul Smith's affiliated job site. After the student has done a semester interning at a Paul Smith's job site, they do an externship for a property that is outside of the Paul Smith's affiliation.
Other departments also require an externship. These include the Surveying, Urban Tree and Recreation majors. These are done outside the affiliation of Paul Smiths, thus they are called externships.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #7
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Did you see this definition?

Externships/Internships
Within the Hospitality, Culinary Arts and Service Management Division, both internships and externships are required. An internship usually occurs first, and the student does a semester at a Paul Smith's affiliated job site. After the student has done a semester interning at a Paul Smith's job site, they do an externship for a property that is outside of the Paul Smith's affiliation.
Other departments also require an externship. These include the Surveying, Urban Tree and Recreation majors. These are done outside the affiliation of Paul Smiths, thus they are called externships.
I sure didn't. Is that from the page I linked?

Edit: Know what? I'm an idiot.

Last edited by perth; 10-18-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
marichiko

So are you interested in becoming a chef or a restaurant manager at some posh place?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

a chef of some kind, I'm not picky. I need to get out of the industry (tech) I'm currently in before I get too frustrated with it. I've always loved cooking and both the art and science of it fascinate me, so I think I could find my true calling there. Being a computer nerd has always felt like a "pitstop" and over the past couple weeks the divine (hah!) inspiration hit, so since I have nothing better to do, and since I'm already in the middle of massive life upheaval, I thought I might as well go learn to get paid doing something I love.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #10
marichiko

Ahhh... Well, we can always use one more good chef in the Springs area! I was going to suggest that you check out DU's school of Hotel and Restaurant Management. They give scholarships and their grads start at $70K/year, but they don't teach culinary arts, unfortunately. I know the guy who is the Chef for McKenna's - not sure how he got the gig, but he makes good money and he loves working there! Good luck to you and let us know where you ending up cooking. I want to come sample your cuisine!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

My nephew is looking into getting into a culinary school, and one of his choices is CIA.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Thing is, they want 22k, which seems like a whole lot of money and I really don't know that there's a payoff at the end, so I have more research to do.
Lot of money but it must include meals.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #13
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Lot of money but it must include meals.
And a trip to Europe, so it's not all bad. I'm really kind of getting myself stoked up for it, which is dumb because I'm not even close to starting, but for the first time since... well, ever, I feel like I've hit upon a really good idea for my future. And looking at the tragedy I made of these cookies tonight, I suspect I could stand to learn a *lot*.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:48 PM   #14
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

geez.. uh I'd just like to ask a silly question first if I may..

have you worked in the foodservice industry in a managerial capacity before?

( I have attended 'chef school' and have been in food service for about 16 years now.. I do have my degree (although I went about it the backwards way.. apprenticing to several chefs over the years and then taking my tests...))

and the thing is that if you're having a hard time juggling your current career and the single parent thing.. wow man, think of another proffesion.. 60+ hour work weeks, no weekends off.. no holidays off... it's a brutal career choice (although it can be very satisfying at times)

if you have any questions about it I would be more than happy to answer them.