The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-14-2002, 01:21 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Exercise

Quick survey without a poll question thread.

What do you do for exercise?

For the last n years I've done nothing whatsoever, and this may relate to the fact that I've become a disgraceful wide load.

Recently I've been walking for like 40 minutes a day, because it's fall and thus not hot as hell out there. This seems to work for me. Everything else has just not worked, just not been enjoyable enough to keep going, or hard to maintain, etc.

What do y'all do, or do you do nothing?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
dave

Sadly, I've not yet purchased a bicycle. This has had more to do with the fact that I've been buying mad computer parts for some systems I'm building over anything else. I try to keep a few grand spare in the bank, so getting up to where I feel comfortable buying a bike hasn't happened.

I make up for it by being less lazy overall. I never take the elevator anymore - I always take the stairs in the office (usually 6-10 flights/day). I try to get up and move around more frequently.

Of course, I always take the opportunity to engage in the best exercise there is - sex!

Here shortly, I'm going to purchase a membership at Gold's Gym and mwbEEf and I are going to start hitting it 4 or 5 days each week after work. I'll write more about it after it happens.

(I'm down 5 belt notches in a little over 2 months and need to buy either a new belt or a leather punch. All that by eating better and doing a little bit more physically. Yay!)
Old 10-14-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
Xugumad
Punisher of Good Deeds

For the last five years, walking between 1.5-2 hours every day. Right now, theoretically going to the gym and doing high-stress weight exercises for 1-2 hours every day.

X.
Xugumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:05 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I don't do any set excerice, I just walk to class everday, doesn't exactly help me get in shape but keeps me from becoming terribly pathetic.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:47 PM   #5
hermit22
sleep.

Run for about an hour 3 times a week. Go to the gym 3-4 times a week, although all this kind of got curtailed when school started.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:04 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Got a $1 bike at Goodwill (classic Schwinn 3 speed girls touring bike- its a beauty) had it tuned-up, and have biked the last year and a half to work. I walk if it's too icy or wet- about 30 minutes.
Walking is great, I do best with some tunes on.

I have access to a University rec center, which I should make better use of. I've never done gym weights or machines- they're kinda intimidating. I swim laps when motivated. I'm always happy after I go- its that after work time bubble, like right now, when I wimp out. I'm shooting for 3x week. reality so far is maybe 1x week.

I am planning to do some more skating because its fun and I found new skates at a garage sale. I also dance around like a spaz when no one's looking 'cause thats fun too.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:22 PM   #7
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

Usually I do about 3 hours of soccer practice on an off day, and 2 full 40 minute halves (plus OT) during game days. Games are 3 times a week, typically, so thats about 4 hours of game-paced running every week, and then practice.

All you people who dont get enough excerciese, wanna trade?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:48 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

How're those shin splints comin' along there verb? Thats a grind. I'm riding a minimum of two hours twice a week once mountain once road. We did a 60 mile romp Saturday, felt great. This winter will be the test not much daylight and I'll be working outside the house more. If we get good snow the X country skiing should hold back the sag.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:53 PM   #9
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

I generally workout on my exercise bike for a half hour (and look forward to using my real bike when I force myself to use it) and then do some weightlifting afterwards every other day or so.

I've been feeling a bit weird/under the weather so I don't have the desire to work out right now.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

We joined the YMCA recently. I've been doing their Personal Fitness program, which is 12 weeks long (assuming that you go 3 times a week, which as far as I can tell few people manage). I've been doing it for 6 weeks now. It starts with just cardio (treadmill and elliptical), and then adds weights as you go along. I previously had a membership at LA Fitness. I find having a schedule and someone there to help out makes it easier for me to keep up with it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:15 PM   #11
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

12oz Curls....
Old 10-15-2002, 01:16 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

Curls, situps, pushups, flys 3 times a week, some soccer.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:49 PM   #13
russotto
Professor

Inline skating. I race. It's now off-season for outdoor and I had a bit of a difficulty with the indoor rink last year, so it's butt-sitting for me for now.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Never could exercise just to exercise. Too much wasted time and effort. Any yet my waist is only 1 inch more than it was in college wrestling.

Stairs - take them two at a time. If I don't feel something in my chest or legs when I got to the top, then I wasted time and energy.

Shopping mall - don't waste time wandering the lot for a parking space. Park far out and jog in. Get into the store faster as well as healthier.

Groceries - want the biggest bags they have. Prefer them above 50 pounds each. Leave the shopping cart at the entrance and carry them to the car. If bags are too light, then hold them away from my body. All groceries must be carried into the house in one load - without stopping. Should feel something in my arms when I get in the kitchen.

Errands of less than a mile - never use the car. Always must use a bicycle. Besides a one mile trip is so destructive to the car. Even bike whenever possible to errands of many miles. That includes riding out for a beer on those delightfully hot summer nights.

Been doing for generations what Subway's Jerrod has been doing. For example, a carrot is about 100% of the necessary Vitamin A. Eat one carrot. That is nutritious. Eat a second carrot. Junk food. The second carrot provides nothing but lots of sugar. Note how it works.

Hunger is the body's demand for nutrition. Drink a diet soda. The body gets no nutritiion and becomes even more hungry. The solution to dieting is to each nutritious foods - and avoid diets. For example, a good hearty meal a the Old Country Buffer does most every item in the salad bar and in the counter of beans, corn, and mashed potatoes. Eat as much as I can. No visits to non-nutritional foods such as the ice cream, cakes, and brownies. Sometimes I may not get hungry again until late the next afternoon - because the body does not cry out for more nutrition. No junk food means less hunger.

This is also how I would remove 20% of my body weight as a wrestler. Just eat good food. Ben & Jerry's may taste like good food - but it is banned for being too tasty and not nutritional. (I am not perfect. Cherry Garcia has visited but rarely lasts more than two days.)

Soda - nearly none. Soda does not quench a thirst anyway. Again, thirsty because the body needs water AND the various salts assocated with that liquid. Soda, Gator Ade, Ice Tea, and diet drinks don't provide same. Skim milk solves the thirst by providing what the body demands. Diet soda only provides water and leaves the body dragging in the next hour. But again, it is all about providing what the body needs - and not what is tasty.

Late night snack? Sometimes throw some frozen peas in the microwave - or the vegatables from a package of 'Make a Meal'.

Was I eating right? Play the game Freecell every day. All games are winnable. Lose two days in a row means food eaten on days previous was not nutritious. Intellegence level today is determined, in part, by yesterday's diet. That same bad diet brings on obesity and fatigue.

Fatigue - body has a shortage of energy providers and too much sugars.

I do volunteer work on construction. Those who are 20 and 30 years younger often ask where I get so much energy. I don't waste time exercising. But then I rarely take the elevator. Even take escalator steps two at a time and don't understand why others are just standing there - trying to get fat.

After I broke my foot, it took time to get back into the rythme. It has to slowly become habitual. Always climb stairs at a pace that leaves a thumping in the chest. Your pace may vary. But as the month progress, they just don't make stairs long enough.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:07 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
it is all about providing what the body needs - and not what is tasty.
It may work for you, but my body needs, requires a level of tastiness or my quality of life is compromised. Food is a source nutrition and of great pleasure. The deal is that tasty need not be bad, and not overendulged. I also think the second carrot may give you some other benefits beyond the vitamin content- fiber, roughage, and a pleasant teeth cleasing crunch.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote