The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-20-2003, 06:58 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nice image

This is a shot that doesn't make it to IotD for kinda technical reasons... it's too ordinary.

Look at it.

What is it? Totally ordinary. There isn't much to it. Maybe a little too cutesy. Three typical young girls. So what?

Left to right, Nazi, Shadaba and Eqlima wait to go outside and play during an indoor ceremony officially opening the newly installed playground and the re-opening of the refurbished Khar Khana Kindergarten, on Monday, Jan. 20, 2003, in Kabul, Afghanistan. The school and playground were refurbished by the British contingent of the International Security Assistance Force.

Three girls who are bored with all the pomp and circumstance, and who just want to go outside and play. And now you see it again and say: I'm so glad these little girls are bored, or in the case on the right, anguished. Because they have to sit with their new school materials in a new school, waiting to play on their new playground, when 3 years ago females were not allowed to be taught to read or to show themselves at all.

History turned the right way for these girls. Fortune and the British taxpayers have given them a chance, at just the right age.

The coiffed hair, the baby-fat cheeks, the alert eyes, all look like great things now. They aren't ordinary at all.

The middle one is cute, and it reminds me that Afghanistan under the Taliban found itself with rather high rates of homosexuality. The very simple explanation: "If we cannot see the faces, we do not know if they are pretty," said one Afghan man.

I do not understand this, because the Afghan women, they are all pretty.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
verbatim
Vice-President of Resentment

the girl on the right....hahahahahaha
Old 01-20-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Re: Nice image

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
...they are all pretty.
I'm not so sure about Eqlima. Maybe she's just having a bad day. Nice photo.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It has to be said ...

"Nazi?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:14 AM   #5
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Bah. Not nearly as exciting as I'd hoped. I was figuring it was something spectacular like two unnamed mid-eastern factions' little kids happy and blissfully side by side, waiting for the day where they to can "awaken" to a life long hate for the girl next to them who just moments ago was a friend...

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think Eqlima's going to hate everybody. Not because of membership in any particular faction. She's just going to hate everybody. On general principle.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

Maybe these girls are wary. They've seen the falling back to Taliban ways.

Pretty is the least of their squandered assets.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:10 PM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I try to respect the religion of others (Gods know I need the same in return), but I really have a hard time stomaching a theological interpretation which inspires abuse of anyone.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to find a term to describe the fundamentalist muslim treatment of women that isn't synonymous with abuse, so there it is...
Old 01-21-2003, 01:15 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Unfortunately, I just can't seem to find a term to describe the fundamentalist muslim treatment of women that isn't synonymous with abuse, so there it is...
The one they use is "respect". It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

"Slavery" seems to express the relationship for me.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #11
Bitman
cellar smellar

A girl named "Nazi"? At a kindergarten named "KKK"? In Afghanistan? This is too tempting, I better quit.

But I'm curious about the history of that name, especially since World War II. And also the pronunciation.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'd guess it's closer to the 'british'/Churchillian pronounciation than the american.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I'd guess it's closer to the 'british'/Churchillian pronounciation than the american.
Afghani is written in the Arabic script, isn't it? If so, whoever transliterated that name ought to be ashamed of himself.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Afgan treatment of women makes "barefoot and pregnant"
seem enlightened.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
I try to respect the religion of others (Gods know I need the same in return), but I really have a hard time stomaching a theological interpretation which inspires abuse of anyone.

I'm not sure I can think the the 'fundamentalist treatment of women' in any existing religion, except maybe Wiccan, as being particularly friendly.

Of course, I have not checked out Buddhism and Hinduism, so this might be a sweeping statement. There is one prayer I know which goes 'Thank God for not making me a woman'. To which, if I ever decided to use it in my wife's hearing, she would certainly reply 'If it meant being forced to put up with (*)&)(*& like you, I'd agree.'
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote